Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

What type of ballpark would work at the Coli site?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: What type of ballpark would work at the Coli site?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 01:33 pm:

I would say maybe one similar to Cincinnati's new ballpark, or like St. Louis's new ballpark that opens in 2006. One like SBC would fit or look right at the Coli parking lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 01:34 pm:

I Mean one like SBC Would NOT fit or look right at the Coli.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bparkjamo on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 03:30 pm:

One that belongs to Oakland would fit nicely in the north parking lot.
I don't like St. Louis's new park design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:55 pm:

What about parking? I assume they will keep the Coliseum (for football). Would most everyone have to park in the south lot and walk around the Coliseum to get to the Baseball park? Sounds like quite a hike for $15 (or more) parking.

Perhaps the South lot would be a better location since it has more area to expand into the dirt lots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 08:15 pm:

I would like to see a park with a good mix of high tech and old school. Maybe wood bleachers in the outfield that creak and sway a bit; a "total info" out of town scoreboard like in Cleveland; touchscreen order menus at each seat to order concessions; absolutely no dot racing or cap capers; wifi with a local intranet instant game stat page; and, of course, a mechanical rabbit to deliver balls to the home plate umpire. No ball dudes . . . ball babes instead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 08:48 pm:

want massaging seats while you are at it?

:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:47 pm:

I want bleachers again.

If they build it in the parking lot, I'll take a replica of Turner Field.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:50 pm:

oaktown, that was my first thought, also. Got to have bleachers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 09:40 pm:

Gotta have bleachers!
I will personally come up to Oakland and start a riot if they are not discussing bleachers in a new stadium.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:15 pm:

I miss my bleachers.

I spent nearly every day game in those bleachers in tyhe late 80's /early 90's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:36 pm:

Oaktown fan,

A replica of Turner Field may be your choice for the Coli site but I've been to Turner Fild before and there is NO bleachers anywhere in the park. Everything is seats just like at the Net.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:05 am:

oaklandfasho510, I know Turner has seats, I'm saying get a replica of Turner Field and replace the seats they have in the outfield with benches.

I never sat anywhere else in the coliseum before Mt Davis was built other than the bleachers. I miss them and wish any park the A's help build in the future has them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:51 am:

Oh ok Oaktownfan, I understand ya and I do agree that a replica Turner Field would be great! Or a replica of Cincinnati or St. Louis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bparkjamo on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 08:13 am:

Turner field is pretty good,I've been there and know the architects.
I do miss the bleachers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 03:51 pm:

Cincy didn't do it right when you think of the overall design of the park.

From the outside, the facade is ugly and the interior of the park from the park reviews I see online aren't the most positive. From the times I see of GAPB, it doesn't compare to Petco, PNC, or the other newer parks built the past five or so years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 07:17 pm:

I grew up in the old coli bleachers durring the 70's and 80's and vowed never to sit in Mt Davis. So far I have been succesful. To refer to what exist now as bleachers is sacralige. A return of real wood bleachers would make me so very happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rono on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:02 pm:

The bleachers will never pay for a new stadium. I hope they charge a $ 100 a ticket to sit there and that all the nostalgists will buy season tickets there. I sat there many times in the 1960's and 1970's when I could afford nothing better. There weren't many people out there except for the playoffs and World series and Hot Pants Day. When they finish the new stadium and they have the 7th ining stretch look to the equivalent of Section 120 . I will be the one thumbing my nose to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:33 pm:

Used to get the $5.00 bleacher tix sometimes, sometimes excellent walk up or third paty tix.

I liked the bleachers, they had spirit.

Remember the rumble we used to be able to create my stomping our feet in the bleachers...

Like a great thunder!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownpat on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:02 am:

That happens to be one of my first Coliseum memories. I was about 8 years old and I started a "rumble." I'll never forget it.

But I think rono has a valid point about the finances. Bummer.

Long live Henduland!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownpat on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:15 am:

Hey, here's a ridiculous idea - put in regular old seats out there, but add the old steel(?) floor so we can get that bleacher sound again. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 01:48 am:

Don't talk about "rumbles" in Oakland!

Finleyshero might get the wrong idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 09:55 am:

Well written, chrishorvath!

Did he disappear into another site?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:21 pm:

Just make sure there is a big parking lot, so I don't have to ride public transit with all the rif raf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bparkjamo on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 04:19 pm:

how about a ballpark with all steel seating decks?
I'm leaning toward that in My design.
Denver broncos(PUKE) new stadium has jus that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:43 pm:

I personally do not care for the frills, so long as we have an INDUSTRIAL amount of foul territory, and all the other features make a pitcher's park. (eg wind blowing in)

This team is built on pitching, and should remain that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:00 pm:

finleyshero, thats funny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:13 am:

I also think we need to have extra high bullpen mounds right next to the foul lines in order to piss off Buck Showalter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 09:32 am:

Well, Showalter must be thrilled not to be managing in the NL, anymore, not having to go to SBC, with their bullpens. Are they the only new park in the country without fully enclosed pens off the field? Somebody sure screwed up there.

But having said that, I think it kind of takes away from the game ... not having the ambience of guys warming up down the lines, up close and personal to the fans. And I think the relievers are more into the game, as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 01:22 pm:

Seems to me I heard that they almost completely forgot to plan for bullpens at PBP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:38 pm:

I think Petco doesn't have bullpens in the play area too.

I think having no bullpens behind the outfield walls is a good thing, more space for bleachers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 05:28 pm:

I just think it is neat to have pitchers warming up next to the stands and the fans. I suppose some of the relievers may not think so, but just the same, they often seem to be enjoying themselves in that environment. Gotta be more exciting that sitting behind a fence in the outer reaches of the outfield and only one another to talk to.

I mean look how much fun it is for our ball boys to protect the players down there. :) And look how much fun it was a couple years ago when Mabry's game winning double got hung up behind the heater in the pen. I still have a tape of that game ... I thought that was one of their best of the many exciting finishes, that season, with Dye chugging it all the way around from first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By me_94501 on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 12:13 am:

Just give me bleachers, iceplant, and a view of the Oakland Hills. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:46 pm:

Well, it's about that time where the field is going to be in horrible condition when the Raiders play their first exhibition game. The awful looking grass in the outfield and the weird bounces the ball will take when it hits it.

Just another reason why the A's need their own field.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 11:49 am:

South lot with homeplate facing the Oakland hills. Put it parallel to the Coliseum, I think right field you would get a view of that overpass and left field, the BART bridge. Judging by the map, I would push it as far away as possible from Lot B, maybe create some nooks and crannies while you're at it. Definitely, foul territory is a must, on the field bull pens and wood bleachers.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/oak/ballpark/parking.jsp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bparkjamo on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 05:30 pm:

I'll be at saturday's game,don't know where I'm sitting yet.
I may have enough of my design done then to give one an idea of what can be done. I am designing the park to fit next to the Net on the north lot,to better take advantage of the view of the hills. it's a start.And,yes, it has bleachers. I do miss the old ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cvkevin on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 02:31 am:

Speaking of the new stadium, I haven't heard a thing
since the whole $100 million/keep it in the parking lot declaration. Does anybody know of anything new?
Are these shlong owners making moves right now to get private investments? I'm down in the OC right now, so if there was any news, it wouldn't have been reported here. Just curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 07:58 am:

Unfortunately I personally have heard nothing...
and I don't like this silence from all sides involved and/or un-involved.

But something tells me Selig is keeping the A's in the back burner waiting to see how and where the 'Spos are going...he uses teams and cities as bargaining chips...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 03:15 pm:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/0905bbinscol0905.html

Orioles, Giants not interested in sharing wealth

Sept. 5, 2004 12:00 AM
Baseball is experiencing its own turf wars and it will eventually expand past the Washington, D.C., area.

Sure, the Montreal Expos seem like a great fit to move to the nation's capital. They can stay in the National League East without causing any geographical discomfort. The placement of an NL team would give fans in that area a chance to watch baseball in person when the Baltimore Orioles are out of town - a great perk for people in a two-team market.

But such a move isn't that easy. There is a delay in making a decision that once seemed certain by the All-Star break.

Baltimore and owner Peter Angelos still lurk 40 miles to the north, and Angelos is concerned about the long-term viability of his once-storied franchise if the Expos move to the D.C. area.

Perhaps if the Orioles had retooled their roster more carefully during the late 1990s, they wouldn't be looking at a possible seventh consecutive fourth-place finish in the AL East and wouldn't feel as threatened by a move by the Expos.

One possible resolution would be to allow the Expos to move to D.C. and give Angelos the Expos' national television money for a few years (the Diamondbacks and Tampa Bay surrendered those funds for five years when they began play in 1998). And if that money can't help the Orioles change their losing ways, then it should be time for Angelos to sell the team.

Meanwhile, Oakland is examining the Expos developments closely, although Commissioner Bud Selig has often said the A's shouldn't view this as a stepping stone for the A's to move to San Jose.

The A's, owned by Bay area real estate maven Steve Schott, and the Florida Marlins are the only two major league teams to share a facility with a football team. The center field area at Network Associates Coliseum in Oakland looks worse than the practice fields in The Longest Yard, and the spacious foul territory provides a challenging view for fans.

The A's love to poke fun at the San Francisco Giants, who haven't had the same success as their Bay area rivals but bask in gorgeous SBC Park. The Giants are claiming San Jose and Santa Clara County as their territorial rights because of two failed stadium elections, and they have Selig's support. And that area would be questionable for relocating a franchise, especially because the area has recovered very slowly from the dot-com crash in 2000-01. The last thing Major League Baseball wants is to relocate a franchise to an already-saturated market.

Support for the A's moving to San Jose isn't nearly so strong in that community as it is for areas such as Norfolk, Va., Las Vegas, Mexico City, Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia vying for the Expos.

But the A's have hired luxury hotel baron Lewis Wolff, a former classmate of Selig's at the University of Wisconsin, as their vice president of venue development. The latest findings reveal the best place for a new park is the Network Associates Coliseum parking lot.

That could be a set-up for the A's to say they tried to find the best place in Oakland when their intentions are really centered on San Jose.

"Oakland has to solve its own problems," Selig said last March, words that could well be repeated today and remain accurate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bparkjamo on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 09:45 pm:

I would not expect to hear anything until after the season,after the A's take out St.Louis in six games.
Besides, I'm still working on the design,don't rush Me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:53 pm:

"That could be a set-up for the A's to say they tried to find the best place in Oakland when their intentions are really centered on San Jose."

Haven't we already figured this out?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.