Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Move to the South Bay

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Move to the South Bay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sjathletics on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 09:53 am:

So why are so many people here opposed to the A's moving a little south? There would be a new, baseball only stadium, stronger game attendance, and lower risk of retraction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:13 am:

retraction
SYLLABICATION: re·trac·tion
PRONUNCIATION: r-trkshn
NOUN: 1. The act of retracting or the state of being retracted.
2a. The act of recanting or disavowing a previously held statement or belief. b. A formal statement of disavowal. c. Something recanted or disavowed.
3. The power of drawing back or of being drawn back.

Care to retract your statement?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sjathletics on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 11:06 am:

contraction, my bad. it isn't my fault that the east bay can't put enough asses in the seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 11:40 am:

SJA-
I don't see SJ ponying up for a stadium. They voted the Giants down 3 times!
Why do you think the East Bay "can't put enough asses in the seats"? Is this what Gary Radnich said?
They're drawing 2+ million a year. SORRY that's not enough for you!
And to answer your question, it's because they are the OAKLAND A's to us, not the San Jose A's, the Silicon Valley A's, the Santa Clara A's, or the San Jose's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 12:38 pm:

Who is going to pay for a new stadium in the South Bay? Other than mere speculation, there is no evidence that the A's would draw better there anyway. Perhaps you can provide us with some?

Also, anyone who says 2.2mil+ is "not enough asses in the seats" has definately not been following baseball very long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sjathletics on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 01:37 pm:

While there aren't enough figures out there that support my claim, I would love to see what percentage of fans at the Net during a given weekend game are from the south bay (weekdays don't count because it is a bear for us to get up there).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rockridgea on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 04:24 pm:

It appears that SJathletics has been reading the Mercury News too much. One should check your figures before spouting off in here. In terms of putting asses in seats. Let me tell you about the state of San Jose asses. How do the Earthquakes fair in attendance? Last in the league,after being MLS Cup Champions. What about San Jose State? They may lose their 1A status for football. Due to their lake of support. What about the Sharks. 18th. in the league in attendance, with avg. of 15,835 per game. Don't make me pull out the stats plethora of miscellanous sports down in "Silicon Valley". What makes you think that SJ can fill a basball stadium better than Oakland can, when they can't even fill a 20,000 seat arena? I San Jose needs to concern themselves with trying to fill Spartan Stadium instead of trying to lure a successful, established franchise!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 08:25 am:

This is the OAKLAND A'S!!!
And this is a forum to keep our team here, in Oakland. So San Jose boy, don't try to highjack this forum for your purpose. It's not going to happen. Just like Schott and the south bay aren't going to highjack the A's from Oakland.

As someone stated earlier, the city of San Jose turned down the giants twice and Santa Clara once. So, what makes you think that both cities are willing to put millions of dollars into the pockets of two of the greediest sons of b...chs in baseball? Screw San Jose!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sjathletics on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 09:12 am:

No hijacking intended. I was just trying to get a feel for why people are so opposed to them moving a little south. I think it would only benefit the team.

Rockridgea, it is hard to compare second tier sports attendance to baseball, and yes, hockey has become a second tier sport. BTW, I'm going to the Quakes game on Saturday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownmojo on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:39 am:

Rockridge

You forgot to mention the newest sports franchise sensation in San Jose- Lacrosse.

What the hell is Lacrosse and how is attendance going for the Stealth?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:23 pm:

And dont forget about those SaberCats, our only Bay Area football champion, how's their attendance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sjathletics on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:40 pm:

Sabercats were the third highest in AFL attendance behind Dallas and Arizona last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By hubbard88 on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 12:31 pm:

The Dot-com era is over and so is SJ, stop acting like a major league city. The A's would do better in Sac then they would down in SJ. The fan base would be the same kind of yuppies that go to SBC only the stadium would be in bumping downtown SJ! Gimmie a break, when you fill the "Tank" let me know. The ballpark boom is ending and there aren't many markets in country who can support a team so I think the A's are here to stay at the NET! LETS GO OAKLAND A'S!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rono on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 09:39 am:

BIG QUESTION??????????????

This forum has discussed a potential move of the franchise to a new stadium ad nauseum.

It is clear that Schott does not want to be in Oakland but prefers Santa Clara County.

Magowan says his territorial rights are guaranteed in writing and are not for sale.

Bud Selig says territorial rights will be protected.

Given this scenario exactly why is Schott pursuing Santa Clara???????????

It is hard to believe that Wolff and his predecessor Alverez work for nothing and even harder to believe that Schott would spend time and money on something with no chace of return.
So why bother????????????

My theory is that Selig has given him the go ahead to pursue sites in the South Bay. They will talk and settle territories when he has a suitable deal together.

The Expos fiasco has shown baseball that it is not easy to move a franchise to a new market with a new stadium with a new owner even though there are supposedly billionaires lined up to buy teams. The Expos may end up in DC/Virginia which could not support two previous franchises even when DC was in better shape than today. Beyond that where could they locate a team? No body solid has stepped up.The rest of the markets are marginal at best.

The Blue Ribbon and other studies conducted by MLB have probably told them that the Bay Area is a better market for MLB with two teams than moving one franchise somewhere else , despite what Selig may say.

Those of us who do market research for a living could have told them that a long time ago.

I would appreciate anyone' insights.

In the mean time I think we have many more years to enjoy A's baseball at the Coliseum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 10:10 am:

I fear a conspiracy among Butthead, Schitt and Magowan (A's can't "survive" in Oakland and can't move to the South Bay), the result of which would be moving the A's somewhere else altogether (e.g., Portland or Vegas), or even contraction once the current CBA expires.

Call me paranoid, but that doesn't mean someone isn't out to get the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By linusalf on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 10:13 am:

Since¦it¦would¦REQUIRE¦a¦new¦stadium¦in¦SJ¦for¦the¦a's¦to¦come¦there¦what¦evidence¦do¦you¦have¦that¦a¦new¦stadium¦would¦draw¦better¦in¦San¦Jose¦than¦Oakland?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 12:18 pm:

sj,

You said While there aren't enough figures out there that support my claim

There it is, you said it yourself.

If there isn't any data to support the move then why is this an issue?

Because Snott wants it to be.

I don't blame you for wanting to have a great team in your area, that is natural.

My suggestion is to broaden your horizons and perhaps look at a place in Oakland, Alameda, Castro Valley, Alamo or whatever so you can be closer to the A's.

The A's were a great team in Philly and did great things, the team is great in Oakland and has done great things.

Going to SJ would be almost as bad as the K.C. era.

The great history of this club is 4 world titles in Oakland. O-A-K-L-A-N-D..the Oakland A's, sounds great doesn't it?

Why screw with it?

Leave the lame side and see the light, if you want the team closer to home, Move.

That is much more possible.

The mountain is not going to go to Mohammad, come to the mountain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rono on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 01:09 pm:

Eyleen,
Although there may be a conpiracy, why haven't the EXPOS been gobbled up by Portland, Vegas , Nashville etc. Contraction is a myth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 06:11 pm:

The Spos will be the first Puerto Rican Team. Selig may want to make the A's the first Mexican Team.

Buds legacy is to internationalize the game.

Which all sounds great until you realize the average fan in either of these countries can't afford what the MLB wants for a ticket.

There is your conspiracy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rono on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 09:39 pm:

It doesn't add up. You cannot generate the revenue in PR or Mexico to be competitive. Not all the games sold out in PR even with lower than US prices and a stadium of less than 25,000.If the average fan cannot afford a ticket , it won't fly. There may be all kind of conspiracies out there. Why didn't someone from Mexico or PR step up and buy the Expos . They have been for sale for two years. The fact is that no one has stepped to buy the team and provide a stadium. The Giants were guaranteed a stadium within two years of their decision to move ,hence they got a hastily developed Candlestick. The Coliseum was waiting for the A"s . Virginia supposedly has a stadium and DC stadium is still there. They are the most likely choice. If the conspiracies are real why is Schott looking for a stadium in Santa Clara.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 10:16 pm:

OK, I will cease with the sarcasm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sjathletics on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 12:26 pm:

Wow.... why on Earth did someone bump this thread up from two months ago?!

Goldtymer, me move... to the East Bay.... pffftt, please! Just kidding. No offense intended to East Bayers. I'm quite happy with my current situation down here even if it means I get to go to less games.

I would just rather see the A's down here rather then out of the area as a whole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bparkjamo on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 02:13 pm:

San Jose has a better chance of getting the Forty Niners than the A's.
Not having seen any studies on this,but if I were a betting man,I'd bet that most of the A's support comes from Contra Costa and Alameda counties,with Solano county up there as well.
I don't see these fans driving down to San Jose or Santa Clara if the A's move south. Santa Clara County by itself is not a big enough market to support a major League team,especially after the Dotcom bust.
In spite of what one might think,Schott would keep the A's in Oakland if a viable plan is put forth,be it a new park at the coliseum or in downtown (it can happen). Talk to De La Fuente and Brown about it.
As for the Expos---watch for Norfolk.
Don't laugh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rono on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 09:46 pm:

If Schott would keep the team in Oakland with a viable plan how come no one from the A's appeared at the city's presentation on possible sites and no one even commented on the presentation which was done by extemely competent consultants. They could have at least shown up and said thank you for the several hundred thousand dollars the city and county spent to do the studies.

Norfolk could be viable. Do they have an owner and a stadium plan ? They have been pretty quiet but may be that's the way it will go. No body knew the Haas family was going to buy the A's until it was a done deal and announced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 08:28 am:

Sometimes the quiet ones are the deal makers, that's for sure.

And the A's have a very quiet owner who may not say much but who may be a deal maker for Oakland when all of this is said and done. Btw, Hofmann has deeper pockets than Schott too...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 08:40 am:

sjathletics, it is ok to post you changed your mind about some things...or not...

as we all get informed and as time passes, all of us have changes of heart about things :)
or some of us strengthen our opinions as we get more relevant information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bparkjamo on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 12:08 pm:

Schott is not Steinbrenner.Steinbrenner is a loudmouth showoff.
While Schott may not have said anything PUBLICALLY
about the site study, I'm sure He let the city know His preferences as far as a site. I think He liked Howard Terminal,but that's been sold.And I think Hoffman liked the Coliseum site.
To Schott, the South Bay represents a viable option if Oakland drops the ball. If the A's were to move there, You can bet that the Giants got a chunk of money,at least 60 to 80 million dollars,to give up their rights.
I have doubts about a south bay ballpark happening,unless they have most of what's left of silicon valley paying for it directly,without taxes getting raised.
As for Norfolk, there's a group there very actively pursuing the Expos.
NORFOLKMLB.COM if You're interested.
BTW- if MLB wanted to move the A's out of the area,it would be Vegas most likely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 02:31 pm:

Hey SJ,

According to the Giants and KNBR, the heart of the Giants fan base is the border between San Mateo and Santa Clara counties. So, the A's have to stay in Oakland. Also, the South Bay rally for MLB was so low key that nobody in the Bay Area media cared to cover it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By undertheggb on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 03:29 pm:

The whole thing is so played out. Does anyone remember the rumor prior top the 2002 season that the Angels would be contracted and the A's would play in Anaheim. Howabout the Twins contracting? Then the old A's to Vegas plot..so silly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By undertheggb on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 03:31 pm:

not to mention the Dublin A's with the new stadium being built in Doherty Valley...that was the funniest one yet

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.