Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

People criticize the Coliseum but............

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: People criticize the Coliseum but............
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 09:56 pm:

People criticize the coliseum but I was at a game the other day, and I noticed that like many newer, modern ballparks, The Coliseum has: green seats, plenty of luxury suites, private clubs, great sound, and not one, but two video and matrix boards, also a great field and wonderful sight lines. Plus it has plenty of transportation.
So as I was at the game, I started to ask myself,What is wrong with the Coliseum again?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 10:36 pm:

this is why with the lux boxes and all these owners are really banking big bucks and how much more will they make with a new stadium? remember they are at 70-80% full on lux sells.

i would love to see the real numbers involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:22 am:

The net is still a very nice park to watch a game but when you compare it to the newer parks, there's no comparison.

I've been to SBC a couple of times and I'll take that park over the net anytime of the year.

Yes, the net has some of the same features that these newer parks have but I feel it's not the same.

There are green seats, but there are too many. With these newer parks you usually get 40k-45k capcity but the net has a capacity of over 55k. That means anytime you want, you can go to the game and buy a ticket and if there's a big crowd for the Giant/Yanks/BoSox games; you get a major amount of enemy fans there unlike it is when you go to a park where the park is filled and it's hard to get a ticket. The bay area I've always posted here is a "event town". If it's the in thing to do, people will go there and even though the A's are winning and have been winning the past five years, it's still not the popular thing to go to an A's game until maybe the playoffs. The net has been bashed the past decade ever since mount davis was built. Yes, some fans say that the view wasn't all that great or important but it was a huge change to one of the better baseball parks and some fans aren't all that happy with the change. Add that to the destruction of the heart and soul of the net before 95, the bleachers and you lost many fans who went to the A's games for that experience alone.

The new outfield/homerun seats don't have the best viewing angles. When a ball is hit to the warning track in front of you, you don't know what the hell is happening and you have to rely on the rest of the fans in the stadium to know what's happening and even then, it's hard to tell. You mention the video screens. Why aren't the screens showing the play once the ball is in play. At least that way you can have a idea of what's going on in front of you.

I already mentioned one bad sightline of the homerun seats, another disadvantage is that you can't see the out of town scores unless you walk through the concourses and check them out.

Yes, the clubs are very nice but in my opinion, I'd take the bleachers with the old score board than the cement mountain that's occupying that space now.

Last problem I have, the field is completely destroyed after September when the Raiders have their season. No team should play on that bad surface after two or three Raider games are played on it. The injuries, the bad bounces and the sheer ugliness of the field turning from that beautiful green to that ugly brownish/yellow/green that's torn up. It's a football stadium now and it will always be one with Mt. Davis reminding us fans about it everytime we go to a game and see that huge structure.

The A's deserve a new baseball only park. They deserve to play in a park that recognizes their success and accomplishments in Oakland and the city too needs a park that can highlight the turnaround of the downtown area. As of now, the net does neither.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:25 am:

The net is still a very nice park to watch a game but when you compare it to the newer parks, there's no comparison.

I've been to SBC a couple of times and I'll take that park over the net anytime of the year.

Yes, the net has some of the same features that these newer parks have but I feel it's not the same.

There are green seats, but there are too many. With these newer parks you usually get 40k-45k capcity but the net has a capacity of over 55k. That means anytime you want, you can go to the game and buy a ticket and if there's a big crowd for the Giant/Yanks/BoSox games; you get a major amount of enemy fans there unlike it is when you go to a park where the park is filled and it's hard to get a ticket. The bay area I've always posted here is a "event town". If it's the in thing to do, people will go there and even though the A's are winning and have been winning the past five years, it's still not the popular thing to go to an A's game until maybe the playoffs. The net has been bashed the past decade ever since mount davis was built. Yes, some fans say that the view wasn't all that great or important but it was a huge change to one of the better baseball parks and some fans aren't all that happy with the change. Add that to the destruction of the heart and soul of the net before 95, the bleachers and you lost many fans who went to the A's games for that experience alone.

The new outfield/homerun seats don't have the best viewing angles. When a ball is hit to the warning track in front of you, you don't know what the hell is happening and you have to rely on the rest of the fans in the stadium to know what's happening and even then, it's hard to tell. You mention the video screens. Why aren't the screens showing the play once the ball is in play. At least that way you can have a idea of what's going on in front of you.

I already mentioned one bad sightline of the homerun seats, another disadvantage is that you can't see the out of town scores unless you walk through the concourses and check them out.

Yes, the clubs are very nice but in my opinion, I'd take the bleachers with the old score board than the cement mountain that's occupying that space now.

Last problem I have, the field is completely destroyed after September when the Raiders have their season. No team should play on that bad surface after two or three Raider games are played on it. The injuries, the bad bounces and the sheer ugliness of the field turning from that beautiful green to that ugly brownish/yellow/green that's torn up. It's a football stadium now and it will always be one with Mt. Davis reminding us fans about it everytime we go to a game and see that huge structure.

The A's deserve a new baseball only park. They deserve to play in a park that recognizes their success and accomplishments in Oakland and the city too needs a park that can highlight the turnaround of the downtown area. As of now, the net does neither.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.