Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

same ol Sh*t from Selig

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: same ol Sh*t from Selig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:52 am:

Good job, whoknows.

Playing off that last paragraph..latetly, for the first time, I'm leaning towards partial public funding for a stadium (as opposed to zero public funding) simply because I think the effect can go beyond a ballpark -- it can be a catalyst in changing the image of a city (and build revenues for the city that otherwise wouldn't exist). Oakland could use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:07 pm:

Cheap, second class and ghetto, now how are you going to turn that lemon into lemonade?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:12 pm:

A revialization of the Jack London Sq area around the New Ball Park.

(and maybe a new Mayor...)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 06:50 pm:

Sacto, this is your kind of discussion...Where are ya boy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:18 pm:

So much of our perception of things are wrapped up in established images and stereotypes and soundbytes. Whether these sound bytes are a clear reflection of reality is another question. What Oakland needs to do is cultivate a positive sound byte that truly reflect what it is about the city that the citizens love. So my question is what is it that is really unique about Oakland that would make someone unfamilair with this city, want to find out more about it? Is it its physical appearance, its racial harmony and diversity coupled with economic division. Its post industrial age appearance. Its affordable arts community, its alternative music, its budding independent film scene. What makes Oakland unique besides sports? As a life long resident I would like to hear from those who post on this site.

Maybe this should be on its own post?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fanthruitall on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:43 pm:

I (having been born here and having spent a number of my childhood years in THIS city) will say this (at the cost of offending many)

...not sure there is MUCH about Oakland that I absolutely love BESIDES the Athletics who brought glory and honor to this city thru a little silly game called BASEBALL....

This city has always been second fiddle to the "City by the Bay" accept in pro baseball where Oakland's team has won 4 world championships to SF's NONE--nonetheless, SF is the city people talk about because if it's rich cultured history...

But I love the A's...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fanthruitall on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:46 pm:

*that would be EXCEPT...(ah, California schools)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 02:18 pm:

Do you live in Oakland? If so, why live in a place you dont love or at least like?

Life is Too Short....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 03:02 pm:

What is to love about Oakland?

Let's see..

Oakland, Former (or current) home of the Hells Angels AND the Black Panther Party.

Starting South East, let's boast the Oakland Zoo and the hills around (I still call the place Knowland Park Zoo but ..I'm old). You have never played Golf until you have had about a six pack of beer and played the $5.00/$7.00 -9 hole course (walking course) at Chabot Golf Course (off Golf Links) what a treat, really.

Crawling upwards please park at Sequoia point off Skyline and see what a beautiful City Oakland is at night. You may enjoy the glow of the Golden Tower from the Morman Temple there.

You may also take time to check out the many parks up there, great land.

Been to Montclaire or Piedmont?
We have College Avenue/Rockridge for peace and diversity (our little peice of Berkeley really).

We have Jack London Square and Village, we have a port city, on a beautiful bay with thousands of Victorian houses and wonderful Architecture. Filmakers come to our downtown to film our wonderful Gothic buildings.

Lake Merit is a beautiful place to catch a concert or take your child to Fairyland. There are great cultural festivals in the area and wonderful food. Speaking of food, Farmers Market still each Wednesday a couple blocks west of Broadway on 7th?

This place boasts the great Golden Dragon, our own Chinatown and fantastic food whether it is Taqueria Moreno (which may be the best Carnitas ANYWHERE) or Mamas Royal Cafe (what burns down and rebuilds in a new location every few years but has the greatest sandwich menu ANYWHERE). How about Chez Panisse?

Oakland Boasts the Paramount, Oakland has it's own wonderful Ballet and a fantastic arts scene all the way around.

Whether it is the beautiful Bay on one side or the fragrant hills on the other, Oakland is one of the most prime, diverse, and naturally beautiful citys in the country that is sufferring from

NEGLECT!

Wake up and smell the Eucalyptus, if Oakland wasn't mis-managed, under policed and under developed it would be a top tier city.

I can't think of an area with more advantage geographically, topographically and visually that is more wasted and less cared for.

A new ballpark in Oakland (particularly in the Harbor with property developed around it to create a tourism district) is just the kind of revitalization Oakland needs.

Of course the current political climate could give a rats ass about the economic benefits that embracing your sports team for identity could provide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 03:27 pm:

"A new ballpark in Oakland (particularly in the Harbor with property developed around it to create a tourism district) is just the kind of revitalization Oakland needs."

Right on! Damn right! Right on!

I moved to Montclair in '96 after eleven years in SF and I was totally surprised to find beautiful parks like Redwood, Joaquin Miller, and Sibley in our backyard, as it were.

Oakland's strengths are a well-kept secret to outsiders.

BTW Where are Taqueria Moreno and Mamas Royal Cafe? You're making me hungry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 03:40 pm:

Seems like a pretty lengthy list of things Goldtymer, do you work for the chamber of commerce? You dont have to convince me how this place has not even begun to reach its true potential and its primarily because of neglect, mismanagment and maybe a lack of vision from our elected pols.

I guess deep down in your old heart you still have some feelings for this place after all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 03:42 pm:

5th, If you are in Montclaire, you ARE IN the park.

:o )

My Bad-Taqueria Morelia actually

TAQUERIA MORELIA TALK OF THE TOWN

4481 International Boulevard
Oakland, CA 94601-4510 Price:
510-535-6030

MAMAS ROYAL CAFE
4012 Broadway
Oakland, CA 94611-5618
510-547-7600

Mama's, you'll have to call to make sure they are still there., they burn down and rebuild so ofter..I have a hell of a time finding it all over again but.... They do DAGWOOD sandwiches with everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) like 10-12 inches high with layers.

What they have done to the area south of 12th and west of broadway with the Restoration park (nice little Brazilian place to eat in the yellow victorian), farmers Market and restaurants/brewerys has been a good start. But they need a Harbor Ball park bigtime.

San Jose is a joke for potential next to this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 03:46 pm:

Yes Ram, I grew up running around Oakland.

Lived all over the East Bay but I come from a kind of family that has a knack for finding good food and good fun.

I was eating at Morelias and Mama's when I was a kid (that is a long time ago..).

Now in Pleasanton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 04:15 pm:

Ahh, the suburbs...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 04:20 pm:

yes, I am quieting as I age. But being born on the corner of MacArthur & Broadway and having ran around Oakland for most of my youth. I can claim it as home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fanthruitall on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 04:22 pm:

and now you live in suburbia......:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 04:25 pm:

yes...and????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 04:34 pm:

Stop it, both of you!

It's not the Ebola virus, it's the Tri-Valley (a large part of the A's fan base).

Why, is there a seperate board for suburbanites that I don't know about?

(wink).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 05:44 pm:

All fans are welcome here even, "um", suburbanites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 08:46 pm:

Hey, I live in the Tri Valley too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownmojo on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 10:50 pm:

Come on guys, lets not divide ourselves.

We are all A's fans no matter where we live.

I also live in Pleasanton but I don't think that makes me any less of a fan

Lets stick together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:06 am:

I think that they were just teasing the old tymer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 11:11 am:

Yeah they were. That's why I winked.

Even through print I can smell a smirk for miles (27 of them actually).

It's like an AA meeting.."My name is GT and I am a suburbanite"

Chorus "Hi GT".

Kidding aside, I like this place, warmer weather, less crime yet close enough to drive to the excitement of the city.

May have to move soon though...there is a pipe dream pulling at my sleeve for attention..

THE POINT OF all this originally WAS... that if anyone were going to sell a piece of property with a beautiful bay on one side with a port, beautiful hills on the other with great gothic and victorian architecture, culturally diverse roots, a chinatown, a huge arts scene and many beautiful parks....

you would rival it as one of the most prime properties in the country by far.

It is under developed and neglected and it is sad to see what has been happening to Oakland over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By warnerkallus on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 09:40 am:

the A's commitment to remaining in Oakland is underlined by the fact that I spent most of the winter looking for a jersey that said oakland, instead of athletics, and could not do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 09:49 am:

This is why I love it when people start to laugh at Rickey's quotes...myself included...

but yet there are two Rickey quotes that I just love from Rickey...and they don't make me laugh but almost cry:

'I earned and deserve to play for the Oakland A's and for my fans'

'If I could I would be inducted into the HoF with just the word Oakland on my cap'

(paraphrased)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 10:05 am:

Oakland and the whole bay area love Rickey, thats why he is the all time Athletic.

He gets props.

He loves where he comes from and that really matters.

His accomplishments though stand on their own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By warnerkallus on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 02:35 pm:

but rickey taught me an early lesson in life: if you are going to do something truly momentous, and the eyes of the world will be on you , take off your stupid looking wrap around glasses. They may look great today, but you will really date yourself in pictures. - thanks rickey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 02:48 pm:

There's a difference Warner, Rickey makes those glasses look good....

:O )

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.