Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Laney site revisited?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Laney site revisited?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 11:18 am:

from today's (July 13) Chronicle:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/07/13/BAGK47KGU21.DTL

The A's plan may be resurrected. Last week, the club announced that it is seeking a new home in an "urban setting," and Laney's fields will be on the short list of Oakland sites considered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 02:44 pm:

"I was walking there at lunch one day; I saw a guy sitting with a propeller-like device,'' Heyman said, referring to an A's fan and engineer who was informally surveying the site. "He was sitting there doing wind studies to decide where to put home plate for the A's new stadium."

Larry Jackson, is that you?

But seriously, as great a ballpark location as that would be, if it came to a choice between Children's Hospital and the A's, there would be no choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 02:55 pm:

"if it came to a choice between Children's Hospital and the A's, there would be no choice.

And that choice is????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 04:43 pm:

In read the post without reading who posted an knew that was an original Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 04:55 pm:

see gt...you're halfway to getting your recognition wings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 11:23 pm:

I wouldn't mind having a new park built near Laney College.

The bart station is just a few mintues away, the freeway and AC transit is close nearby so the transportation to the park would be perfect. Maybe even better than it would be if it were at the uptown site.

Don't see it happening though because the public uproar between a new park and a hospital fighting over the same spot; the uproar it would cause.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 01:08 am:

"I understand that hospitals are very important,'' said student John Ros, who was reading at a bench Friday. "But Oakland needs more green spaces. Maybe if we had more green spaces to relax, we wouldn't need as many hospitals."

The kid's got a point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jayho on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 07:18 am:

the wisest wisdom comes from the young.

Look at St. Paul. They went all out and built parks and amentities in the 70's whereas Detriot hired cops...how do the two cities compare now?

Cops don't fix a city, better schools and improving a city environment DO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 09:28 am:

I have been hoping they would revisit the Laney College plan. I always thought this was an excellent location and very well thought out by Larry Jackson and others.

jayho, I totally agree. Get to the root rather than applying more band-aids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:19 am:

I have a pro and a con about the Laney Location:

Pro - I could walk to the game!

Con - Parking would piss off the residents something fierce! (I don't care cause I would walking to the ball park)

But like Jerry... I am curious of what the choice really is?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.