Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Even a fool knows better than Schott and Selig

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Even a fool knows better than Schott and Selig
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 02:23 pm:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2004/05/11/fool286.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 05:01 pm:

Amazing. Even the BF...

"Enjoy the Coliseum for what it is -- a simple, basic, affordable, friendly ballpark that works for everyone. Now if they would only lose the dot racing."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 05:01 pm:

BTW, I agree about the dot racing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 09:08 am:

Hey!
The A's invented dot racing and every team in the majors had to copy it with their own version.
The Yankees had airplane racing when I saw a game there once. YA!!!

Needless to say, I don't like dot racing either but I think it is an A's tradition that will never die. (I can't believe "Celebration" after wins went away!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 10:24 am:

I have a special attachment to dot racing because the CEO of my company invented it as an A's promotion when he was the editor of the SF Examiner years ago. He was kind enough to recently give me his last yellow plastic dot-racing watch from back in the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 01:07 pm:

More Oakland Coliseum memories from the Fool's column:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2004/05/18/coli.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 09:15 am:

Dot racing is the only non baseball related attraction that I look forward to seeing. Like kevink said, it was invented in Oakland and copied by everyone else. I would rather see a hundred dot races rather than stand in line for four hours with folks whose lone purpose for going to the game is to see fireworks or get a plastic doll. Some of the routines around the Colli have gotten a bit tired for me at least. It's time to change the music a little durring moments of drama and pregame entertainment. I get really nostalgic for the days where the sounds of the game were all that were heard. It could be worse. I go to a few Marlin games every year and while attendance is up this year, (of course) I have walked into Pro Player many times where crowds were marginally better than a high school football game. (Texas excluded) The worst part of it is that Pro Player has the loudest sound system of all the stadiums that I have been to. This is for the Dolphins of course, but the sound is deafening in an empty football stadium where Baseball is being played. The Marlins also have cheerleaders, (for baseball?) They also have just about every between inning loud obnoxious game and advertisement that is out there. The place also smells like cologne. I'm not kidding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 11:26 am:

rtd, try going to Petco Park. It's like going to a rock concert. You can't have a conversation with the person next to you between innings! But it still sounds like a better overall experience than Pro Player.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 12:25 pm:

Did you know that the Oakland Coliseum is credited with the first "WAVE"???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 08:38 pm:

"Did you know that the Oakland Coliseum is credited with the first WAVE??"

Not something to be proud of. But didn't Crazy George have something to do with that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 01:27 am:

Apparently so. Not at all proud. I have never been a proponent of the wave. I was shocked and dismayed to hear it started with our people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 08:06 am:

From today's Glenn Dickey's column:

A's to San Jose?: If the Montreal Expos are moved to either northern Virginia or Washington, D.C., it will not be a precedent for overturning the Giants' territorial rights in San Jose. When the Peter Magowan group bought the Giants in 1992, one of the conditions of the deal was that no other major- league team could locate in San Francisco, San Mateo or Santa Clara counties. That can't be changed by an owners vote.

Dickey should be telling his friends in the skybox 24 of the coli to stop saying there is a connection to Baltimore's territorial rights and the relocation to San Jose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 08:49 am:

Whoa, I thought the wave was great!

I knew we created the wave and I'm damn proud of that. I remember during the 80s how cool the wave looked, especially when the ball park was full.

Glenn Dickey is correct. All three of those counties were promised contracturally to the Giant's. So, schitt can't even contest it. Thank god for lawyers and free market exemptions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 05:36 pm:

I love Dickey sticking it to his colleague, Shea!

Anyone who starts or participates in the wave should be immediately ejected from the ballpark.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.