Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Why is keeping the A's in Oakland so important?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Why is keeping the A's in Oakland so important?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 03:33 pm:

i'll say because if the A's stay, then it will keep Oakland on the map as a great sports city. The Raiders probably won't stay, and even though the Warriors will probably be playing in Oakland forever, they're still not identified as Oakland's team, thier the Golden State Warriors< (which sounds so stupid)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 12:00 am:

Despite what others may say, Oakland is a great city. And as a great city we need to keep our assets at home. The Raiders will remain here. Al isn't going anywhere soon. And the Warriors will eventually change to the Oakland Warriors. Hell, if the California Angels can change, why not the Warriors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 12:34 am:

The problem pointed out many times is that the city of Oakland has three owners who probably don't want to be here if they had there choice.

Schott has all but pleaded his case in moving the team to the south bay.

Davis I think still can't be trusted that he won't move the Raiders out of Oakland once the lease is done and the LA market is still a huge draw for him because of the money.

Cohan, if he really wanted to rename it from GS to Oakland, he would've done it by now. He's had the team for over a decade, the city/county has basically renovated the arena for the team and he has yet to prove that he'll change the GS nametag from the organization and choose Oakland. I think he doesn't want to insult the fans from the other parts of the bay area to root for an "Oakland" team. Why else hasn't he changed it by now since he's owned the team?

The next decade could see at least two of Oakland's team leave the city, the A's and Raiders. The Warriors I don't see leaving because there isn't a place for them to go, maybe SJ but if Schott gets his way; I don't see how the city of Oakland loses both the W's and A's to SJ. Forget the Warriros moving the SF, as some SF figures have wanted like Willie Brown. They won't vote for any new tax increase to build an arena for the W's. Hell, they can't even build a new stadium for the Niners. A team that has brought that city their only five major league sports championships, who the hell thinks they'll pony up the 200-300 million for a new state of the art arena somewhere in SF. Don't see that happening.

Then you got the Jerry Brown factor who might be the worst politician in the bay area's history to not care about the city's sports teams. I honestly don't think he could tell the Big 3 from any other three A's players standing next to them. Yes, he's done a great job with the developers and building the city of Oakland as a "world class city" but sports in Oakland and the teams that are in it have been part of the city of Oakland's identity and soul. It's not like if you lose the A's, you'll get them back or get a new franchise placed in your city. It was a miracle that the Raiders came back and it's been so so every since with the city-team-fan relations.

The A's do need a new stadium and I think the uptown area discussion is dead. More and more, it looks like that boring Forrest City project is moving forward and the only other logical place to build a stadium for the A's in downtown Oakland is near the Howard Terminal location or close nearby the waterfront by Jack London Square.

At the end though, what really needs to happen is to stop all this nonsense about the A's going to SJ or anywhere out of Oakland. I don't know where the A's could go anywhere else in the country other than somewhere else in the bay area. The bay area is still a two team market for baseball as it is for football. But I don't see a new park in Oakland for at least a decade. Not until Brown is gone from the mayoral spot in the city and by some miracle, the A's get a new owner committed from the start in keeping the A's in Oakland long term and not the bs we fans have been dealing with for almost a decade with Schott.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.