Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

More Miller Park problems in Milwaukee

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: More Miller Park problems in Milwaukee
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 12:19 pm:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/mpark/jul04/242078.asp

Highlights:
"A failed bearing recently was replaced in a roof-moving device called a bogey at Miller Park stadium. If the 19 other bearings or the 10 bogies must be replaced, the cost could hit $8 million."

and

"The new disclosure raises the stakes of the ongoing legal dispute between the stadium district and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries of America, the Japanese conglomerate that built the roof.

In January 2002, the district filed a claim against Mitsubishi, alleging mismanagement and negligence in the construction of the roof. To date, the district is seeking at least $44 million in damages.

Mitsubishi filed a counter claim, arguing that construction of the roof cost the company $133 million, $87 million more than the initial $46 million deal.

The dispute is now in Milwaukee County Circuit Court, and a trial has been scheduled for January 2005."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bparkjamo on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 02:17 pm:

No real surprise to me.
The roof design was complex to begin with,and the stresses on the bogies was going to be such that wheel bearings would wear out sooner than they should.
Safeco's roof design is simple, so the wheels will last longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavy4ever on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:09 am:

I would assume that these types of arising issues would have been calculated before the built the stadium. I mean, you can't just build the park and assume nothing is going to go wrong. It's basic risk management...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 10:58 pm:

the problems with these modern parks and all the gadgets is they are like modern cars, its not just the cost of the cars its the expense of fixing them and they cost tons to fix.

the colisium is very easy to maintain but the seattles and miwaukees and toronto's are going to cost tax payers millions to keep there big roofs going.

it will probably get to the point of getting like Montreal where they just leave the dam thing open all the time becuase of no $$$ to spend on fixing them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 12:08 am:

Wondered always why the Brewers needed a roof on their park.

I can understand Seattle with all the rain they get but Milwaukee? I don't think they get weather problems during baseball season like there is with Safeco guarding off the rain or the BOB or MMF with the heat the teams play in during the summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By billymac on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 12:38 am:

Def the ugliest new park. I feel bad for the fans, they deserve better than a glorified warehouse.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.