Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Boston A's Fan Here....

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Boston A's Fan Here....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By trotnixon7 on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:38 am:

I've been following the A's for a few years now, and have to admit, it pains me to see them lose to my Red Sox. But enough about Boston, you can't turn around here without bumping into a Red Sox fan. That's why I joined this board, because it's nice to talk about my other favorite team, too! Go Oakland!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 08:46 am:

welcome...I guess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:55 pm:

Hey Trot.

As I believe I mentioned, I was an A's fan (from Oakland) living in the South Shore for a few years. Where around Boston are you from?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By trotnixon7 on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 04:27 am:

I am from the metrowest area of Boston. The Stow/Maynard/Acton area. There's nothing but golf courses and apple orchards there. I've lived in Mass. my whole life...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 08:21 am:

I have only been thru the area (pretty though as I remember) I lived on the south shore and worked either in Boston (around Lansdown), Randolph (Vincent's) or on the Cape (Guido's).

I was on a nightclub tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 11:15 am:

You must sicken Boston fans!!! All I ask is that if you jump on this ship...you sail all the way with it no matter what. If you can do that...this franchise will be happy to have your Benedict Arnold A$$. Remember. Oakland baseball is pure. It fields players that love the game without being in the spotlight. Its the best thing going in baseball. CANT WAIT FOR A NEW STADIUM!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By trotnixon7 on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 11:40 am:

Actually, most Boston fans have a "backup" team, being the fact that we are Boston fans and you know what Boston does every September...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 12:58 pm:

I guess that we have gone around 15 years without a WS title. Boston has gone what, 86 years?

I am not prepared to swear in a court of law that I wouldn't have a second fav team if I were a Boston fan.

Sox fans have been born and died old men/women without knowing the feeling of a WS champ in Boston.

I have no frame of reference to judge this guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownpat on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 05:16 pm:

I guess this is as good a time as any to make my first post (albeit pretty useless).

I want to brag about my buddy for a minute. He is an Oakland-native who was living in Boston for the past several years until recently. He had worked his way up the ladder to be a bartender at the "Cask n' Flagon" which happens to be right behind the Green Monster and is known for being THE spot for pre, post, during, off-season, etc. Red Sox festivities.

I was so proud of him during the playoffs last year when he was sporting his Oakland A's gear behind the bar. Way to represent! I often think of this story when I see Red Sox paraphernalia floating around here (and I've obviously lost count of how often that happens).

Anyhow, its nice to have you aboard trot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 11:15 pm:

Pat, The thing is that your friend was more than likely shown respect by the Sox fans, maybe some good natured razzing but otherwise respect. I was always treated well when I wore my gear in Fenway. ither folks told me we had a real good team or people would talk about the playoffs from the 80's or maybe they razzed a little but I have no negative comments for the chowds where team recognition is concerned.

It is silly not to recognize and respect a fans faithfulness.

Sometimes people complain about too many Yank or Sox fans in the crowd in Oakland, bring them on, pay for parking, concessions, tickets..heck how about some patronage for our local businesses? Perhaps a little more revenue would be nice.

If we always had the level of crowd we get for Yank's or Sox series, we could afford to keep the triplets.

Besides.........

A rival fan (who isn't acting arrogant) deserves a little credit for not being a wuss. I would compliment him and remark on the upside of his team.

I digress..............

Welcome Oaktown Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownpat on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 04:04 pm:

Well, since you asked (kind of) . . .

He actually got a ton of flack from the crowd there. But only one patron had to be kicked-out as a result. So more or less, the folks were respectful. Itís kind of like the respect that is supposedly shown to the "daring" visitors who wear an opposing jersey in the black hole.

Of course, simply because we have so many Boston-area natives who live in the Bay Area and who wear their pride on their chest is no reason to hate them. Itís both natural for them and acceptable for us, especially since they tend to be respectful fans (as you said). None the less, itís awesome to know that our fan base, as small as it supposedly is, can represent in such a big way once in a while.

Thanks for the welcoming! Cheers . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 03:47 pm:

Welcome,trot! I understand that should the Sox ever win a world championship, that the death rate in New England will soar. This is because so many have sworn that they will not die until they see the Sox win the Series.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By trotnixon7 on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:20 pm:

That is very true, ballparkfrank. i fear that my 80 year old grandfather may never see them win a world series...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:33 pm:

That has to suck.

I do think it adds mystique and personality to the team though.

Good baseball lore..

Harry Frazee musrt be rotting in hell for whta he did

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 09:37 pm:

Hi Trot, I have a lot of Chicago Cubs friends ---How would you compare the Sox fans to the Cubby fans? Any thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By trotnixon7 on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 07:34 am:

Hey Oakchick-

I don't know many cubs fans, but I would guess we'd have a lot in common given our world series droughts. Boston fans have very high expectations every year, and we support our team day in and day out. It's impossible to get tickets to games unless you have season tickets (fortunately, I do), every game is packed. But when the sox play poorly, we let them know it. From what I've seen, that's the impression I get of the cubs fans. And now we have a little more in common, with Nomar in Chicago, I guess.

It's a shame that more people don't go to the A's games. Oakland's such a good team. If I lived in the bay area, I'd go to almost every game. I went to the ALDS games 1&2 last year, and I couldn't believe those weren't even sold out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 06:38 pm:

Trotnixon,

I've seen your posts before and I've always appreciated your open and support re: the A's, especially since your most favorite team knocks heads against Oakland in big games from time to time, and also since the Red Sox don't get a lot of favorable opinions written about them around here.

But re: Oakland attendance ... actually, the A's sold out two of the three Oakland home games in last year's ALDS. They sold out Game 1 in last year's ALDS, drawing 50,606. The Coliseum's listed baseball capacity is 43,000 and change -- admittedly a little goofy since it can obviously hold a bit more than that. Still, Oakland also sold out Game 5 in the ALDS, drawing 49,397. Even with the mid-day start of Game 2, where the A's drew 36,305, the A's averaged 45,436 per game in the ALDS.

Which means they averaged a sellout for the series. Or about 3,000 more per game than SBC can hold, and about 10,000 more per game than Fenway can hold with a sellout. Oakland attendance is just fine, especially given the fact that ownership has been blatantly talking of moving the team for 9 years, constantly badmouth the Coliseum, have let every fan favorite not named Eric Chavez go to other teams and were even all too willing to let Billy Beane go to Boston. Thank God he stayed (no offense).

Attendance has increased each season for the past five years and they're on pace to draw more than 2.1 million for the fourth consecutive season. Just think what those numbers would be if Oakland had a John Henry/Larry Lucchino type ownership.

Speaking of Henry and Lucchino, I recommend you and everyone else should buy the great Steve Kettmann book, "One Day at Fenway", which details how much work those new owners have done to reach out to Boston fans to improve Fenway's atmosphere both inside and outside the ballpark and to be as customer friendly as possible. In the book, Lucchino actually answers fans' emails sent to him, and in one case, he personally meet swith a fan in the Fenway restaurant to apologize to the fan re: a rude waiter about which the fan complained to him. It's impressive. I was green with envy. (pun intended)

Ownership savvy trumps market size, in my opinion.

Good luck in the pennant race. I hope you catch the Yankees.

2003 attendance link:
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=mlb/teams/037/attendance.aspx?team=037

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By trotnixon7 on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:12 am:

Well that's good to hear.

I guess I'm just used to being a fan of a team that's impossible to get tickets for their games. The only reason I was able to see playoff games in Boston last year, was because I have season tickets. And fortunately, I was already planning a trip to CA when the sox were scheduled to play the A's, and I couldn't believe I could buy (decent) tickets well after they had gone on sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:32 am:

The ballbark in Boston accomodates approximately half the fans with the Coli having 60K seats for sale. Up to last year, the capacity in Boston was something like 35K.

And the A's block and do not sell their "decent" seats until they sell their 'indecent' seats to fans eager to buy tickets. They cater to the walk up crowds and offer their partial s.t. holders seats in much worse locations.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.