Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

How much D.C. Expos may hurt Baltimore?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: How much D.C. Expos may hurt Baltimore?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 03:21 pm:

This was listed on the Field of Schemes Web site.

Link to the whole series:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-beltwayballgame,0,2068818.special

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 03:24 pm:

Oops. Sorry. Link doesn't work. You can find the link at:

http://www.fieldofschemes.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 10:34 pm:

I just read all the articles in this web site and it sickens me at how these greedy sobs are stealing millions of dollars fro the tax payer.

I wish these citie, counties and states would just tell these loosers to build the damn areana and stadiums themselves.

F**k'em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 12:13 pm:

The RICO racketeering/corruption lawsuit vs. Selig and Loria may affect Expos move, says Tuesday's (June 15) Las Vegas Sun article:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/births/2004/jun/15/517020393.html

ARTICLE EXCERPT:
Another factor that could upend the Expos' proceedings is a lawsuit filed by 14 former minority owners of the Florida Marlins, against MLB, including Selig, and current Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria.

That group of Canadian businessmen once owned 76 percent of the Expos until Loria gained control of the club. In February 2002, Loria sold the Expos to baseball's 29 other owners and bought the Marlins from John Henry, whose group purchased the Boston Red Sox.

That minority group of former Expos owners now owns 6 percent of the Florida franchise.

In July 2002, they filed a Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act lawsuit, a 46-page document, in U.S. District Court in Florida, then it was transferred to arbitration. DuPuy said those claims are "wholly without merit."

The suit seeks $100 million in punitive and at least $100 million in compensatory damages, which could be tripled. A ruling, to determine whether the former limited partners have a case with the RICO suit, is expected in August at the American Arbitration Association in New York.

Thirteen months ago, Judge Ursula Ungaro-Benages, of the U.S. District Court in Miami, ordered baseball to give her court 90 days' notice of any attempt to move or sell the Expos.

That could stall Selig's plan to announce a new home for the team for next season by the mid-July All Star break. Jeffrey Kessler, a lawyer representing the limited partners, has threatened to file an injunction against the Expos' relocation once that sale is announced.

Baseball economist and author Andrew Zimbalist said the entire relocation process is a mess.

"Here we are two years into trying to figure out what's going to happen to this franchise, and all we have are inchoate plans," he told The Oregonian. "I'm not sure the Expos are going to move. There's a significant chance -- something more than a 10-percent chance -- that they're not going to move the franchise at all.

"It's interesting because it's stalemated all the way around. It's not just the cities and MLB, but arbitration and RICO litigation also are stalemating the situation. There's nothing to move it forward other than a game of words."

So the train might not have enough power to leave the station.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 12:39 pm:

Why don't the Expos move to Boston? Fenway sells out many times over; Camden Yards doesn't. The Expos would hurt the Orioles in DC a helluva lot more than the Red Sox in Boston.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 11:37 pm:

Speaking of the Expos...the've delayed a decision on them for the third straight year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/06/25/bc.bbn.exposmove.ap/

SHOCKING! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavy4ever on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:07 am:

5th, I agree with you 100%. Putting a team somewhere in New England is a smart decision, since they have the market control of 5 states. I guess there just isn't the room in Boston, but maybe in Foxboro, or maybe Hartford or Providence could be a logical choice. But let's face it, as long as the 'Spos move out of Montreal, it's going to be an enormous upgrade for that franchise.

It's weird how that franchise used to be so strong, but just completely fell off after the strike. I mean, the NHL has had lockouts, and another long, long lockout looming, but the Canadians will never be hurt in attendance by that. Obviously hockey is the national sport in Canada, and Montreal is the Mecca for it, but how can fans turn a blind eye to the numerous hockey lockouts, but refuse to support baseball from the lockout in '94. I guess it may be the fact that salaries are so skewed compared to the NHL.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.