Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

We Shouldn't really wory.......

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: We Shouldn't really wory.......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 10:10 pm:

Oakland fans.....we really shouln't worry about the A's moving out of Oakland because history shows tht the A's won't leave. I really believe that The city and the mayor will eventually break dwn and justbuild the A's a new ballpark and that will be that. The A's, and the rest of baseball knows that Oakland is where it's at and that this is where they blong. So don't worry, the A's ain't going no where, the Oakland A's will be just that...the OAKLAND Athletics, so we can jst stop trippin.
We went threw tha same thing with the Warriors a few years ago, and they remain to play and invest their future in Oakland. The Sam thing wil happen with the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nickb on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 10:29 am:

And the Expos will always be in Montreal. And the Oilers will always be in Houston. And the Hornets will always be in Carolina. Nice dreams to have but reality speaks otherwise. I wish I could ignore this cold hard truth and enjoy the game for what it is as easily as you, but each time I revel in a win or a nice play, I end up thinking, how much longer will they even be here so why am I putting my emotions (and dollars) into this team?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 10:38 am:

You can't really compare other sports teams moving history, because of the structure of MLB. Other teams can pretty much move at will; baseball teams cannot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 02:39 pm:

I hear what ur saying nickb, ut as eyleenn said, and she was right, u can't compare other sports, and plus, the Oakland A's are a whole different story than those other teams, because the Hornets lost virtually their whole fan base in Carolina, due to violence on the court, the Oilers had a horrible relationship with Houston, and most of Montreal doesn't even know that the Expos exist so that's the main reason why those franchises relocated. The A's don't have those problems, the A's are not violent, the A's have a decent relationship with Alameda County, and the A's are atop every Oaklander's list of favorite sports teams, so that's why i'm so optimistic about the A's staying in Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nickb on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 02:44 pm:

I'm not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 02:45 pm:

Oakfash510,

You are exactly right.

Regards,

The Philidelphia A's, The K.C. A's, The Seattle Pilots, The Washinton Senators, The NY Giants, The Brooklyn Dodgers, The Boston Braves, The Milwuakee Braves, etc.., Etc.., Etc..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 02:47 pm:

ok!..........well maybe u shouldn't include yuorself on this site.......people hear, are positive and confident in the A's staying in Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nickb on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 03:06 pm:

Some people are realistic, some have blinders on. I prefer to deal in facts.

p.s., I'll go to whatever site I choose and you are free to do the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 03:10 pm:

OH NO!!!!!!!

Please don't BANISH ME!!!!

Look,

I am as positive and optomistic as anyone (ask the other posters about me) I am not Myopic about it though.

My point is if you run around unwilling to aknowledge the possibility and just dismiss it, then you deserve what you ultimately get.

My idea about this site was that it was created by a "Coalition" dedicated to keeping the team in Oakland. If people HERE (not hear) were Myopic and did not think that there was reason for concern, there would be no need for a coalition now would there?

That is what people on this site are about (my guess anyway) that is KEEPING THE A's IN OAKLAND DESPITE THE OWNERSHIP, BUD SELIG and economics of baseball working against us.

If I am wrong about all of this oaklandfasho510, please let me know.

Meanwhile, I encourage you to speak your mind on this site/forum or any other as that is YOUR RIGHT. Just prepare to "hear" a different point of view.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 03:10 pm:

ok! nickb.....exactly what are the "facts" tat you insist on talking about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 03:15 pm:

I'll start this one, it is on this site...start here oakfasho

http://www.oaklandfans.com/selig/interview.html

That is from the commish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 03:16 pm:

goldtymer I haven't dismissed anything, trust me, I know "the possibilities" but i'mso optimistic because I know how hard it is to relocate a team, I know that the city is willing to work with the A's and I know that Oakland citzens are willing to put up the dollars for a new baseball only facility which was proven in a 2002 poll.

p.s. "Hear" was ment for Here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 03:18 pm:

ok! goldtymer.....that was a good one, but I also heard the comish say in a 2001 visit to San Francisco that he "didn't like moves" and that "ths team needs a new stadium, not move" which you can read in it's entirety on the official Oakland A's website in the 2002 Archives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 03:31 pm:

Selig specifically stated that MLB made a mistake letting the A's come here without securing the Giants permission strictly because he believes this is a one team market.

I should be able to pull up some articles on our owner and his desire to be elsewhere.

After the game...it starts in 30 minutes.......

Welcome to join game chat though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 10:04 pm:

oaklandfasho510, we try to be realistic about keeping the A's in Oakland. There's no point in burying our heads in the sand and getting all Pollyanna about the facts. Schott wants to move ("the A's have no future in Oakland"), Selig thinks it was a "horrible mistake" to let the A's move into the gnats territory and would prefer to have the A's eliminated (he put them on the original contraction list). That's a pretty big mountain to climb.

"That is what people on this site are about (my guess anyway) that is KEEPING THE A's IN OAKLAND DESPITE THE OWNERSHIP, BUD SELIG and economics of baseball working against us."

GT, exactamundo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 08:55 am:

The worse we can do is under-estimate and ignore the forces which are constantly pulling and trying to go against keeping the A's in Oakland.

Here's a short list:

Selig and his idea the Oakland A's was a mistake because it hurt the Giants. He has been on a mission to extract the A's from the Bay Area since the late 60's and will never change.

Magowan and Giants' investors who don't want to continue to share this market. The Giants debt service will continue for another 16 years and the honeymoon with the new ballpark will be over along with Barry Bonds shrinking act.
Just think...with the A's gone, they can field a team as cheap as the Brewers and still make money.

Schott and his irresponsible pipe dream of being a hero in his hometown. Even Selig became a hero in Milwaukee but the honeymoon is over and the taxpayers there are now feeling how badly they were robbed.

A's fans who simply would like the team to relocate closer to where they live. The lack of unity of the A's fan base may be what will one day hurt the cause of keeping the A's in Oakland most of all.

Oakland politicos and taxpayers’ refusal to spend any MORE money on corporate welfare. One can hardly blame them after the experience they’ve had with all the sports franchises they have dealt with in the last few years.

In order to accomplish our goal which is to keep the A's in Oakland where it belongs, we must rationalize in an organized and responsible manner. Never should we go into denial of any of the factors we must confront and respond appropriately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 03:13 pm:

GT, you neglected to mention Washington ... TWICE ... both Texas and MN thank them. And this "esteemed" commissioner is thinking of making it a 3rd go around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 08:06 pm:

Thank you d.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 10:21 pm:

I have an idea. Slug Selig should consider moving the Expos to Milwaukee and make his team the roving vagabonds. :) Yeh, I like this idea. They (Brewers) could split their home games between Vegas, Portland & Virginia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 08:38 am:

Btw, Selig doesn't mention how the honeymoon with the new ballparks is over in most cities...

Yesterday, there was this tibit on the post-games notes of the Cleveland game which was on a three day weekend.

The third-largest crowd of the season was on hand, 26,441, primarily because there was a fireworks show after the game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 08:36 pm:

Yes, Cleveland had a nice run with attendance mainly because they fielded WINNING teams for many years. But as they went into rebuilding mode, as most teams do eventually (are the giants EVER going to do that?), people lost interest. This same phenomenon happens in nearly every city! You win, you draw fans, you lose, people don't come. The new stadium may be good for a season or two if you are a mediocre team, but we can see it does not work much beyond that (see Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Detroit, etc.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sjathletics on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 10:33 am:

By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, May 28, 2004:
p.s. "Hear" was ment for Here.

Gotta love that. While fixing one "typo" you make another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 10:50 am:

guess what sfathletics?
that is really weak of you to attempt a rebuttal or try to win any argument by correcting another poster's spelling...
that is all you could come up with in defense of your oh so worthy cause?

that is in fact a far greater way of losing credibility than typos or miss-spelled words.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 10:54 am:

ha ...how about my typo?

sjathletics and not sfathletics...

that was a very justified lapse indeed for they are one of the kind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sjathletics on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 11:01 am:

diamond_lil,

My first post on this board I was corrected right off the bat for a grammar error and no one came to my defense because my views differ from most on this board.

I come here to read more then post so it doesn't bother me that you think I am losing credibility. I don't think I had any here to begin with anyways because of my choice of handles.

BTW, not all of us who favor moving the A's to San Jose are backing the idea because we want the team closer to our homes. That is just an added bonus. The real reason is because we feel it would be in the team's best interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 11:14 am:

Really sjathletics? As I can recall correctly, in one of your initial posts here, you called us "all you A's belong in Oakland yahoos "...

and after that, you're surprised we "yahoos" don't have a real friendly and civil attitude towards you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sjathletics on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 12:05 pm:

diamond_lil,

My first post on this board I was corrected right off the bat for a grammar error and no one came to my defense because my views differ from most on this board.

I come here to read more then post so it doesn't bother me that you think I am losing credibility. I don't think I had any here to begin with anyways because of my choice of handles.

BTW, not all of us who favor moving the A's to San Jose are backing the idea because we want the team closer to our homes. That is just an added bonus. The real reason is because we feel it would be in the team's best interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sjathletics on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 12:08 pm:

Odd. It looked like the last message didn't post so I posted it again. Sorry about the double post.

Lil, the yahoo post was last week I've been here for a little over a month now. My original post was something about contraction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 01:22 pm:

This is starting to look futile.

SJA: No surprise that nobody here likes you. You'd like to see the team moved out of Oakland, which runs contrary to the goals of the creators of this site and contrary to the overall mission of this site. What are you expecting, a big hug?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sjathletics on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 02:12 pm:

ssblip,

Nope, not at all. I was just pointing out that Lil was attacking me for doing what others here have done to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 02:20 pm:

Me no huggie.

I have learned something from this though.

I need to email Jerry asking him to remove everything I have ever said in this forum from record. People are Goooooood here.

All joking aside, ssblip nails it. sjathletics, this is either, you posting pro SJ stuff on this site because you thrive on being a shit disturber or you are completely ignorant about what this site (and coalition) are dedicated to.

So which is is Ignoramus or Shit disturber?

(Sorry, you must choose one of these two options only).

:O )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 02:27 pm:

I was screwing with you.

Being a bit of a stir up isn't really all bad for the site either and if you like the discussions & quality of posters, I encourage you to continue to post and discuss here.

I also like to know how the enemy thinks. That being said, prepare to be taken to task on nearly all that you say.

I liken this to an Al Franken fan joining Rush Limbaugh's chat room or visa versa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sjathletics on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 02:48 pm:

goldtymer,

I choose shit disturber.

I realize that everything I say here will come under attack in some form or fashion. I figure it is all fun and games and in the end we all have one thing in common, our love of the A's. Except for Lil. I think she has a secret agenda to destroy the franchise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 02:52 pm:

Or the secret agenda to ring your neck.
:O

We OAKLAND A's fans on this site are quite passionate about keeping the team here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 03:18 pm:

Except for Lil. I think she has a secret agenda to destroy the franchise.

How perceptive of you...
But let me guess... It must have been my difficult to hide passion for Bud Selig and his honorable cause of destroying the Oakland A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 03:45 pm:

OAFCers are waging a campaign to keep the A's in Oakland. IMHO, we need people like sjathletics around to sharpen our debating skills. And maybe we'll win him over to our side! What do you say, sj?

While we're at it, we should propose more politically-correct handles for him.

I don't think we should begrudge people like sj for wanting the team closer to where they live. It's a natural sentiment. We can tell them, "Back off, jack!", but not begrudge them.

Aren't gt and asch struggling between themselves about moving the A's to either Bakersfield or Cincy? (Insert wink here.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 05:19 pm:

So calling sj...a duchebag has to stop now?

I'm totally kidding, as stated above, it is good to see Sj's perspective because it is representative of a demographic (of unknown quantity) that want's the A's in Sj and it is good to understand .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 07:05 pm:

Excuse me for correcting your spelling, gt, but if you're going to insult someone, it works better if you spell it properly: douchebag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 07:12 pm:

LOL!!!!

THANK YOU!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 08:08 pm:

Anytime!

:)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.