Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Selig will grace us with his presence this season!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Selig will grace us with his presence this season!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 02:14 pm:

I read in the Chron that Selig will visit the Coliseum early this season, for the first time in the Schott era.

The FIRST time? Geez, how long has that been - 9 years? What a joke. I think one of the Commissioners primary public relations duties should be to visit each team at least once a year at a minimum and even appear on that teams radio pre-game broadcast before a game.

Maybe your team needs to have owners who are sycophants and give him standing ovations when he walks into a room:

"When walking into a room of Giants' owners who expect the commish to uphold their territorial rights, Selig reportedly received a standing ovation."

Here is the entire stadium excerpt:

Ballpark talk: Commissioner Bud Selig spoke with A's owner Steve Schott, asking him to stop publicly criticizing the Giants' ownership over the territorial-rights issue in the South Bay.

Though he agrees with Schott's points that the A's need a new ballpark, Selig doesn't want owners bashing other owners. Schott agreed, he said, "for now."

Last weekend, Selig made the same request to the Giants' Peter Magowan. When walking into a room of Giants' owners who expect the commish to uphold their territorial rights, Selig reportedly received a standing ovation.

Selig is to visit the Coliseum early in the season, for the first time in the Schott era.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/03/20/SPGIJ5O7OP1.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 04:59 pm:

He should stay away, as far as I'm concerned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:22 pm:

Sniper opportunity!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:47 pm:

He will never feel the fresh air. He will be in Schotts Box...#24

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 06:55 pm:

This reminds me about the jokes about poisoning Schott. And we bash Red Sox fans for being low class.

Would you want somebody to joke about snipeshooting you?

If you still think that it's funny to joke about snipeshooting you, how about joking about snipeshooting your son or daughter? Would that be funny?

Aren't you the moderator of this board?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:29 pm:

I'd like to ban "holier than thou" posts ... jk ...

Talking about Gay Marriage etc. Bill Maher said "the only thing an American Male is allowed to put into another male is a bullet"

Lighten up !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:02 pm:

Twenty bucks says Selig picks a Monday night game against someone like the Devil Rays or Tigers when there are less than 15,000 in attendance. Two reasons being 1) Less people to heckle him, hell if they announce the date in advance I might go to the game just for that, and 2) Give him the opportunity to say the A's can't draw without a new ballpark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 11:55 pm:

I suppose, ronc, that if somebody joked about shooting your kids, that would just be ducky with you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:07 am:

5x,
For your education:

joke
Pronunciation: 'jOk
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin jocus; perhaps akin to Old High German gehan to say, Sanskrit yAcati he asks
1 a : something said or done to provoke laughter; especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1) : the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2) : an instance of jesting : KIDDING <can't take a joke> c : PRACTICAL JOKE d : LAUGHINGSTOCK
2 : something not to be taken seriously : a trifling matter

Give it a rest, dude!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:23 am:

Must buy the dictionary that Jerry uses.

I think I will go to church the day Mr. Selig visits!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:36 am:

I only laugh at jokes that are funny.

Funny how that works.

I've asked a question and I still wait for a response.

Would you want somebody to joke about snipeshooting you?

If you still think that it's funny to joke about snipeshooting you, how about joking about snipeshooting your son or daughter? Would that be funny?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:06 am:

Jer, why don't you just take 'the 5th' on this one and maybe we can move on...or maybe there's another board with some drive-by posters for '5thtimethecharm' to moralize for a change of mood here.

Which brings me to my question...the moniker '5thtimethecharm stands for what team? the A's or the Giants?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:09 am:

YC, I agree Selig will probably be at a Monday/Tuesday night game against Tampa. He'll probably spend the weekend in the West Bay hoping for a Balco Splash and then head over to the O.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:20 am:

I'm changing my name to "SanctimoniousScold."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:01 pm:

Actually I think 5th had a point. I have a dark sense of humor and I knew Jerry was making a joke yet I've become more unconfortable with sniper or death threat references (in jest) on internet postings since you never know what the real intent of the poster is.

I have found out the hard way that sarcasm or glib remarks in internet postings or email can easily be misinterpeted since they rely heavily on tone of voice and/or facial expressions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:56 pm:

Re: Selig visiting Oakland. I believe most of the stories said "very soon'. The Trib article said later this month.

"Commissioner Bud Selig, who will visit Network Associates Coliseum later this month, "
"http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82~10835~2002294,00.html"

Seems unlikely unless the A's have a pre-season home game this month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 03:33 pm:

Actually, the A's/Giants play a pre-season game at the Coliseum on April 3rd. I guess the Trib article refers to this game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 06:30 pm:

This is truly a momentous occasion. We need to role out the red carpet for the old cadaver. Here are a few ideas

Forget Schott's box. Let's put him in the bleachers surrounded by drummers and cell phone throwers.

Secondly, somebody check into the copyright on that interview with him saying the A's moving to Oakland was a big mistake. We've got to get that on Jumbotron.

Finally, I'd love to figure some way to get a pie in his face. Is anyone with me?

Come on people, we can do this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 07:14 pm:

"Finally, I'd love to figure some way to get a pie in his face. Is anyone with me?"

Hey! How would you feel if someone threatened to put a pie in your face? How about if they threatened to put a pie in the face of your son or daughter?

Not so funny, is it? Oh yeah, it IS still funny!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 07:38 pm:

LOL... What kind of pie ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:56 pm:

Let it rest, dude, no? Hopefully you don't think racist jokes are "all in good fun."

Must ... get ... thread ... of .... conversation ... back ... to ... Jumbotrons ... and ... cream pies ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:50 pm:

There is zero tolerance for ... sexist, racist, anti-religious and homophobic language

"http://www.oaklandfans.com/bbs/guidelines.html"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:16 am:

"There is zero tolerance for ... sexist, racist, anti-religious and homophobic language"

What a relief! Veiled violent threats are tolerated! I'm so happy I could shoot someone. [insert sarcastic smirk here]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 08:58 am:

wow...

Missed some fun stuff..

Comedy is a bitch, you are sure to offend SOMEONE and really don't know what peoples causes are or what exposure they may have (family members etc..) to sensitive issues..

Although I see the point of those who may think the statement was insensitive, it is also OBVIOUS that the man was joking (perhaps in poor taste..which I also am guilty of) and if you have posted on this site for more than two weeks, you pick up on personalities, this is Jerrys sarcastic humor.

I too have slapped up the indignant, self righteous, politically correct rant in the past so I have little room to talk but.. we can't take posts too seriously, it drifts us off of sports and fun and moves us into politics, philosophy and ethics...which is better served for another board.

Can't we all just get along?

Blueberry pie would be nice, it would stain him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 09:00 am:

and we should try not to piss each other off on purpose, we do it often enough on accident.

AND NOW BACK TO SPORTS??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:06 am:

"AND NOW BACK TO SPORTS??"

UPDATE:
5thtimethecharm and I have "buried the hatch.."--(wait that might offend an ethnic group), OK, we have "smoked the peace pi.."--(no that might offend them too). How about "we have kissed and made up"--(is that homophobic?)?

Anyway, we have resolved our differences outside of a public forum. You won't hear anything more on the subject from me (until the next opportunity arises).:)

...NOW BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:29 am:

:o )

Feels good to see the board again (been a few days).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:06 am:

Okay, kids. It's not too late to turn this forum around!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:05 pm:

Jerry,

(Without irony): Hilarious!

Like I said offline, I hope that I will always be your favorite sanctimonious, hissy-fit, moralistic, self-righteous crank. And cuddly, too.

BTW, when people bury the hatchet, what do you do when you need to chop wood or something? Isn't it kind of a pain to go digging the hatchet up all the time? I'm going to lose sleep trying to figure this one out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:07 pm:

Thanks for the perspective, gt.

If I can provide some context (briefly! briefly!), I would point out that I've been affected by all the bad stuff going on in the world right now. And I got a big scare when my 3-year-old son almost got hit by a car in a parking lot. Then I read Jerry's joke about killing people and it lit me up like a Eucalyptus tree on a Montclair hillside in late September. Can you relate to that? (I donít mean identifying with a tree.)

I should have opted for a small scotch broom bush. Or maybe an azalea.

Back to sports. Here's a lame joke:

Q: Do you think Bud Selig will get tough-ass on the players' union?
A: Are you kidding me? He wouldn't even go to the bathroom without Gene Orza's permission!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:42 pm:

Jerry,

... and I laughed without having to check the dictionary to see if I could!

(Wink)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 02:02 pm:

What gets me about the whole thing is that I cannot ever take back what I say...I can say I take it back but it stays on the board. Jerry can pop a statement off the board if he wants or even CHANGE it to remove offensive material.

He could have changed it to "Pie in the face opportunity!"

Then asked what the hub-bub was about..

All that power and he never used it...

Jerry, you either ARE a character or you have character..dunno which.

:O )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 04:30 pm:

Both. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 06:21 pm:

Hey Jerry, since you can alter the past, what do you say you change that last pitch to Ramirez into a slider in the dirt. Then, about that late throw from Ramon on that rundown on Varitek ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 07:48 am:

Perhaps he can help me with a slider thrown in 1988 or perhaps Billy Hatcher is never born....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:26 pm:

or Roberto Alomar....

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.