Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Schott rips the park again

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Schott rips the park again
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 09:35 am:

"When you see a decent crowd and long lines for concessions and traffic backed up, it's an issue, especially with all the new parks opening up," Schott said amid the gridlock, an hour before the game. "We can't remain competitive in terms of being able to sign players. I said it before. I'll say it now. We need a new park."

This doesn't make sense. If there was a "decent crowd, long lines for concessions and traffic backed up," doesn't that mean the business is successful? Would there be less gridlock at a new park, or shorter concession lines?

What the hell is he talking about?

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/04/06/SPGT6614SK1.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 09:54 am:

Schott was hitting the Schnapps!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 09:55 am:

well he wants a new park so bad he put all that effort into the city council meeting a few yrs back to get a new par , how many times did he show up?

This guy is a piece of work!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:42 am:

SACTO!!! ARe you going to the river cats game 07/03?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nickb on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:14 am:

He's positioning folks. He wants to firmly establish that the park sucks. Fans don't want to come to a park that is old and broken down and that is a pain in the neck to get to (traffic on 880/bay bridge, etc) and once you're there is a pain in the neck to get to the concessions, rest rooms, etc. Once the fact that the ballpark is a piece of crap in the eyes of the commish, he'll have no problem convincing the owners to allow him to relocate assuming no city in the area forks over enough of a subsidy to make his new ballpark dream/scam come to fruition. It's a scam folks, and it's leading to no good. That's why I have a hard time paying any more of my hard earned dollars to this snake in the grass owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:22 am:

I heard that at least part of the traffic backup last night was attributable to the fact that the auxiliary lots were not open and people were having a hell of a time finding a place to park. How can the A's explain that??? They have such great logistical planners in the front office...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 02:25 pm:

I can attest to one fan's concerns last night...

A friend that sits in our section came into the game around 7 ish with out her husband. I asked her where he was and she told me he was out circling the dam stadium for a parking spot.

He got into the ball park @ 8:10!!!

Needless to say he almost got a ticket for a U-Turn and lots of grief from people all trying to do the same thing... FIND A PLACE TO PARK!!!

Hm.. poor planning makes people pissed?

I would think on the biggest night of the season.. well second next to the WS, that the A's would have it together on that aspect.

I saw Schott down on the field flappin his jaws.. I don't what to believe at this point, but I can say I am sick of hearing from friends in other parts of the US tell me how cool their NEW stadium is or how excited they are cause their team gets a new stadium! UG UG UG

How can 45,000+ fans say they did not have fun last night in Oakland watching our boys kick butt?

Ok.. enough out of me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:03 pm:

bubba I don't know I might be out of town ???? why??? you going?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:16 pm:

They closed the main lots to all except MVP and Luxury Suite parking pass holders. They did this quite early. I sat in traffic between parking lots for an hour and was allowed to park in the main lot only because my wife explained to an event staff parking attendent our multi hour plight. He finally broke down and accepted are measley regular season ticket holder parking pass. I watched as other ticket holders manuvered back on to the freeway without another option since overfill lots were full as well. I dont understand why this happened. The crowd was decent, but it wasnt of epic proportions like a Yankee or Sux playoff game. The lines to actually walk into the stadium were also hideous as were those of the concession stands . I think Schott is using old Finley tactics (Under staffing, etc) in an attempt to make the park look worse than it is. Add to this mix Caltrans decision to fix potholes on the Nimitz on opening night and what you have is a nightmare. The good news, I made first pitch by a nosehair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nickb on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:08 am:

Well no need to worry ... only 13K bothered to show up for the second game ... pathetic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 09:01 am:

The A's are not the only team looking for a new stadium. From today's NY Times:

55,315 See Marlins Win as Issues Over New Stadium Linger
By CHARLIE NOBLES

MIAMI, April 6 It should have been a wonderful day. The Florida Marlins had a franchise-record opening day crowd Tuesday, received a strong performance from their World Series most valuable player and a towering two-run home run from their new first baseman, then rallied to victory.

Yet a cloud hung over the Marlins as they began defense of their World Series championship with a 4-3 victory over the Montreal Expos before 55,315 at Pro Player Stadium.

They are still a team looking for a new ballpark. Pro Player Stadium has long has been considered a liability, primarily because its owner, the former Marlins owner H. Wayne Huizenga, receives all revenue from parking, suites and concessions.

Despite a concerted effort since winning the World Series, the Marlins still do not have $115 million of the $325 million they deem necessary to built a retractable-roof stadium. And they may be facing a dead end this year in receiving money they had counted on $60 million in tax rebates from the state over 30 years. Jim King, the Florida Senate president, has said it will not happen this year. The Marlins' owner, Jeffrey Loria, who has never even hinted that he will move the club if financing cannot be found, remains optimistic that enough money will be in place by May 1, the Marlins' deadline to begin a project to build a stadium for the 2007 season. "I think it's going to get done," Loria said after watching the former Mets closer Armando Benitez seal the victory. "I think people of good intentions will bring it together."

Loria, a New York art dealer who previously owned the Montreal Expos, has lived up to his off-season promise to keep the team reasonably intact. Three cogs of the club catcher Ivan Rodriguez, closer Ugueth Urbina and first baseman Derrek Lee are gone, but their replacements had a hand in Tuesday's victory.

The new first baseman, Hee Seop Choi, drove in three runs in his debut, two on a 419-foot home run. One of the catchers, Mike Redmond, drove in the winning run. And Benitez earned the save, although he gave up a home run and a double in the ninth.

Until late last season, fans had been slow to return to the ballpark, recalling how Huizenga stripped the club of talent after the Marlins won the 1997 World Series.

But Loria invested $52.77 million in this season's payroll, with the possibility of adding to it for a playoff drive a far cry from the Yankees' more than $180 million payroll, but comparable to last season's tab at this juncture.

Loria said that if cities like Seattle, San Diego, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh supported the construction of new stadiums in recent years, why not South Florida?

"This is a major city," Loria said of Miami. "And it should be a major league city for years to come."

Loria has one influential backer in Alex Penelas, the mayor of Miami-Dade County. The county has offered $73 million toward a stadium, in large part through Penelas's persistent support.

"We're optimistic about keeping the Marlins here," Penelas said, before Josh Beckett, the World Series most valuable player against the Yankees, helped the Marlins to a 2-1 lead after seven innings. "It'd be a sad day if the Marlins leave South Florida."

The Marlins seem to be winning back their fans. Sean Flynn, the club's vice president for marketing, said at least 16,000 were expected at each of the next two games. He said the estimates jumped to 25,000, 40,000 and 22,000 for three weekend games.

"You look at the support we got all winter long rallies, different events," Manager Jack McKeon said. "You can say what you want, but I think the guys on this team have re-energized the fans of South Florida. Boy, I see it everywhere I go."

Most of the Marlins players are not concerned about the stadium, the veteran Jeff Conine said, but third baseman Mike Lowell, who attended high school and college here, has a different view. He has an opt-out clause in his four-year contract after this season if the Marlins do not secure plans for a stadium this year.

"I'm curious, because then I know there's a possibility I'll stay here for four years," Lowell said. "But it doesn't mean my baseball career's over if there's no stadium. I love living and playing in South Florida, but my love for Miami doesn't supersede my competitiveness. I have options, whatever happens."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 01:04 pm:

yea...Thought we could meet up for a beverage!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 09:11 am:

/i{"decent crowd, long lines for concessions and traffic backed up,"

Schott complaining as usual...

the traffic back up was caused by closing down the overflow parking lots when they knew in advance they would have more than 40K...people were circling around with no direction or help from the lack of parking attendants.

and for an owner who has the reputation of being a shrewd business person...why is the advance ticket office closing down by middle of the 7th inning? Is that because he wants to sell as many tickets as possible?

Schott and Selig (coming to visit next weekend) are doing a posturing dance preparing and getting ready for the fatal blow... we're just watching it happen because there's no whistle blower in the media...the mediots are too busy watching the Balco splashing across the Bay and frankly my dear, they don't give a damn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:17 am:

does anyone know the date of Selig's visit???

you know these bastards are going to pretend that Oakland didn't try to serve them up a stadium on a platter, and they couldn't even bother to go to a meeting about it!

uh, this hasn't-been-an-activist-for-a-long-time sez we should have an informational picket line outside of Selig's press conference with a leaflet that explains how they ignored Oakland's proposals for a new stadium!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:35 am:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2004/04/06/SPGLS616TD1.DTL

From the linked article, Selig should be in Oakland during the Angel's series:

"When you see a decent crowd and long lines for concessions and traffic backed up, it's an issue, especially with all the new parks opening up," Schott said amid the gridlock, an hour before the game. "We can't remain competitive in terms of being able to sign players. I said it before. I'll say it now. We need a new park."

Schott is taking his case to a higher authority, if indeed the commissioner fits that bill. Schott is expecting Bud Selig to tour the Coliseum as early as the April 23-25 series against the Angels. In fact, Selig is sending one of his right-hand men, Bob DuPuy, Major League Baseball's chief operating officer, to survey the grounds next week.

Selig hasn't been to the Coliseum since Schott bought the A's in 1995, and Schott wants to personally show the commish every antiquated nook and archaic cranny, if only to have Selig speak on authority next time he campaigns for a new ballpark on behalf of the A's.

"He hasn't been here in a long time, and he needs to see the state of the facility," said Schott, who gazed at the top of Mt. Davis in center field and added, "I'm not going to take him up there. I'm afraid of heights."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 11:43 am:

jeff, you said it on another thread re the attendance...OLD subject and OLDER and OLDER friend...
my wood splitting days and street activism days are behind me :) and unfortunately I don't believe A's fans have enough unity to fight Selig right now...
the Bay Area is totally schizo and you find many A's fans buying into and believing the Magowan/Selig driven media controlled propaganda.

But I'll be ready for a class action suit when the time comes.. that you can bet I'll be ready and able for...this is why I continue to be a season ticket holder even though I don't even feel like going to the yard anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zito75 on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 02:28 pm:

I haven't been to the Coliseum this year but last year the main box office at Gate D next to the Souvenir Store was always open until 30-60 minutes after the game, they never closed in the 7th inning. Hope that hasn't changed.

Concession lines have always been bad at the Coliseum, I think it has more to do with the people manning the stands than the facility itself. You learn to eat/drink before you get there or just bring in what you can. Always enjoyed the Coliseum just fine, wish all the "new stadium" chatter would go away and people could just enjoy another winning campaign.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 02:31 pm:

Concession lines are a problem in just about every stadium.
Zito75 is right. Prepare ahead of time. Why eat bad food and pay too much for it?
Anyway, there is your money that lines Schott's pockets. Best thing to screw Schott over would be to go to the games, but not spend a dime on concessions!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeoldak on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:39 am:

I have been an A's fan since '74 and I hope and pray that the A's are able to stay in Oakland.What are the chances of a new stadium being built in Oakland?This team and it's players have been so exciting for me over the years that I hope a new stadium can be built for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:45 pm:

If Schott wants a new yard he should get off his ass and build it. Not 1 red cent of tax payer money should be used! We keep getting told that baseball is a business. Then why as tax payer is my job to build that business a new place to do their business? I do not mind land and improvements...But not cash!
We as Alameda county tax payers are getting screwed by the Raider deal. Why should we bet it again for Steve Schott?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.