Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Baseball Primer - A's Season Preview

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Baseball Primer - A's Season Preview
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By whoknows77 on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 01:04 pm:

Always great insight from the Primates:
http://www.baseballprimer.com/articles/wdavis_2004-04-01_0.shtml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By orangeman on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 01:55 pm:

That's so weird, I just went on their website this morning and couldn't find an A's preview. It must have just been put on there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By whoknows77 on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 02:07 pm:

it was just added shortly before I posted it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 03:24 pm:

Tim Hidson, Mike Mulder?

Is Selig writing this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 09:21 pm:

At least he didn't call him "Fox."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 03:02 pm:

The most interesting observations:

"Letís dispense with the silly stat you keep hearing about Rhodes Ė that heís only 17 for 44 in save chances. Thatís a dumb way to look at setup men. If he comes on in the 8th with a one-run lead and gives up a run, he gets charged with a blown save. If he holds the lead, he gets taken out and the closer gets the save while he gets a hold. If you want to look at anything, look at his number of holds plus saves versus his number of blown saves (blown holds usually/always mean a blown save). Heís got 127 career holds to go with his 17 saves and just 27 blown saves, so heís held the lead 84% of the time that heís been asked to. For comparison, Mariano Rivera has done it 88% of the time. Rhodes will be fine as the closer."

144-for-171 sounds a heck of a lot better than 17-for-44.

"According to the last reports I saw, Harville had the inside track on the 11th pitcher slot after a great spring (13 IP and 1.38 ERA) and good AAA season (57 IP, 2.05 ERA, 57 K, 21 BB)."

Harville's a keeper.

"I wouldnít be surprised if neither of these guys [Mulder & Zito] had a particularly good long-range projection, so maybe they should trade them both!"

Dissing Mulder and Zito! That don't sound right.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.