Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Words from the commish...

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Words from the commish...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 08:07 am:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar04/news/story?id=1839276

That while he isn't ready to authorize teams like the Marlins or A's to actively consider relocation if they don't get new ballparks, the cities that don't wind up landing the Expos should remember that "there may be other situations in the future" that enable them to attract a team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 09:37 am:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2004/07/14/SPGB27L6C21.DTL

Selig: No 'A' in South Bay

Houston -- If the Montreal Expos move to Washington, D.C. or Northern Virginia next season, the A's shouldn't consider it a steppingstone for them to relocate to the South Bay, Commissioner Bud Selig said Monday.

"No link at all," Selig said. "Oakland's got to solve its own problem."

Selig, addressing the Baseball Writers Association of America at a meeting before Tuesday's All-Star Game, said the A's ought to focus on building a new ballpark in the East Bay rather than considering treading into areas where the Giants own territorial rights.

Selig mentioned the A's and Marlins as teams most in need of new ballparks.

"They've got a lot of work to do," Selig said of the A's.

An announcement on the Expos' future is expected by mid-August, perhaps during the next owners' meetings, and Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia remain the finalists, though both are in the Baltimore Orioles' backyard. Orioles owner Peter Angelos, like Giants owner Peter Magowan, vowed to fight against another team relocating to his area.

One of Selig's guests at Tuesday's game was Lew Wolff, the A's vice president of venue development. When Wolff was informed of Selig's comments about the A's, he said, "That's correct. The next step for us is to be a little more focused on a specific area in the East Bay while judging other options."

Wolff, who was hired in November to find a new site for the A's, said he needs another 30 to 60 days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 09:52 am:

Antoher Selig comment from the espn.com article linked above:

"... contraction of two teams is no longer being considered because the new labor deal has produced more revenue sharing, more competitive balance and has "worked so well, it's ameliorated the need for contraction."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lightfoot on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 11:06 am:

"They've got a lot of work to do," Selig said of the A's.

That is such a pompous statement. I really wish I could go up to him, and tell him that if he cares so much, he can pay for the stadium himself.

The A's are doing their work... getting into the postseason. More than his beloved Brewers. Just reading anything that guy says makes me angry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rono on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 04:34 pm:

Bud has promised that contraction will come up again as soon as we round up all the WMD in Iraq. What a joke contraction is!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 05:06 pm:

If any team should have been included in the "contraction" discussion, it was Butt's team. How pathetic have they been over the past umpteen years??? When was the last time the Brewers were in the playoffs????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 02:08 am:

Over the past decade teams being mentioned for contraction: the A's, Twins, Marlins, and Angels.

If Selig and his cronies had it their way, we had two world championship teams take away from the league and four teams in total that have been to the postseason 8 times since the 2000 season.

Who are these clowns in the mlb offices and heaven forbid if they're still there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 09:22 am:

"Oakland's got to solve its own problem" . . . hey Bud, just what is Oakland's problem? The A's have made the playoffs for four straight years, have a great farm system, loyal fans, and an owner that makes money year in and year out. The imbalace in revenues has been a part of baseball from its beginnings and will continue to be.

Attendance is average, which isn't a bad thing (regardless of how many MLB teams there are and where ever they may be located, some teams will have average attendance and some will have below average attendance, duh!). A new park may increase attendance in the short run, but I'm not sure the increase in revenues would offset the higher costs in the long run.

As Al Davis learned a few years ago, you can't continue to take more and more money out of the customers pockets without some repercussions in attendance. Sure it would be nice someday to have a new baseball park in Oakland. But it is NOT the critical need that Selig has so dramatically played up to media.

I'll gladly put up with Mt. Davis as a backdrop rather than get fleeced for a seat license, and higher ticket, concession and parking costs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 08:01 am:

Bud Selig Plotting to Blow Up Oakland A's Stadium

http://www.sportsgoons.com/Vol2_Iss17/bud_selig_plotting.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lightfoot on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 10:17 pm:

Selig is such a jerk. Talk about arrogant. "Oakland's got to solve its own problem." Ugh! HE'S the problem. I think leaving open the comment that other teams could be available in the future to placate other cities is absolutely disgusting, the man needs to just decide on a damn city for the Expos. There's five or six other teams that need to solve their problems more quickly than the A's, and the Brewers top that list. I really don't know what kind of magical world Selig lives in, a world of fairies and pixie dust and super special stadiums growing from trees.

I don't know how owners could think there is any excuse for the pathetic, poor treatment he gives to some solid franchises, while he practically throws his wholehearted support at others.

The A's could start getting some cash for the new stadium by selling 'Contract Selig' bumper stickers at the A's store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 08:32 am:

How about

'Relocate Selig'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 10:40 am:

I think if the Expos move to the DC area, it sets a legal precedent; if the A's wanted to move into the South Bay, which is only 50 miles from their current location, it's a bit different from the Expos moving *1,000* miles south to be next to another team, in another league (the Orioles). Honestly, if the A's wanted to move there, and the Expos move first, if the A's sued the league over it, they would win. I'm no legal expert but I have several freinds and a brother in law school for business law and that's what they think, at least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 11:11 am:

RFF,

The territorial rights discussed over the Expos move to DC (they can move because the O's are a AL team and Expos is NL) has NOTHING to do with the South Bay rights given to the Giants by MLB.

The South Bay territory was awarded to the Giants (by contract with MLB) when SELIG put together the private investment group, headed by Peter Magowan, to finance the ballpark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 03:32 pm:

As a service to A's fans everywhere, I will now translate Mr. Selig's statement.

"...and your little dog too! AH hahahahahaha"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 04:29 pm:

Lil, I didn't know that. Thanks. Well I guess in a way it's good because I really want to the A's to stay in Oakland. I just wish some Bay Area companies would pony up the money for it - I mean come on - look at some of these guys. Like Ellison who owns Oracle - he could buy the a's for peanuts to him and build a beautiful park, and with it a lasting legacy for himself. Oracle Park - sounds alright to me. Maybe he's just not a baseball fan?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 06:45 pm:

Ellison is a Giants fan. I brought this subject up a long while ago and it's pretty obvious that he wouldn't be interested in buying the A's. I read that the Haas family were "Giant fans" and still bought the A's, but I just don't see that happening here, new era here in the bay. The Giants are the premier team around here no matter what we A's fans think. They got the park and that's all that matters now until the A's get a new park of their own.

If he wanted to buy a team, he would invest in the Giants. You happen to see that orange/black is the color of the Oracle logo right? Conincidence? I think not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 10:12 am:

No, Oracle has always been red letters on white.

http://www.oracle.com/index.html

I worked with an Oracle partner selling 11i upgrades and App Developers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 03:28 pm:

Well, no matter what the logo colors are, I highly doubt that Ellison would buy the A's.

He's a good friend of McGowen and the Giants brass as he has season tickets so I don't think he'll want to hurt the team he is a fan of and the friends he has who runs the team.

There was supposed to be a south bay buyer who was interested in buying part of the A's and was also interested at the uptown site for a new park but that story seems to have been false since we haven't heard a thing since it was released last fall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By peanut_gallery on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 03:45 pm:

I don't know about his personal relationship with McGowan or who his favorite team is, but Oracle is a major promotional partner of the Giants. They bought an advertising package that gives them naming rights to some concourse in Pac Bell, tickets (possibly a luxury box, but I'm not sure about that), access to the stadium for events, etc. Given this, I don't think Ellison will be buying the A's anytime soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 04:24 pm:

"ameliorated"

I didn't think Selig knew such a big word! And how to use it in a sentence as well. Wow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 10:06 pm:

No doubt someone else wrote the statement for him.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.