Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Matier and Ross got a plant to grow

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Matier and Ross got a plant to grow
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:25 am:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/07/11/MANDR.TMP

Play ball: It was only a three-paragraph announcement -- but for baseball watchers it was like a grenade going off.

Oakland A's owners Steve Schott and Ken Hofmann said this past week that the team's multimillionaire vice president, Lewis Wolff, had been "granted a one-year option to purchase a controlling interest" in the club if he finds a site for a new stadium.

"It was one gigantic advertisement to potential investors and municipalities around the Bay Area -- or elsewhere, for that matter -- who might be willing to put up money or provide land for a deal,'' said one Major League Baseball insider.

The second message: Wolff is now the heir apparent to become majority owner of the A's, and when you negotiate with Wolff you're making a deal with the team.

Incidentally, those who know Wolff -- who made a fortune investing in hotel real estate deals and as a former minority owner of the Golden State Warriors -- describe him as a savvy and low-key investor who'd be more interested in turning a profit than running a pro baseball team day to day, a la the ego-driven George Steinbrenner.

I'm not so sure I agree with the comparison to King George. Sure he is ego-driven, but there's no other owner who wants to win more than Steinbrenner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:37 am:

I agree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:45 am:

I had to read that last paragraph again to realize that the writer was not really making a comparison to Steinbrenner but actually pointed out Wolff is not like him.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.