Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Is it true that Jerry Brown.........????

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Is it true that Jerry Brown.........????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 07:14 pm:

Is it true that Jerry Brown actually invited Schot to look at potential ballpakr sites and he didn't even sow up?
That's what I heard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:49 pm:

Jerry Brown waited inside a helicopter along with other city officials, at the Coli, for a scheduled view of all the sites...Schott was a NO SHOW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:08 pm:

well that probably killed any chance for a ballpark in Oakland, because Schott basically told the city that we can kiss it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:33 pm:

I think opmistically a new park could be built somewhere in Oakland within a decade.

That means that Brown would have to be gone as mayor and somebody sports friendly would have to be elected. Then during that time, somebody would have to buy Schott's part of the A's. I don't know if Hoffman is all that against the A's staying in Oakland like Schott is.

I'm still wondering where that supposed buyer mentioned last fall wanting to buy the A's is? Reports were that he/they would make themselves public a few months from the story being broken but nothing has happened. Guess it was another story that led to a false sense of hope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:47 pm:

oaktown fan:
it's so easy to be optimistic about a new Oakland ballpark, because we see Oakland's beauty. but unfortunately Schott doesn't. And I wanted to know about that buyer too, but it's justlike he disappeared. And he reportedly "love downtown Oakland" so it sounded like a match from heaven. but what has happen to him? I also wanna know what's the deal with the Uptown site. I wa just over there this morning and all I see is a parkig lot full of cars. I don't see anything being built over there. So what's the deal with tha?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:47 pm:

oaktown fan:
it's so easy to be optimistic about a new Oakland ballpark, because we see Oakland's beauty. but unfortunately Schott doesn't. And I wanted to know about that buyer too, but it's justlike he disappeared. And he reportedly "love downtown Oakland" so it sounded like a match from heaven. but what has happen to him? I also wanna know what's the deal with the Uptown site. I wa just over there this morning and all I see is a parkig lot full of cars. I don't see anything being built over there. So what's the deal with that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:04 pm:

www.oaklanduptown.com

That's what's going to happen to the Oakland uptown

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:14 pm:

But when is it going to happen?
The plan looks nice and everyhing but why can't a ballpark go with that plan?
Oaktownfan what do you think of the Uptown Pictures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:26 pm:

I don't know when the actual construction will begin but the uptown project probably will be completed in a few years if everything goes well. I don't know much about the uptown project.

A park would be great to go along with housing in the uptown area, but even to think about it has to bring in A's ownership at least to discuss about it.

One of the drawbacks of A's ownership showing no interest when the city of Oakland hired HOK is that we couldn't see what a 3-D model of what a park could've looked like if the process had continued on. It would've been great to see how the park itself would have looked like and what could've been portrayed around the park too but it never happened.

I've always thought that housing alone and a few shops won't revitalize or create the same type of excitement that a new park would create. The shops, bars, restaurants, clubs that could go around the area would draw thousands there tens of thousands to the downtown area 6 months out of the year. You hear some that say the park would be a huge eyesore the rest of the year when baseball isn't being played. Why can't the park be used for other purposes that the arena/net are being used for. I look at SBC all the time and see concerts, festivals, truck/car events, and other huge drawing cards being held there so why couldn't the same be said about a park in downtown Oakland in the uptown area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:30 pm:

yeah! that's true. But I highly doubt that it would be an eyesore. Is the Arena an eyesore hen the Warriors season isn't in? No it's just another Oakland landmark that we love. And the biggest eyesore right now is the current uptown sight. I seems to be a thousand cas parked there. If I want to see a thosandcars parked some where I could walk a few blocks down to the Broadwa Auto Row.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:46 pm:

"But I highly doubt that it would be an eyesore."

Remember when the vote for SBC was here, you heard so much opposition from some in SF that the park would be a drawback to that area. That nobody would want to go to area of the city and that it would be a ghost town once the baseball season is over. Well, where are those complete morons now who said that. They'll probably the same people who are going to SBC and eating at the restaurants near the park.

The same thing would happen if a park is built in downtown Oakland. Uptown or near the waterfront, a new park would not only keep the A's here; but would give the city of Oakland and the residents something to be proud about. A state of the art park that would give the city some national attention.

Housing alone can't do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:14 am:

I Know, and plus, it's not guaranteed that housing would even revitalize the neighborhood a little bit. I mean, what can residents do that would revitalize that area. A ballpark is much better and we are not talkin drawing thosands of people there. Were talkin 3 million people in that area every year. I Mean do the math........10,000 or 3 million. Which one would you prefer???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:26 am:

That 3 million is just for baseball only, there's still other events that would bring in tens of thousands to the downtown area every week at least if you had the concerts that were going to be played at the arena being moved to a new downtown park.

You would still have your housing too so it's not like that area would just be the park and the entertainment venues around it.

I mean housing there won't bring me as a resident of Oakland there. Sure you'll get thousands of people moving in but compare that to the tens of thousands you would get if a park was there and those tens of thousands would spend money in a downtown that deserately needs a nightlife.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.