Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Why does Selig want baseball out of Oakland?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Why does Selig want baseball out of Oakland?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 10:07 am:

From John Shea's column in today's (May 23, 2004) SF Chronicle:

...Last week, when Selig was addressing the Expos' possible move to a site within close range of the Baltimore Orioles, he questioned whether the A's should have moved to the Bay Area in the first place.

"I think that baseball back in 1968 didn't take the care they should have when they moved a team into Oakland without assuming what it was going to do to San Francisco," Selig said. "And as a result, for a long period of time there was a lot of difficulty as a result of that decision."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 10:11 am:

And those Selig quotes from last week come almost three years to the day that he said virtually the same thing to a Washington D.C. TV station ("A'sfaninDC" alerted us to this.)

Video link:
http://www.oaklandfans.com/selig/interview.html

Three years later ... and Selig is still 100 percent wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lightfoot on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 08:50 am:

Oh man. I can't believe he's still making comments like this... The guy who put two teams in Florida, and let the Expos situation occur, and he's messing with two teams with respectable attendence. Oye. Can he do ANYTHING over here that doesn't involve kissing up to Magowan?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 09:24 am:

From complete elimination by contraction to merging with the Angels, Selig has been on a lifelong mission to completely destroy the Oakland A's...

He has something planned for the Oakland A's but it does not include staying anywhere near the Bay Area.

Meanwhile, the franchise he stole from Seattle has been a complete failure, even after his publicly funded ballpark. He got the Seattle Pilots' owner to declare bankruptcy so he could take the team for practically nothing...and look at his legacy now.

But how can anybody fight the head of a cartel with its extortion and conniving methods?

Are there enough people out there who really care?
We'll see...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asfanindc on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 03:24 pm:

My thoughts (three years later) on Selig's once-again short-sighted comments re: the A's move to Oakland. http://athletics.mostvaluablenetwork.com/index.php?p=44

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 03:45 pm:

and here's from Neyer's recent column:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=neyer_rob&id=1807883

Also, it looks like ... (I hope you're sitting down, because you're about to be shocked out of your skin) ... it looks like Selig's not going to retire at the end of 2006 after all. Yes, he sort of promised to retire then, but that was a few months ago and who knew that 2007 could approach so quickly? Now Selig says, "I'm open to staying but we'll see what happens. So I have two and a half years -- longer than that, maybe."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 04:02 pm:

Melissa--Great piece, more thoughtful than anything that has ever come out of Bud's mouth!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 04:33 pm:

Great to hear from you, "asfanindc."

Big thanks again for letting us know about that TV interview.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asfanindc on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 04:34 pm:

eyleenn:
Thanks!
I just have a feeling that Selig's impression of the A's comes not from any direct knowledge of the A's or of the Bay Area market, but from some other, biased source (Magowan perhaps?) who gives him a slanted, revisionist history of the A's and their impact on both baseball and the Giants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 05:27 pm:

More juicy tidbits from Neyer's colunn above:

"... Even if the MLB-to-Las Vegas people can figure out the financing, there's simply no way it can happen before MLB decides the fate of the Expos. However, Las Vegas and Portland both "are casting covetous eyes at the Oakland Athletics."
"Here's my "favorite" recent story about MLB's business dealings ... Sportservice, which has concession rights at a number of ballparks, "is increasingly replacing ballpark vendor employees with volunteers recruited from local charities."

"It's a good deal for the charities, because they can make some money (though the hours are long). It's a bad deal for the fans, though, because the volunteers aren't particularly efficient, which leads to longer lines. And of course it's a "mockery of the job-creation promises so often used to justify public funding of stadiums."

---------

At least Schott's concession company still appears to be hiring regular workers and not "volunteers". Thank god for small favors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 05:57 pm:

He had volunteers selling tickets at FanFest

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lightfoot on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 10:44 am:

Selig not retiring after 2006? Can't say I'm surprised, but I was hoping.... just hoping that if the A's could hold out, the next commissioner might be slightly more sympathetic to the team.

More years of dealing with Selig's bonehead ideas. Fuuun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 03:00 pm:

In memory of Doug Pappas
http://www.roadsidephotos.com/baseball/secret.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 01:25 pm:

I agree with Pappas that teams should be required to spend a minimum on payroll. But Pappas gives the impression that a payroll minimum alone would solve the competitive balance problem.

We need more revenue sharing and a higher luxury tax. When a Beltran becomes available, let every team have a shot at signing a player of his caliber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 09:16 am:

Selig is at it again. Quoted last week (again!) saying that the A's should not have come to Oakland ...

http://usatoday.com/sports/baseball/columnist/bodley/2004-06-10-bodley_x.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 10:31 am:

Its seems this issue always goes back to the fact that the Giants have a history of "not sharing" ala, Babe Ruth and the Yankees selling out the Polo Grounds in the early 1920s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 10:34 pm:

The paragraph about the A's is immediately followed by the fact that two franchises have already failed in DC. No one is claiming that the Orioles caused the DC franchises to fail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 10:37 pm:

Why did the D.C. franchises fail exactly??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:37 am:

Poor Giants, with the A's moving they to Oakland they haven't won a title and I bet Selig and his cronies use that against us in some way that we have screwed them in not winning a title in 50 years and never winning once since they move to SF.

If the Dodgers can have two teams competing with them in SoCal, the Midgets can at least have one team competing against them in this market. What a bunch of morons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 09:14 am:

"Why did the D.C. franchises fail exactly??"

Because the good people of Maryland, DC and Virginia didn't support their team. That's why.

So, what makes the new ownership team think anything is different?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 09:26 am:

One more thing; Selig is an asshole!

Hopefully the son of a bitch will find himself defending himself against allegations of fraud and money laundrying. This guy is so damn crooked, I hope someone will take it upon themselves to investigate his finances and the ball park shenanigans in milwaukee.

I have a visceral hatred for this prick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 09:56 am:

Weren't the Senators pretty damn bad?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 11:02 am:

I would like to know how Selig would back up the statement that there has been a fortune lost in San Francisco and Oakland since the A's moved here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 11:25 am:

Actually, Selig can't back up more than half of what he says. He is a total asshole.

And, as crazy as this sounds, I think he will do whatever he can, within his power to see that Oakland doesn't draw better. I find the fact that the A's are playing in St.Louis & Chicago this year, to be highly suspicious. While we got Cincy and Pittsburgh. Next year it'll probably be the Brewers and Expos ... again. A couple years ago, it was the original plan that the Cards and Cubs would play here. I may be way off base, but I still suspect some tinkering with that portion of the schedule by slughead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 01:31 pm:

DJ, Steve Vucinich agrees with you (as do I!) Great quote from him in today's Chronicle (Slusser's column):
= = == =
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2004/06/15/SPG31767671.DTL

There is one aspect of the trip that Vucinich feels very strongly about - - like La Russa and Baker, he'd prefer that the Cardinals and Cubs play at the Coliseum, but for a different reason.

"I think if all Major League Baseball cares about is attendance, they should have had them play here,'' Vucinich said. "They both draw wherever they are, so it wouldn't matter to them, and they'd get huge crowds here. I think Commissioner (Bud) Selig and the schedule makers have made a grave mistake.''

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 06:46 pm:

That may be true, but I think we did pretty damn well with Cincy and Pittsburgh in town. The last 4 home games with those 2 ball clubs had attendance over 20,000. So even though that doesn't compare with the 40,000 or so more people that we wouldv'e had with Chicago or St. Louis in town, it was still decent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 08:00 pm:

It's all relative. 20K is good for the A's, but would be poor in other parks.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.