Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Reggie speaks out on steroids

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Reggie speaks out on steroids
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 08:52 am:

Yeah, I know the denial loyalists and apologists will come forward to criticize Reggie...

But I personally feel it is about time some ex players come forward to try to preserve the integrity of the game before it is too late.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1756472

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 09:52 am:

I still love Reggie.

I remember him carrying the A's for months at a time.

Always pulling the hammy though..

Who else can hit three consecutive pitches out of the yard in a World Series Game?

Just Reggie. He was "The straw that stirs the drink".

"There isn't enough mustard in the whole world to cover that hot dog." - Darold Knowles

He has the right to say what he wants about this. His HOF credentials give him the right.

I would like to hear what Aaron has to say about this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 09:57 am:

I'm not the hugest Reggie fan but I'm glad he spoke out. He pretty much ripped Bonds and the players union. Putting myself in Reggie's shoes, I'm sure I would have a similar reaction. Why should he just sit back and watch roided out players destroy these records, while Reggie and Aaron and many others accomplished their feats legitimately?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:02 am:

I'm guessing Hank Aaron won't say a lot. It's not his style. He experienced an incredible amount of racism throughout his entire career. He is also I believe the most underrated superstar baseball has seen. Possibly the best player ever but doesn't get that kind of credit.

Yet, you don't hear him complain about these things, so I doubt he will complain about steroids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:20 am:

Even though the Rickster won't speak out, he did give one rickie-like statement when he heard that only 19% of players were not in some sort of performance enhancement substance:

He said, 'make that 20% because I'm not into that stuff either...water is boring but that's what I use to help my performance' (paraphrasing of course)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:24 am:

Now the FDA is cracking down on andro:

"http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=3&u=/ap/20040311/ap_on_he_me/andro_crackdown"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 01:58 pm:

Reggie Jackson is and always was about ONE THING---HIMSELF

THE GUY IS A JERK...who happened to hit a lot of homeruns while batting a riproaring .262 and striking out 2600 times...

..and he is PISSED that ballplayers are making the money they are making today while he has to earn money selling his autograph to 7 year old kids...

Thanks for your input Reg-- by the way...did you get a paycheck for your comments?

--I wouldn't put it past ya--

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 03:50 pm:

Of course he got paid.

I loved Reggie as a player..

but we all know if he did a story, the reporter bought him a steak dinner minimum.

"sigh*

Just like old times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 04:40 pm:

This is silly.
So what if Reggie's a jerk?
He's speaking the truth.
Might as well say Bonds obviously does steroids because he is a jerk!
(not that we don't have a slew of other reasons to believe in Bonds' guilt already)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 06:17 pm:

kevin....

I hate Bonds and the Giants EVEN MORE than the rest of ya'all but one point of TRUTH:
HE IS THE ONE OF THE VERY BEST TO EVER PLAY THE GAME...EVER, EVER... EVER.

A LOT BETTER THAN THE STRIKEOUT KING AND SELLOUT REGGIE JACKSON...the guy needs a real job and a life.

And to be honest, NOTHING has been proven... NOTHING. And "TRUTH" as you put it is not actually TRUTH until it is proven...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 08:52 pm:

don't like reggie but he's totally on-point here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:23 pm:

Bonds has no rings.
Reggie has a drawer full of them.
Whatever you think of Reggie, give the man his due when it comes to playing baseball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 08:36 am:

He has always played on teams that end up going to the playoffs and obviously has a number of championships under hid belt---I give him his due here
But on the steroid issue--the guy is one very resentful SOUR GRAPE largely because he has to earn his $$ by charging children for his name on a piece of paper
and he treats people very much like Bonds does--
LIKE CRAP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 08:49 am:

Yes...Bonds is one of the greatest players ever and more than likely would still be even if he wasn't or isn't juiced. Roids may increase your power and ability to work out and develop muscle mass but it doesn't teach you how to hit or read pitches or swing smoother (although bat speed may be connected). He deserves SOME due just as a great player..But I still don't like him.

Reggie Jackson is a huge egomaniac and always has been. He is constantly claiming a 160 IQ, he is always parading his accomplishments and he has always been a money guy.

Reggie is also one of the real great stories in baseball and one of the greatest A's players ever.
Reggie could have been with the A's forever, Finley COULD have kept him. Ask me sometime and I will give you the entire story of how he got to Baltimore.

What Reggie did in Oakland and in NY in the post-season was amazing. Especially when you consider the odds that he was up against in NY. Nobody on the team would talk to him. He pissed off Thurmon Munson big time before he ever showed up there with that whole garbage in the press. Billy Martin didn't want him on the team at all (Billy wanted to be the only Hot Dog and didn't consider Reggie "Yankee material") and resented Georgie wining and dining Reggie all the time (Billy never got so much as a sandwich from George while Jackson was being taken to the swank eateries). Martin would bench Reggie on a regular basis for Paul Blair to go out and play right. For Billy, it was all out war with Jackson and Georgie.

Reggie was benched in the final game of the playoffs in 1977 (Royals I believe) and Reggie came in to pitch hit for the DH late in the game and drove in a run. The winning run Ironically, was driven in by Paul Blair.

Martin DID have Reggie in the four spot in the series after that. He was starting to warm up to some of the players. Munson never forgave him though and Thurman WAS the Captain and team favorite so it never really got very warm or inviting for Reggie. He homered in game four and again in game five but would be replaced in late innings by Blair. Then came game six Reggie hit three consecutive HR's off three different pitchers on three consecutive pitches.

Reggie Jackson as an A's player or as a Yankees player was one of the greatest, most exciting and most clutch players to have ever put on a uniform.

Yes he was and maybe still is a bit of an egomaniac but Reginald Martinez Jackson earned every single thing he ever had and nobody ever made it easy on him and he never cheated in any way.

Show him some F'king respect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 09:54 am:

goldtymer

Yes he was and maybe still is a bit of an egomaniac but Reginald Martinez Jackson earned every single thing he ever had and nobody ever made it easy on him and he never cheated in any way.

Show him some F'king respect.

I totally agree with the above. Being a jerk has nothing to do with what Reggie did as an Oakland A's player.

It is astounding to notice how much the mediots in the Bay Area have shaped and denigrated the Oakland A's legendary players, i.e. Rickey and Reggie along with their legacy in MLB.

This mis-information and pro Giants' propaganda has totally shaped the opinions of an entire generation of fans.

If one adds to the above, the lack of respect the present organization has shown for the Oakland A's history and legacy, one can only expect a fandom with no pride and love for the glorious baseball the A's have brought to this area in such a brief period of time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 10:15 am:

What has the organization done to show disrespect to the legacy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bruin1946 on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 10:35 am:

To me the biggest issue arising out of the use of performance enhancing drugs is dramatically improved eyesight. This is a key benefit from the use of HGH which the Chronicle reported Bonds took. Bonds has been touted has having one of the best eyes in the Bigs.That is flat out cheating. I've been watching Big League ball since it came to the Bay Area in 1958.Bonds is not even close to the player Mays was. Without these drugs he would not have surpassed Mays records or of another player that was also better than him-Ricky. By the way, until recently, Bonds routinely demanded money from kids at Spring training for his autograph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 11:09 am:

...ust like the good ol days... Reggie is in trouble again for talking too much :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1757710

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 11:38 am:

One thing I failed to mention is how much Reggie refers to Aaron. He is not saying it is unfair to Reggie, he is saying it is unfair to Aaron.

NOBODY (except maybe Jackie Robinson) had it harder than Aaron, not even Maris. Maris did get a couple threats and the media was rough on him but he was much maligned due to his own stand-offish nature (and a little incident with his middle finger).

Aaron experienced extreme threats, racism, pressure, you name it and he had NO HELP at all except the support of a few team members. No supplements, no huge 50 HR seasons, no enhancing stuff. Henry just grinded it out, year in, year out he was OUTSTANDING and perhaps the most feared hitter of his time.

I like that Reggie feels the need to stand up for Hank.

Do you think it would be fair for a hitter that took roids and HGH to surpass Aarons record?

Is the playing feild fair? Does Bonds break Aarons record if he doesn't do roids?

Would be classy if he retired one short....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 12:28 pm:

You're absolutely right, gt.

Of course it would be unfair, particularly when we're talking about the career HR record, arguably the most sacred record in sports.

It's a plain shame that MLB couldn't put drug testing in place years ago, so that we wouldn't end up so uncertain now as to whether or not Bonds's 73 HRs were legitimately obtained.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 12:41 pm:

It is so humorous to me that so many of you defend these people like they are your FRIENDS...

Ballplayers like Jackson and Bonds underpay people like you and me to clean the grass from their shoes and wash their toilets---and would not give us the time of day if money was not involved...

it is just one sad truth about professional sports...

It is just one guys' opinion folks--no need to get all worked up--

besides it makes for interesting reading at the OAFC!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 12:45 pm:

GOOD OL' NUMBER 44 (OR 9 HERE IN OakTown):
"They told me I was quarantined. They told me I can't even go outside," Jackson jokingly told the New York Daily News. "I'm in enough trouble already. I'm going to go stand next to Jeter and A-Rod."

Good idea REGG, maybe they'll pick up the tab...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 01:00 pm:

Being a great person is not a prerequisite for being a great ballplayer. Ty Cobb..was a despicable human being, Ruth was a sloth.

There is something personal about these players that I refer to, that almost makes me feel like I know them. I either have amazing memories of excitement or joy that they have provided to me in amazing and dramatic fashion by their great feats and accomplishments OR because baseball history is my hobby, I have read enough from either the people who played with them or the players themselves to feel I have a flavor for who they are.

How is that for a run-on sentance?

I know Reggie is a character but I think that ego is what made Reggie tick. What made his skin thick enough to perform under tough circumstances. What made him feel like he had something to prove. This, in fact is not a unique phenomenon. It seems like some players need to feel like they are on the outside looking in and and that it is "me against them" in order to perform to capability. This was Ruth, Cobb, Jackson and perhaps Barry.

All kinds of players have given me memories that emblazoned themselves on my memory. Even little guys like Eric Fox who hit that little HR against the Twins. That shot meant so much at the time, that I will never forget it. I guess some part of me feels like he is my friend for having done what he did. He helped us win.

I am an A's fan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 02:32 pm:

goldtymer, since you mentioned our old friend, I think I'll post two responses I received from him after a piece he read on our website a few years back:

On 4/30/2002 I received this e-mail from Eric:

I just got done reading one of your articles on my web page. I must admitt a few chills went through me.
Thank you for all the nice things that were said.
I am currently the AA Manager for the Florida Marlins.
We are in Portland, Maine. Having a great time starting my managerial career.
My main goal is to make it back to the Big Leagues, hopefully some day to wear the Green and Gold again.
Thank you again,
Eric Fox

I will always be a true Oakland A!
My web site is: www.hit400.com

And again on 11/23/2003 I got this second e-mail
The good folks from our old bleachers the "foxhounds" should appreciate his new e-mail adress:

I was just going down memory lane on my website (HIT400.com), and came
across your article. It put a smile on my face. Thank You.
I have been trying to get back with the A's in a coaching capacity, but they
do not even return my phone calls?
I have caoched professionally now for five years, being a hitting coach at
the single A, double AA, and triple AAA levels. Also managed in 2002 for the
double AA affiliate of the Florida Marlins.
If you would like to reach me, my e-mail is : efoxhounds@aol.com.
How about that e-mail address!
Thanks again for the great article,
Eric Fox

http://www.oaklandfans.com/columns/htf/column2.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 02:38 pm:

http://www.oaklandfans.com/columns/htf/column2.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 03:05 pm:

Very cool.

I met both Eric and Troy Neel in one of my clubs back in '92 I believe.

Hung out with Troy a bit, nice guy.

Any idea what happened to Troy? Last I knew, he went to Japan.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.