Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

where are they? former A's players

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: where are they? former A's players
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 06:29 pm:

So I noticed that:

Jeremey Giambi is with LA Dodgers. (I still have a soft spot for him b/c he did play hard for us down the stretch in 2001)

Ryan Christenson (I always liked Ryno!) is playing for the Florida Marlins

But where are:

Jason MacDonald? (Cleveland?) - remember when he had a fight with Kenny Rogers? Speaking of that where is Rogers? (Twins?)
Jorge Valendia? (Mets?)
Greg "Crash" Myers? (Still with Blue Jays?)
Ben Grieve ...someone just posted this a few days ago I know it!
where's MArk Bellhorn these days?
Jose Ortiz??? Mario Encarnacion?
where did Jimmy Haynes sign? Is Mike Oquist out of baseball?

Just wondering...anyone help me out, or know where any of our other former players are?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 06:36 pm:

OMG..."mini G" has it's own website!!

http://www.jgiambi.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 08:09 pm:

Jason McDonald - Hasn't been in the majors since 2000 with Texas. Didn't find him listed for any minor league team.

Jorge Velandia - Currently with Braves in ST.

Greg Myers - Still with the Blue Jays and starting and coming off a great year.

Ben Grieve - Now with the Brewers.

Jose Ortiz - Japan last I heard.

Jimmy Haynes - Now in his 3rd year in Cincinnati. Went 2-12 last season.

Mike Oquist - I'd assume he's out of baseball since he hasn't been in the Majors since 1999.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 09:56 pm:

Whoops noticed I missed some names.

Kenny Rogers - Once again back with the Rangers.

Mark Bellhorn - Now with the Red Sox and will platoon at 2nd base.

Mario Encarnacion - Last in the majors with the Cubs in 2002. Split time with the Expos and Cardinals AAA teams last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:44 pm:

BTW, Kenny Rogers is starting the opener vs. the A's. That just goes to show you the state of Texas' pitching.

I know he never got to the major league level with Oakland, but is Jason Hart still playing baseball? Remember all the hype?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:49 pm:

Jason Hart as far as I know is still in The Texas system. I may be wrong as I've not checked in ages. Yeah he had a ton of hype going for him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 11:14 pm:

Someday I hope we get a REAL first baseman. Hart was the next Giambi, Pena was the next Giambi, now we have 3 semi-first basemen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavvy03 on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 02:09 am:

I would LOVE to have a real 1b again. We were pretty spoiled at that spot with Big Mac and Giambi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 08:43 am:

hart's not listed as having an ab's for texas this spring -though our old boy Laird is having a decent spring and considered one of Texas' best prospects.

May, it's funny to think Angel Berroa turned out really good. Olivo (catcher with White Sox) will have a breakout year this year I think - a Catcher who runs well -wow.

We have some decent guys from our farm out in the majors.

I think Pena will have a better year this year with some better hitters surrounding him in the lineup - he just needs to cut down on his k's, my lord!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 09:24 am:

Anyone know where ay of these 70's-80's players are??

Billy North

Dwayne Murphy

Joe Rudi

Sal Bando

Campy Campinaris

Dick Green

Tony Armas

Mike Heath

Mike NOrris

Love to hear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bangthedrum on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:39 am:

Bad news about Hart. He has a brain tumor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1764019

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 01:07 am:

Jsutin Miller, traded to the Jays a few seasons ago and once considered one of our top pitching prospects, has been told by ML that he has to cover up his arms while he pitches, since they are covered with tattoos and opposing hitters may find it distractive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 05:18 am:

apparently like, 85% (or some other rediculous high number) of his body is covered in tattoos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 07:47 am:

Here is the Justin Miller article, complete with pic:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article
&cid=1080083708089&call_pageid=969907739730&
col=970081600908

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:24 pm:

Just wait till he's in his 70's and wonders what the hell he was thinking back in the day...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:40 pm:

all that ink all faded and stretched out and images only half showing due to wrinkles.

He will look like a lizard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 01:33 pm:

Anyone catch Billy Koch on the Dan Patrick show?
He says he paid Miller $1500 on a dare to have
"I love Billy Koch" on his ass..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:27 pm:

Dwayne Murphy-Was a coach with the Diamondbacks, i think he got a ring back in 2001. Left that job and is coaching high school football, I think in San Ramon.

Joe Rudi

Sal Bando

Campy Campinaris

Dick Green

Tony Armas

Mike Heath

Mike NOrris - The Sunday Chronicle had a lengthy story about him, front page of the sports section that day. I don't know the exact date, but it was a Sunday, January-February. Anyways suffered some type of illness was operated on, walks with a cane now. Is married with an elementary aged daughter.

Rob Picciolo - Coaching with the Padres now.
Jaime Quirk coaching in Colorado
Harold Baines White Sox coach
Dave Collins 1B coach with Colorado

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 05:31 pm:

Rocket, did Miller take Koch up on his offer???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 09:07 am:

thanks for the info RAIDERjohn.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 09:22 am:

EY,
Yes he did, after getting the okay from his wife.
Koch, also had to ask his wife about having
Miller do the deed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:21 am:

Joe Rudi: After his playing days, Rudi coached briefly with the A's, but has generally kept a low baseball profile while living in the Northwest. Rudi recently sold his working ranch to former Oakland player and teammate Carney Lansford. Rudi and his wife, Sharon, now live in Baker, Oregon, on a fulltime basis and work as real estate agents. "Gentleman Joe" also does some coaching at the amateur level.

Sal Bando: Bando served as the Brewers' general manager until he was fired in 1999. He is now out of organized baseball, but remains active in business, serving on the boards of two companies in Milwaukee. Bando splits his time between Wisconsin and Scottsdale, Arizona.

Campy Campinaris: Campaneris now lives in Scottsdale, Arizona and often participates in Old-Timers' games around the country. Campaneris also conducts baseball camps and is an active participant in the Major League Baseball Players Alumni Association, often playing in charity golf tournaments.

Dick Green: In his post-playing days, Green operated a moving company in Rapid City, South Dakota, which he eventually sold to his partner. Green is now retired, but continues to live in Rapid City.

For more on the 72 A's, see this website : http://baseballguru.com/markusen/oak4.html

:O )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 02:15 pm:

Wow!

Just heard that MIKE OQUIST is in uniform for the A's today, in the game vs. SF. He is on-loan from the minor league complex, due to the split-squad. There's a blast from the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 02:49 pm:

jerry,

in what capacity is oquist helping the A's? as a coach, or a player?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 02:54 pm:

They said that he is "in uniform, and could see some action in today's game", leading me to believe that the answer to your question would be "player". I thought that I had read previously that he was going to be a pitching coach in the lower minor leagues for this season, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 03:16 pm:

They just said on the radio he was signed to a minor league, AA contract.... believe it! Oakie is back in the A's organization!!!!

Could he be our secret weapon of the future????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 04:31 pm:

Mike is only 36. He dropped of my radar in 1999. Where has he been since?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 05:09 pm:

the broadcast today said oquist was looking to get into coaching...still doesn't answer the question of why he was on the roster as a player, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 09:29 pm:

Mike Oquist -- holy Toledo!

Maybe he never officially retired, so he could still suit up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 03:38 pm:

"Justin Miller, traded to the Jays a few seasons ago and once considered one of our top pitching prospects, has been told by ML that he has to cover up his arms while he pitches, since they are covered with tattoos and opposing hitters may find it distractive."

Toronto Blue Jays
Outrighted RHP Justin Miller to Triple-A Syracuse.

Does he need to cover up his tats in the minors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By warnerkallus on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 03:46 pm:

is distractive anything like distracting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 03:53 pm:

distracted Justin's ass back into AAA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bangthedrum on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 06:28 am:

Royals released RHP Erik Hiljus.

"Hiljus, sent down earlier this month, wasn't going to be a part of the Triple-A Omaha rotation, so the Royals let him go."

from rotoworld.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakman on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:41 am:

Oquist pitched for the Somerset Patriots of the Independent league last season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:13 am:

Hiljus was great at 5-0 for us in 2001. All he had to do was not screw up at the start of 2002 as the number 5 starter, and he Omar Oliveras-ed it up. whatever happened to good old red-in-the-face omar anyway? I think his best game for us was against the Mariners in 2000, I think they put Jose Ortiz at second for that game, and he shut them down...prompting pay-rod to say "I never want to see the oakland athletics again"

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.