Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Schott speaks

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Schott speaks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 09:56 pm:

Blah, blah, blah...

"http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/oak/news/oak_news.jsp?ymd=20040306&content_id=646529&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 10:09 pm:

I actually kind of like the article--man would I love to see Oakland's Jack London Park by 2007 or 2008...

Sure hope he gets Chavvy signed...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 02:32 pm:

Either he talks a good game or he's not as bad an owner as we all imagine.

Should we give him some of the credit for putting together a winning team with one of the lowest revenue bases in baseball? (Please don't rain verbal abuse on me; I still haven't made up my mind about the guy.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 05:13 pm:

5th time, I'll lay off ya but trust me a verbal onslought is coming your way from someone.

Anyway, I agree with the former in your first sentence. First off, the whole revune thing is deceptive b/c a lotta these owners understate their revenues by deferring revenue from ancillary MLB operations to other business enterprises. Also, according to Ray Ratto Schott is worth billions upon billions of dollars from his real estate endeavors. He really could afford to take a slight loss to keep a few star FAs. He'd still be a billionare.

Anyway, point is I think the A's books are cooked big-time.

Also, if he's so hung-up on a stadium, he'd probably be behooved to keep the likes of miggy, giambi, foulke, etc. The team would be more competitive (even though we already are), we'd make more of a run in the postseason, and that might generate more appeal w/respect to a stadium. Point is, you gotta spend $ to make it.

Lastly, the dude wants to move the A's outta Oakland, which ain't cool. I can live w/Fremont...which could secure both South and East Bay corporate sponsorships and retain the large # of average fans (like you and I) in the Oakland-area. San Jose/Santa Clara and Sacremento aren't good options in my view at all--smaller fan base then if you were centered in the East Bay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 05:16 pm:

Another thing about schitt, the Bay Area and East Bay media is really really tame and doesn't grill him/put him under a microscope like what would happen in the East Coast or even in SF. This basically makes it easier for him to pull his BS...less scrutiny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 09:21 pm:

Schott gets a free ticket.
We all know there are 2 sets of books.
But the media NEVER challenges him when he whines about not having money or claims to "just break even."
What a bunch of crap.
Nobody needs to ever read anything said by Schott.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 09:38 pm:

Ratto is the only one who has written the truth about Schott.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 12:07 am:

also, as everyone knows you don't own an mlb team to make money. you do it for the love of the team and game/winning/community. don't believe schott gives a damn about any of the three.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 08:07 am:

Hard to buy what he says based on past actions.

Remember, in 1972 Steinbrenner told the press that he was going to be a "observer" and "hands off" owner.

I'll believe it when I see it Schotzie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 09:13 am:

I'm confused, if the East Bay is his priority, then WHY does he care about territorial rights so much?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 09:26 am:

Because he is a south bay guy and really wants the A's in the Suoth Bay.

He speaks with forked toungue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 01:06 pm:

I'm sure Sam Spear (Schott's PR guy) has gotten the word from his good friend Dickey and put their boss up to date on the "territory" issue:

Giants market: Despite what A's owner Steve Schott thinks, the attempt by the Giants, under Bob Lurie's ownership, to build a stadium in the San Jose area is not the reason the area currently is defined as a Giants market.

When the current Giants ownership group bought the team in 1992, its contract with Major League Baseball specified that nobody could put a team in the San Jose area. The area is fairly evenly divided among A's and Giants fans, but the Giants have tapped into Silicon Valley businesses for luxury suites and charter seat licenses. Understandably, they don't want the A's to relocate there and siphon off that money.

Lest we forget: The A's success with their minor-league system dates to when Walter Haas bought the team before the 1981 season.

Charlie Finley's cutbacks had devastated the organization, but under the leadership of Roy Eisenhardt, Wally Haas and Sandy Alderson, the A's developed a farm system that produced three consecutive Rookie of the Year winners -- Canseco, McGwire and Walt Weiss. Jason Giambi and Miguel Tejada also were signed when Schott and Ken Hofmann bought the team.

E-mail Glenn Dickey at gdickey@sfchronicle.com.

PS: Ramon Hernandez was also part of the above group of players. So was Billy Beane, Grady Fuson and Ricciardi of the scouting development dept...
among others.

And last but not least...Schott bought the team for less than half the market value with a 10 year lease which he proceeded to break via a lawsuit...he never intended to keep the team in Oakland and has yet to give up his pipe dream to relocate to the South Bay.

Hey, maybe he should look into building a ballpark somewhere in India...that's where all the silicon $$$$$$ jobs have gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 03:37 pm:

From the article: "You have to give them their shot. Miguel [Tejada] was in the same position. Miguel came up and earned his stripes.

I thought Tejada signed with Baltimore, not the Yankees. (Poor choice of words by Schott.)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.