Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

As upsetting as it is.... it's reality?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: As upsetting as it is.... it's reality?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:33 pm:

As upsetting as it is ... the reality o it is, is that Schott is not looking foward to keeping this team in Oakland, and there is really nothing else to say or do. We've done everything that we can do and he jst doesn't give a damn about us. That man is trying his hardest to get this team out f Oakland. Everytime a new ballpark is mentiond, he never says that he would be interested in building in Oakland, it's always "maybe South Bay" or "somewhere in the Bay Area" but never somewhere in Oakland. He's even mentioned other East Bay cities. But where in the East Bay is there a bigger population then Oakland? Where else in the Bay Area would you build? Santa Clara is Giants territory, so is San Francisco and Marin counties. So all the A's have is the East Bay, and no other East Bay city besides Oakland is big enough to be home to a Major League team, So Schott really should look at that and consider that Oakland is the best place for the A's. But he doesn't see that, so now us fans are sittng here on our toes daydreaming about a new A's ballpark, and hoping that they'll stay in Oakland, but we just need to stop stressing because it seems as if baseball holds the ultimate decision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:40 pm:

He's mentioned Fremont as a possiblity.

I don't know what the hell he would call the A's if they did move there. The Fremont A's?! Please. I know he wouldn't want to keep the Oakland label on the team.

We fans can't do anything if the owner and the commish doesn't want to keep this team in Oakland. We can bitch and thrown out valid arguments to stay but once Schott/Selig/McGowen see their chance to move the A's out of Oakland or the Bay Area, they'll jump at it and I'm afraid there's nothing the fans or city can do other than sue them but does this city need to go to court again when it deals with sports teams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:50 pm:

that's true, but where would they go???, I mean let's not foget that you still have to finance a ballpark, and with astuggling economy, what city would actually do that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:07 pm:

The area Schott really wants to move the A's in San Jose. Fremont would be his second option if the SJ deals falls flat.

Then there's always the Portland area. I don't see anywhere else a city in America could support a mlb team.

I do think at the end, the A's will remain in the bay area. This is the fifth biggest media market in the country and it can and has supported two teams for close to 35 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:12 pm:

yeah!.... I hear u, but somethin tells me tht the A's will probably stay in Oakland. I mea remember they were about to move to Denver in the 80's. Just like te Giants wer going to moved to San Jose or Tampa Bay in the 90's. Something is just telling me if it didn't happen then, then it probably won't happen now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:30 pm:

The Giants were going to move the St. Petersburg. I remember watching the news and it was a done deal. They had footage of the St. Pete area shops having shirts having the St. Petersburg Giants logo on it. Then the owners decided to deny the sale and McGowen and his ownership group bought the team.

Pretty simple to say that mlb never would've let the Giants move out of SF. Too big of a market for them to leave and I don't think they would be all that happy if Oakland had the only team in the bay area.

You'd think the nfl would be happy if the Niners left SF and moved to LA and had the Raiders as the only team in the bay area.

The Warriors' situation when they moved from SF to Oakland is a totally different issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:10 am:

yeah! but I thin0k the RAIDERS have the most loyal fan base so maybe the NFL does want this to be a one team market, and the 49ers desperately need a new stadium, and SF is not even thinking about them. And I seriously don't se the NFL allowing the Raiders to move again. So we will see how thatgoes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:16 pm:

Who knows what Al Davis will do once the lease deal is up with the city in about 6 years. I don't think he could care less about the city of Oakland and would once again move the city back down south, especially if no teams are in LA when the lease is up later this decade.

Regarding the Niners, nothing will get done with a new stadium for the team as long as John York is the owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:34 pm:

yes, but i think it will be hard for Al Davis to move the Raiders out of Oakland again. The NFL probably wouldn't allow it and even if they did move the city of Oakland will have an NFL team because all the city would have to do is approch the NFL and let them know that too much money has been spent on renovating the Coliseum,and the NFL will probably expand or something. Who Knows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 11:24 pm:

First, I wouldn't put anything past Big Al.

Second, I thought the Raiders' lease had longer to run than 6 more years. Does anyone really know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 12:10 am:

The original lease for the Raiders I believe was 15 years starting from 1995 when they moved back to Oakland for that season. Now, I don't know if there was an extension so 2010 maybe not be the last year of the lease.

oaklandfasho510, the nfl won't be expanding anytime soon if not ever. There are enough teams in the nfl and expanding would just dilute the talent. So I don't see another team being created and when you do hear of teams moving to LA, it's not an expansion team, it's always a team that looking for a new stadium. Like the Vikings, Colts, Raiders, Chargers and Niners.

I think whoever of those five teams don't have a new stadium by 2008, they're the most likely to move to LA.

Yes, I'll include the Raiders because I hear that some Raiders people aren't all that thrilled with the renovated net. Atkinson I heard during the Raiders pregame show during last year's season opener with the Titans when he was in Tennessee isn't all that happy when he compares the net to the newer stadiums he's visited the past few years. He's even said that both the net and the stick are the two worst stadiums in the nfl so if Atkinson isn't all that thrilled, you know Davis isn't that happy either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 07:41 pm:

Oaktown fan: I hear you say that you hear that some "Raiders people aren't that thrilled about the renovated net" but isn't the net the same stadium that $100 million dollars was put into? Isn't this the same stadium that has a billion luxury suties?. The net is definately up there with all the other newer stadiums so I don't see what the RAIDERS or Atkinson<(whoever that is) is talking about. If the Raiders were selling out every game then I bet no one would be saying anything.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.