Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

What is it about Oakland that Schott dislikes so much?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: What is it about Oakland that Schott dislikes so much?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:57 pm:

What's the deal with this man. Oakland is a great city. Why does he dislike it so much?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 09:46 pm:

Blacks! People like him don't like Blacks or other minorities.

I've heard people from the tri-valley area, San Jose and the south bay refer to Oakland as N town.

They don't admit it, but they're a bunch of bigots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:05 pm:

Hey, I am from the tri valley and have never said anything like that...Nor do I call SF a G (gay) town. You are painting with a very wide brush!

Bigotry (sp) goes both ways!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:12 pm:

I'm black, and first of all, I think it's ridiculous that he thinks like that (if he does). That fool needs to look at a census, and he would see that only 35% of Oakland's population is black. And if he is solely for white people than Oakland shouldn't be an issue because 31% of Oakland's population is white. So there really isn't a very big difference in whites and blacks.He should go to some of the most upscale white Oakland neighborhoods like Montclair, Claremont, Redwood, and other places in the Oakland Hills. Also around the lake and in certain parts of Park Blvd. and East Oakland and he'll see that there is so many damn white people in Oakland that it's not even something to be ignored. Oakland is a beautiful diverse city that is enjoyed by everyone of any different race, culture, and background and if that peice of schitt has a problem with that then he can just pack up his team and go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:20 pm:

Not to leave other races out:
Latino 16%, Asian 14% Other

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 12:13 am:

Schott wants the money from the south bay. It's never going to happen.

McGowen was on 680 this week in an interview and was asked if he would ever sell the rights to the south bay and he said no and he's firm on that stance so Schott will never get through that nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 09:12 am:

Talking about race...there's no room for denials or hiding it under the rug...

Barry Bonds really was very blunt about his reasons for not going to Boston as a player. He simply "heard stories" to make him feel the folks there are too racist for his liking.

I have news for Barry Bonds...there's no such thing as being too racist or a little racist. One is either racist or you're not...and there are racist people in every state, or ballpark or any place in the entire world. There are many racists among their own ethnic and skin color groups.

The human race is what it is and we all have to learn to deal with its bigotry when groups of people decide to act like threatened pack animals.

Diversity is the name of the game...

One of the things I admire and love about Oakland and the Coli's atmosphere and environment is its fantastic diversity. I only felt that wonderful diverse environment in one other ballpark in my baseball life as a fan... Ebbets @ Flatbush, RIP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:57 pm:

So now we're calling Schott a racist? To just throw that out there without proof is reckless.
Tekgraf, have you lived in the South Bay?
I lived there for many years and defintely don't see the area as racist! That's a total insult to everyone living in the south bay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 04:07 pm:

I certainly apologize to my brothers and sisters in those areas. But I wasn't referring to those here.

I purposly generalized what I wrote to make a point. And that point being that there is an underlying prejudice towards Oakland. No, not all people in the tri-valley area have said that, but I've actually heard and encounter it.

An example; I was on BART and over heard two little toe head kids say exactly what I wrote. The parents and their two friends laughed until they saw that I over heard them.

Believe me, I know there are other bigots beside whites, but I really do believe if Oakland were less minority I don't think Oakland would have this bias.

Let me clear one thing, I am of Mexican descent. Ninth generation Californian and I know prejudice from whites, blacks and yes, mexicans from mexico. So I'm not trying to be flippant. [sic]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 09:31 pm:

5{as much as the next guy and am also quick to bring up racism when I see it but man, I don't think race has anything to do w/schitt's dislike of oakland. I think it comes down to two things:

1) He's from the South Bay

2) Corporate $pon$hip$

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 11:12 pm:

Life is too short to worry about what simple minded racist say or think. Don't ever generalize, or it is you that comes of looking like the racist. We all have a certian amount of prejudice in us, and if you say that you dont, your a damn liar. Being prejudice and racist are two completely diferent things which unfortunately intersect for some. If I harbored ill will toward all the people of varied races that have called me "White Boy", or "Racist", simply because I had a shaved head, I would be the Antigandhi. I admit that I sometimes pre judge people. But to prejudge someone on such a grandiose manner as to say they are "racist", and "don't like blacks", because their from a paticular area is a huge crock of shit. Playing the race card without any valid facts is just fuckin weak, and I'm sick of it. I abhor racism, and ignorance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 12:29 am:

I heard a bit of the Magowan interview that oaktownfan mentioned and I couldn't help but think that Magowan's intransigence plays right into Butthead's desire to either contract the A's or move them out of Oakland. (If they "can't survive in Oakland," and can't move to the South Bay....) In fact, although I'm not fond of conspiracy theories, I wonder if Selig and Magowan aren't collaborating on this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 08:42 am:

Racism comes from all kinds of people. If I went to SF, Oakland or SJ and a Purple kid called me a name, I would not assume that it is all of the Purple kids in that area that feel that way.

Tekgraf, I am sorry that you had that experience in the Tri Valley, the behavior of the parents in your story especially disgust me but if you wish not to be profiled based upon the behavior of two people, who may share a similar heritage, please do not profile others that way.

I consider that bigotry and fail to see how you can associate two toe-headed kids and the childrens delinquent parents with the entire Tri Valley area or with Snott for that matter.

I was robbed in Hayward therefore Hayward is all robbers? Mostly Robbers? The Robbers were women so all hayward women are robbers and so is Shotts wife because she comes from a similar area?

I fail to see your logic and I am not interested in knowing what anyones race is on this site, I am interested in your takes, opinions, personality and baseball knowledge.

Lil, as far as the History of the Boston Red Sox and racism, you may want to read "Shut Out: A Story of Race and Baseball in Boston".

Now, let's change the subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 06:10 pm:

Absolutely.

Sorry if I riled people on this wonderful site up a bit. The incident I was writing about happened on a BART train and it was entering the Fruitvale Station.

Anyway. Let's change the subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:33 pm:

Fair enough.

Seriously check out the book though, it is a fascinating read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 05:41 am:

I dont know how in the hell Tekgraf got his information, but he needs to come with some proof before he starts saying crazy stuff like that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 08:52 am:

yeah..I think it is over and forgiven and accepted as a moment of insanity.

You know folks will start jumping on you when you start a sentance with "people like that" or "you people" or any generalization.

It's over now.

Back to the subject, I don't think that Schott dislikes Oakland or that how Schott feels about Oakland is even part of this.

I believe that Schott never intended to keep the A's in Oakland for one of two reasons.

1) He believes that he can make more money further from another franchise.

and

2) He has a dream of bringing professional baseball to his home town.

Maybe some of 1 and some of 2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 01:19 pm:

Goldtymer's two reasons are very interesting, because there is a sense of this feeling from Schott. Even it means back stabing his own partner and Oakland native, Ken Hofman.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By frankdc on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 05:33 am:

Four words, guys. "The business of baseball."

If you owned a baseball team and could only draw 12,000-15,000 people per game, and had the chance to increase that to 30,000-40,000 per game by moving your team a few miles, wouldn't you move?

Pitchers don't come cheap, and a much better question than "Why does Schott dislike Oakland?" is, "Why the heck does Oakland almost completely ignore one of the best baseball squads ever assembled?"

I for one hope the A's make the move to the south bay, and do it ASAP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 07:04 am:

I believe the average is a bit higher, last year the A's averaged 27,365. The league average was 28,000. The A's are on pace to increase again this year. The perception of the A's attendance being poor is an illusion. 12K to 15K per game is a number you are assuming, do your homework lest you look silly.

I have also yet to see a study that can show me that the A's would have more fans attending games in a smaller metropolitan area (Like S.J.) than they currently do smack dab in the middle of the Bay Area.

Where are you from Frank, Cupertino?

There are a couple guys up in Citrus Hts that want a team too but they don't have the market either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 07:19 am:

frankdc,
four words for a good business decision:

GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 07:54 am:

How many A's games a year do you attend Frank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By frankdc on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 09:23 am:

Goldtymer, you should be a politician. The fact is, the A's are far from being an average team -- they're a great team. Just because they manage to almost match the league average for attendance evey year doesn't mean their attendance doesn't suck.

Your other claim, that SJ represents a "smaller meteropolitan area", is equally misleading. There are 4.5 million people here, and the A's franchise is well aware that at any given A's game, the majority of people sitting in the stands are FROM THE SOUTH BAY. The same happens to be true for the Giants but I won't open that can of worms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 09:51 am:

If you consider Emeryville to Fremont and out to Livermore "South Bay" then I will buy the "FROM THE SOUTH BAY" claim.

Please paste a link to whatever factual data you may have that will prove to me that the MAJORITY of the people in the stands are from the south bay.

As to your "population claim" according to the State of California, you still don't do your homework. Check out the census yourself from the states site http://www.dof.ca.gov/html/demograp/e-2.xls

The entire population as of July 2003 of Santa Clara County was 1,723,900. How the heck is that 4.5 million people?

Little old Alameda County is nearly that big (1,495,400) Contra Costa is 1,003,800 nevermind the other four counties that support the A's consistantly.

You may also notice that Santa Clara County is losing people at nearly three times the rate of any other county in the state (see Net Migration -11,332).

How would you suggest the fans get to the game?

Unless Larry Ellison is going to part with a big chunk of cash to develop the budget delayed BART extension, forget it. Mind you that extension just dips its little toe in the South Bay.

Frank, it seems you are heart over head here because none of your claims seem to be fact based.

Two tips:

1) Check out the front page of this site and see what the mission is.

2) Either do your homework up front OR use words like "I feel" so not to be making an unsubstantiated claim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 10:03 am:

you're the one sounding like a politician, throwing out false information

...the majority of people sitting in the stands are from the South Bay...

THAT is another false piece of information just like your previous attendance average...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sjathletics on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 10:14 am:

The bottom line is the city of Oakland doesn't appreciate what they have. Time to move our boys south.

Oh, and tekgraf is as ignorant as Barry Bonds for his comments about the South Bay being racist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 10:25 am:

C'mon, why don't you and your friend go post on the San Jose City funded website instead of here.

And quit instigating and spreading false information.

btw, neither Bonds nor tekgraf said the South Bay was racist. He made a generalization and has since apologized.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By frankdc on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 10:31 am:

Some related thoughts by Mark Purdy:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/8297550.htm?1c

As for BART, we here in the south bay think it's YOUR TURN to deal with the hassle of getting to A's games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 10:41 am:

I don't subscribe to the Merchy News.

And Mark Purdy is practically on Steve Schott's PR staff payroll so he has no credibility in my list of mediots to avoid reading.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By frankdc on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 10:45 am:

Lil, if you read the article you'd know what a pathetically ignorant statement you made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 11:46 am:

Here's a news flash for some of you steal-the- A's boosters because I live there and could just walk over to the yard fans.

Many here at this grassroots volunteer website DO NOT LIVE IN OAKLAND. Many of us are from the SOUTH BAY, from the Valley or the North Bay...and many of our supporters are from out of state and even from overseas...
But we have one goal in mind and that is to keep the Oakland A's where they have a home since 1968, have won 4 World Titles and most of all have a geographic and demographic combination which any MLB can envy, especially the Giants organization.

Some of us here live much further away from the Coli than San Jose, and yet many of us have full season tickets and support this team and feel they belong in Oakland enough to dedicate our time and money for keeping the team where they belong.

So taking Bart is really not going to change how we feel about relocation. That is only valid for those who are just thinking of their personal convenience and that to me is a mighty shallow
consideration. The Oakland A's franchise belongs at the center of the Bay Area in order to nurture the diversity of its fandom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 11:56 am:

frankdc,

Why don't you tell me why my statement is ignorant?

And no, I didn't read the article because if it was written by Purdy, as I've already told you, it lacks the journalist integrity that I consider before reading a piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By frankdc on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:14 pm:

With four World Titles you'd think a team would be able to draw more than 15,000 fans for their midweek games. Especially when said team is either in or close to first place, year after year.

For the amount of raw talent on their team, the A's are the most neglected squad in the entire American League. They're forced to play in a football stadium. Their midweek games are often so pathetically silent that the only noises heard are those of trains running behind the stadium. Half the people I know who've attended A's games won't go back because they don't wish to deal with the urban blight and rif-raf that surrounds the stadium.

THERE'S NO REASON FOR THIS NONSENSE.

The unprecedented success of SJ's Sharks was the final nail in the coffin of Oakland. SJ has proven it's ready and able not only to sustain major athletic teams, but to make them thrive and prosper. Meanwhile Oakland has become known mainly for one thing -- being the murder capital of the Bay Area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:38 pm:

Please remove the caps since THAT is considered yelling on a discussion forum.

And again you are dealing with people here who know the real facts and all the false propaganda used by those with your agenda.

Go preach to the San Jose tax payers. They refused to contribute to corporate welfare for the Giants and most likely would refuse again for the Oakland A's.

San Jose had THEIR chance to get the Giants and blew it...now they want to have a second chance? Forget it buddy. Besides, have you taken a look at their budget deficit? Why, they don't even have enough money to wire their City Hall building!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:49 pm:

Trivia Question of the Day:

What do these three have in common?

chicagorob
kcray
frankdc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 01:03 pm:

People, don't fall for the "frankdc" bait.
He's dying for a reaction so not giving it to him is winning! He's the same guy that used to come in here and the old sfgate forums purely to try to piss people off.

THIS LOSER ISN'T WORTH IT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 01:40 pm:

Sounds like someone who is a "travel" fan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 01:50 pm:

"The unprecedented success of SJ's Sharks was the final nail in the coffin of Oakland."

Just thought I'd point out that the Sharks were 18th in the NHL in attendance. Nothing spectacular.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 01:51 pm:

To SJathletics.

"Their midweek games are often so pathetically silent that the only noises heard are those of trains running behind the stadium. Half the people I know who've attended A's games won't go back because they don't wish to deal with the urban blight and rif-raf that surrounds the stadium.

The unprecedented success of SJ's Sharks was the final nail in the coffin of Oakland. SJ has proven it's ready and able not only to sustain major athletic teams, but to make them thrive and prosper. Meanwhile Oakland has become known mainly for one thing -- being the murder capital of the Bay Area."

Who the HELL is being ignorant now!

I apologized to everyone here that counts, about some generalized comments I made earlier. I also pointed out that I was making a point. But I will not apologize again epecially to some idiot from San Jose. So I don't need your fucking, stupid remarks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 01:54 pm:

Funny, I've never had to "deal with" urban blight and riff-raff. SJA, do your friends walk to the stadium??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sjathletics on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 02:30 pm:

LOL!! You guys can't even attribute the correct comments to the correct poster. That means you eyleenn and tekgraf.

But since you asked eyleenn, I do the 880 crawl to the concrete slabs known as the Coliseum and Arena. I for one would much rather see our A's playing in a ballpark which they deserve.

Tekgraf, you just further proved my point about your ignorance. Attach the correct poster to their words before calling someone an idiot and using profane language in your posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 02:33 pm:

Sorry. The original comment was made by frankdc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 02:34 pm:

Trivia Question of the Day:

What do these three have in common?

chicagorob
kcray
frankdc

They all dream of writing for Conned Nasty Travel magazine? I believe they're friends with NewarkNeville, Buffaloben and PetePittsburg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 02:36 pm:

Well, I think this thread has run its course.

Off to archive itn goes...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 02:37 pm:

Lovely...

Didn't take too long for this to get ugly.

I believe that I can remain civil (just barely).

Frankdc,

I appreciate your desire to have a successful team in your back yard.

You may recall that I request that you link us to some data that might prove your statements, you instead linked me to the opinion of a fish wrap hack. Opinion...like...everybody has one.

I am looking for facts and data (which I am all for) because the study of demographics is a large part of what I do for a living, I can smell bullshit spin a mile away.

BTW, you may notice that you claimed San Jose has 4.5 million or so people yet the article you directed me to (a south bay paper no less) said the whole Bay Area is about 5 million.

Who is lying, you, the writer of the story or the Census?

To be fair, frankdc, if you want the A's in SJ, that is your right. There is also no rule on the OAFC website that says "No SJ fans allowed!". I believe that you must be looking for a fight to post here though considering what this site is dedicated to.

Mostly, I just wish you would either state that something is your opinion or link us to the facts that support your view.

I believe that much is fair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sjathletics on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 02:39 pm:

Thank you eyleenn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 02:46 pm:

goodbye to this one.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.