Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

We need to take some serious action.....

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: We need to take some serious action.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 03:04 pm:

OAKLAND FANS...... I know we all love the A's, and we want them to stay, but just sitting back and watching the KTVU news or reading the newspaper, waiting on news on the A's future, we really need to take action. Action like getting petitions sined and sending them to the A's owner's and the Oakland mayor. That will show the owners that we realy do care and put the mayor under pressure. I live in Oakland and I happen to know that Oakland mayor Jerry Brown doesn't work well under pressure. What we need to dois rekindle that same energy we hadin 2001-02 when we had protest at City hall, what's happening? we need to really need to fight for our right to the A's as East Bay citizens. Can't you guys see that all the owners really want isto see that the city really cares aboout the A's, and please don't get me wrong, I'm not on the owners side, but if we can show support than the A's and MLB will se that Oakland is it for major league baseball. It's obvious because at our cty hall meeting for the A's we had over 400 people their, San Jose only had about 250, u do the math.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 03:13 pm:

Is this the same person who just said "Don't Worry?"

Either way, ok.

You should ask Jerry to put you with any OAFC board member to see what is on the latest agenda.

JERRY, WHAT IS ON THE AGENDA?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 03:23 pm:

yep.....this is me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 03:52 pm:

"JERRY, WHAT IS ON THE AGENDA?"

The OAFC will be in attendance at the Chamber of Commerce meeting next week, and will be making a presentation. As mentioned by Lil, on another thread, we are awaiting the outcome of the meeting to determine a course of action, so stay tuned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 03:55 pm:

ok! thanx! jerryo1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 04:00 pm:

I'll say again what I said on another thread last week:

"We're doing some work behind the scenes and will update you when we know more. I support the idea of a rally in Oakland, but it would be best if we could connect it with an event, such as some kind of discussion/vote at City Hall, etc. We can draw more attention that way."

Simply taking action without something concrete to connect it to will not get the attention of the media. Some members of the OAFC board are attending a meeting next week that might provide a better sense of direction.

At the end of the day, though, I really don't want to hear about the city of Oakland needing to show the A's they want them. In 2002 the city and county spent $300,000 having a study done by HOK Sports to explore stadium locations, etc., and the A's couldn't have cared less. They didn't attend any of the numerous JPA and Oakland City council meetings about the ballpark search. So as far as I'm concerned the city has shown their commitment and the A's need to do some work showing they are committed to staying here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 04:02 pm:

Sorry if I sounded harsh above but I really am frustrated that so much responsibility is being put on the city, as if they have never done anything to retain the team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 04:13 pm:

it's cool!........just keep me updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 09:59 pm:

Oaklandfasho510, did you know that in 2001, the OAFC collected in the neighborhood of 20,000 signatures on a petition to Jerry Brown to KEEP THE A'S IN OAKLAND? Brown felt no pressure. Instead, he twisted arms on the City Council to get them to approve the Forest City housing development and he won.

Jerry Brown is totally indifferent to sports in general and the A's in particular. Even without his support, the JPA and City Council hired HOK to study ballpark sites, and the A's TOTALLY IGNORED IT.

The OAFC will be ready to move when the time is right. Indeed, stay tuned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 04:03 am:

Funny, I remember going to a playoff game (2000) and actually seeing Linda Ronstadt's ex-boyfriend showing up for (what I believe was ) his first A's game. He had some young female "pr type" with him.

He was allowed to park under the ramp and walk in under the center field entrance.

I wanted to hawk a loogie on him but was too far away.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.