Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A Question for Oakland residents about Uptown

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A Question for Oakland residents about Uptown
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bparkjamo on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 03:32 pm:

I,like probably everyone else with OAFC,think that the Uptown site would be a great place for a ballpark. I know that the city council is supposed to vote for final approval of the Forrest City deal in the next week or so. I'm just curious to know how many of You who are Oakland residents have questioned the city council about this "deal".I have no doubt that a lot of You have. Just putting the ballpark issue aside for a moment,this Forrest City deal is nothing short of robbery. 60.8 million dollars given up by the city of oakland for a project with tooooo many maybes,and no guarentees. I read the stories in the Trib in tha last coupla weeks,and never seen the word IF so many times.
If there is to be no ballpark in Uptown, better to put in some retail/office/hotel,something that would generate some revenues for Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 03:52 pm:

I can only speak for myself and say that I attended numerous city council meetings when the ballpark and Forrest City were being discussed, and in fact had an article published regarding Forrest City. You are correct that it is a complete rip-off, but at some point we cut our losses to focus elsewhere, because it is clear that Jerry Brown is using every ounce of his political power to make this deal happen. The fact that we sold Preservation Park for a pittance just to fund Forrest City infuriates me. So yes, I am one Oakland resident that has vehemently opposed it, but not so much recently as when the whole debacle was developing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 04:21 pm:

Whoa!

Sold preservation park?

To whom?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 04:47 pm:

It makes no since to use public funds to subsidize a market rate housing project, developed by an out of state private company. Especially in a region where housing costs continue to rise through the roof, this isnt Detroit where inner city housing prices have stagnated. Its just a bad investment, spend the money on something thats going to spur some type of development, and keep the devlopers local that way you keep the wealth in your community not ship it off to Cleveland Ohio where Forrest City hails. This is a civic rip-off of the worst degree, Forrest Cities will make the profit while Oakland foots a large part of the bill. Even if you dont agree with the ballpark concept, it makes better sense to develop something that will spur retail development, that way you can improve the sales tax base. This is the Mayor's pet project and when it flops he will be out of office, hopefully not our Attorney General. I thought Brown was smarter than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 04:56 pm:

Gold - I'm sorry to say I forget exactly who bought Preservation Park . . . I seem to remember it was a Japanese company but I could be completely wrong on that. I do know that I was shocked at how little it sold for - something like $6M?

I searched the Tribune but don't feel like paying to get into their archives! It happened a couple of months ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 07:44 pm:

Hey Goldtymer, I hunted down the info and Preservation Park was sold in February 2004 to the East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation for $6.5 million. So my memory wasn't too bad.

Even though the buyer sounds like a good organization, I still think it was a mistake on the part of the city to sell it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 12:31 am:

I watched the city council meeting last Tuesday and on the topic of the forrest city plan, there was this man who was a pro in architecture or retail business, don't know what really he was, but he said that downtown Oakland doesn't feel like it's working correctly.

He pointed out that there are two distinct downtown areas, the city center downtown with the federal buildings, 555 city center, clorox building and etc; and the other downtown area was located near lake merritt where the Kaiser and Ordaway buildings are and in between them is the uptown area. He thinks it would be a mistake to put a huge housing project in between the two areas and it wouldn't make sense and the best idea was to put a huge retail/entertainment district to go along with some housing there. In A's fans opinions, a park there.

Then he thought that broadway auto mall should be moved to the colisuem area where there is already a lexus retailer there and a few other car dealers and the forrest city plan should be placed where the automall is now.

Would make sense to me because I always wondered why you take a great part of the area near downtown and dozens of car retailers there. That place would be perfect for housing like the forrest city plan.

The uptown area should be able to connect the center city downtown to the lake merritt downtown and putting a huge entertainment/retail area would be the perfect place. You could have two areas of downtown that brings in the good number of workers to the city and have them converge in that area before, during, and after work. Putting 1000+ housing units with a few retail shops won't revitalize downtown Oakland the way it needs to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bparkjamo on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 08:33 am:

Thank You for the great responses.
Hopefully some,if not all, of You attend the Council meeting when they finally approve the Forrest City "deal". someone should ask each councilperson that WHEN this project goes bad,would they have the guts to admit they screwed up. Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 12:59 am:

bparkjamo, if this project goes through; the person mainly responsible for it is Jerry Brown and he'll be long gone when it's finally finished. He'll be somewhere in Sacto, probably as the attorney genreal because that's the rumor being thrown about.

I don't even think it matters what the public has to say, it'll take something huge for this project not to be completed.

Regarding the council members admitting if they were wrong, where are all those officials responsible for the Raiders fiasco. Where are they now when we tax payers have to pony up the 100+ million for the reconstruction of the net.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 04:24 am:

Jerry Brown was on the Pete Wilson show on KGO on Tuesday afternoon. When Pete asked him about the restoration of the FOX theatre, Jerry went into a diatribe about the development of housing and then threw out some mind bogling numbers for the cost in turning the FOX into a full caberet theatre. I personally feel that having a ballpark next to the theatre would be the only way it would work. If a ballpark were to be built, then other buisnesses of entertainment and resturaunts would be built turning the neighborhood into an attraction. A safe, well taxed, attraction. Without a ballpark the FOX would probably do ok to begin with. But my hunch is with the cost, and the neighborhood's inability to give people variety before and after a show, the theatre would revert back to being a wonderful piece of nostalgia that is seldom used. I think Jerry Brown is a brilliant man and I know his intentions are good. In my shallow oppinion he's missing the boat in revitalizing a whole downtown area that would have national exposure. I don't think the city of Oakland should do the heavy lifting in financing the project, but at least be proactive in finding someone to do so. ie Lewis Wollf, someone who made his fortune building hotels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 07:18 am:

jenmed, thank you for the info. In my mind, preservation park was worth more.

I used to got here for lunch 2-3 times per week (the little Brazilian place at the end of the court.).

What a bummer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 07:27 am:

hey GT, did they ever serve 'feijoada' in that little Brazilian place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:32 am:

bparkjamo...

And the rest..

I am a Oakland resident too..

Yeah it would be nice to have the park in the uptown location, but alas that won't happen.

I asked a Oakland resident not long ago about his feelings on building a new ball park in Oakland.. did not give a location, but said somewhere within the city limits. His response was a bit on the hostile side. He swore he would protest against it. His reasons where that of the whole Al Davis/Raiders back to Oakland crap that went down. Understandably that is very hot button in Oakland because all of us in the city and in Alameda county got screwed BIG.

As a resident and a fan of the A's, yes I would support the uptown plan. The legacy to me is to precious to just let it slip out of town and leave us loyal with nothing!

Just my thoughts...

Oh.. and the best part, I can walk to the ball park if it located in the Uptown location!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:52 pm:

Lil,

I really don't remember the names of the foods (it's been a few years since I worked in the City Center) I do remember good food though. I used to enjoy the Oaktown Cafe, the Farmers Market (Wednesdays), The English place off 8th and being so close to Chinatown.

Food is a recurring theme for me you will notice.

Because I do not live there currently, you who do, owe it to yourselves (and me) to get a Dagwood sandwich from Mama's Royal Cafe...it is as near a life altering experience as a sandwich can be.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.