Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Intresting Facts about stadiums

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Intresting Facts about stadiums
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By linusalf on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 09:59 pm:

As many of you may or may not know i work for top dog and the other day an architect came in and we got to the subject of stadiums. The guy worked for HNTB for a number of years and was part of the design team for the renovations to the Colseium and arena. He was saying that from a comfort and sightlines perspective the Coloseium (minus MT.Davis) is a far superior ballpark than Pac Bell. Except for the Mt. Davis seats he says there is only a small percetage of seats that you cant see the whole field. Over 98% of the orignal coloseim can see 100% of the field. The problem seats in Oakland are 313-320 in the first 3 rows where you cannot see balls hit behind the backstop. However at Pac Bell there are sevral sections of seats where large portions of the field is unavailable. Most of the seats in the upper deck beyond 3rd base you cannot see left field. Also in the right field "Arcade" section above the bricks you cannot see major parts of right field and center field. Another thing he mentioned is the fact that in oakland all of the seats are pointed toward the center of the stadium approx 2nd base. Theroeticlly a fan would only have to turn at max 15% to view the infield. While at pac bell, along the 3rd base line you have to as much as 85% in some areas to see the infield. Now HOK wanted to fix this. They wanted home plate to be moved up king street. HOK's modifed desgin kept many of the charm of pacbell such as the views of oakland and the "splash hits" and was wider and more accessible. However the giants wanted an "intamate" setting of a ballpark and wanted to keep the 307 RF line (HOK's Modifed design had RF line at 325).

Now back to focus more on oakland. Like i said before he worked for HNTB which designe MT. Davis. However what we see now is completly diffrent from what HNTB planned. When the City Council and board of supervisors came to HNTB to design renovations for football HNTB said that that would not work because people wanted baseball only stadiums and that a renovated coloseim would only benift football. What they proposed was that they build a baseball only stadium in the parking lot and renovate the coloseim for football. It was good and it would be under budget. However the board of supes wanted to have the single stadium and for they thought it would be more profitable beacuse the City and COunty would be in control of the stadium under the new JPA. So HNTB designed the first draft of the renovations, which were relesed to the public on a limited basis. The first draft (which, according to lil, was in a media guide relesed to season ticket holders around 1995/1996) was far more baseball friendly and would have kept the configuration of the orignal bleachers. However Al Davis wanted more luxury boxes and a larger East Side CLub than was orignally designed. So the 2nd version of MT davis was designed, which had a larger east side club, 2 rows of plaza boxes instead of one and a higher 3rd deck. also the bleachers would be smaller and slighly higher. Now to accomidate the A's the incoming ownership(which was going to take over the team following the 1995 season) Steve Schott and Ken Hoffman were given the option of plan 1 or plan 2. If they chose plan one they would have recived a nicer baseball stadium, while if they chose plan 2 they got a worse stadium but would recive a 1)Cash settlement 2)Control over many revenues from baseball such as concessions and parking. Schott chose plan 2, which is the current MT. Davis that stands today. Why did he choose this? Well 2 reasons. 1)Easy Money and 2) He didnt figure to be in the Coloseium for very long for as soon as he bought the team he had an exectuvie (help me out lil and chris for the name) begin lookinng towards the south bay for a new stadium there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 08:00 am:

Ed Alvarez was the man, who later sued Schott and settled out of court last year. The suit was over broken promises linked to the team relocation to the South Bay.

Schott and Hofmann indeed were offered the money from the city to bring down the bleachers to field level by moving the field forward and extending the outfield seats to meet up with the bleacher seats. That plan was shown to all the s.t. holders at the owners presentation back in 1995. The A's magazine had a picture of that plan with lots of promises of how they were committed to staying in Oakland, continuing the Haases legendary ownership.

However, they opted to making room at the opposite end, behind home plate instead, which gave them the much more profitable "Diamond Level" area. But as usual, they refused to spend enough of their own money to install an elevator which could bring people to the Diamond Level seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 10:05 pm:

So, it was their own frickin' greed that created the "crappy" stadium that Schott constantly complains about. Hah.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:09 pm:

Thanks linusalf for posting that. Schott got exactly what he wanted. It's Major League in real life. What else can he do to keep fans away besides trade away everybody had field a AAA team?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 01:46 pm:

Speaking of Schott and the current state of the Coliseum, here's what Monte Poole wrote in his April 12 three-dot column:

"Can anybody -- anybody! -- tell me what A's owner Steve Schott, a home builder, can gain by constantly criticizing a building he needs?"

Behind closed doors, Schott would probably say, "I'm trying to gain a new ballpark that will jack up the price of the A's so I can immediately sell the team at an artificially high price."

But in reality, his whining is likely hurting his chances to do just that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 01:55 pm:

Not too bright for a successful businessman, is he?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 02:34 pm:

Lil, I think it was associated him with Al Davis.

I like Al better.

That being said, I sometimes get the feeling that he is doing exactly what it takes to show that MLB did't assist him in a stadium and that the Bay Area did not support him and therefore is justified in selling the team to a market outside of the Bay Area.

Like this is all an ugly set up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:15 pm:

GT, I think you're absolutely right. And I'm sure Selig is behind all the Schott's posturing and set-up job they are preparing.

Sounds very paranoic doesn't it? Well, I hope I'm dead wrong on this and I'll would gadly eat crow...but Selig never wanted the A's in Oakland and to this date considers it a "horrible mistake".

personally I think his mother made the horrible mistake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:58 am:

Agree on his mother.

I may also come off paranoid, which was proven years ago by my being an X-Files fan.

Truthfully, I have seen enough shifty business bullshit to recognize a bait & switch.

The whole Santa Clara thing is like a magician showing you the colorful scarf in his left hand while his right hand is picking your pocket.

There is certainly something up his sleeve.

That being said, if a new ballpark is built in Oakland with ANY of snotts money, I will personally come out to the new park and hang a Snott fanclub banner!!!

But it will never come to that.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.