Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A's Fan breaks engagement to Cubs fan

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A's Fan breaks engagement to Cubs fan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 07:19 pm:

Hey, this is oakchick. Just broke up with my Cubs fan fiancee today...I am completely heartbroken that it has come to this. I discovered that he is seeing another cubs fan behind my back...I don't know what to say...

Eyeleen, you are right ---always date a oaklandfan, no matter what.

What should I do now? This is Dodgers county (L.A.), and having devoted many years to this relationship, I feel completely isolated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 08:23 pm:

oakchick, you have my deepest sympathy. I wish I had some magical advice for you. If you moved to the Bay Area, at least you could go to A's games!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 10:15 am:

oakchick, after the heartbreak gets better, consider looking for a companion willing to be a baseball widower. That way you can share other things but your baseball will remain as your sanctuary passion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 01:26 pm:

I second diamondlil's suggestion. Baseball has become that sanctuary passion of mine, but certainly not my wife's. I can only think of one, two other passions that I have for that safe place. And we all need at least one...

Good luck! Don't worry, you wouldn't have wanted a Billy Goat curse factoring into a marriage anyway. Lord knows how messy that could have been... ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 04:29 pm:

Goodness, you are right. Imagine having to engage in a metaphysical menage trois with a miserable goat. I am feeling so much better now. Thank you guys for your advice and support, especially that part about keeping baseball a sacrosanct part of my personal universe.

Still kinda sore about Goat-boy, but life goes on, and the baseball season is still going strong.

I swear to god if not for baseball, I would have lost my marbles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 09:28 pm:

How true. Baseball is a passion, a diversion, and being at a game is like a mini-vacation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 06:23 pm:

oakchick, I went through a really bad breakup a few years ago now and the one thing that kept me going through all of it was the Oakland A's. I know it sounds kind of cheesy but going to games - most of the time just by myself - really helped me forget a lot of bad things that happened. Yes, me and that ex went to a few games together but I spent so much more time there that it kind of became my place. After joining the OAFC I found I could meet great new people as well who are A's fans. Eyleenn and Warren (25wbell) and I used to meet for dinners sometimes to talk about the A's and baseball. In fact that ex really hated baseball, I dragged her to it. So it was always sort of my refuge!!! But now I am with someone new who I introduced to baseball and she really loves the A's now. She even watches the games on TV when she's home alone. But man I could never date a Giants fan, or a Cubs or Red Sox fan, cos the A's are a part of me. One reason why I didn't go to graduate school in southern CA was b/c I didn't want to miss going to games!!! I still remember listening to Miggy get one of those game winning hits - I think it was consecutive win 18 of the streak - and thinking, you know what, being at this game, listening to Ken and Bill, living this moment .. yes, that was a tough breakup, but this means so much more to me.

Baseball is life! Sad, isn't it?

Anyway keep your chin up, you seem like a great person and if you come up to the bay area I am sure we will all take good care of you at an A's game!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 08:21 pm:

Baseball is life. All the rest is just details...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 09:33 pm:

You guys are just so great ---truly my baseball family.

I remembered breaking up on the day that the A's lost---but then they just keep winning now ever since the break up, so what can I say? Good decision all around.

Thank you so much, RFF, for sharing your experiences...I could relate so much to it, as baseball basically kept me sane for the past few days, and now that I am back on track, I was moved this morning (this might sound pathetic and nuts, but I am very traditionally Singaporean, so there...) to make an burnt offering to the baseball gods for their grace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jayho on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 10:06 am:

oakchick,

sorry to hear that news. While it hurts, it is also very good that this happened during the engagement rather then later with more entanglements. I have friends that went to the altar with skeletons knocking in their closets and it all came crashing out later resulting in even worse ugliness.

I know it's tough to take solace in something like that but once a cheat - always will be a cheat.

You D E S E R V E something much better then that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:39 am:

So the cubs lose again then?

Typical, they tried to cheat (see the Sosa corked bat).

That is why they have the trouble they do.

You on the other hand are an A's fan. Giving, doing more with less through brains & heart. Forgiving for the error because you know that it will average out for you over the length of the season.

It was never meant to be with Cub fan.

Watch some baseball, make some friends on chat and go to the mixer, errrr Skybox party up in the Bay Area on the 11th.

By then, you won't care about cub fan (which seem natural to me).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By keithofrf on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 11:28 am:

Hey, I meet the love of my life on Opening Night 2004. Here I am two years later married.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By keepureyesonthe on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 08:56 pm:

Congratulations. By dumping a Cub fan, your IQ just went up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 11:27 am:

What took so long for Naomi to re-register?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Canadian Pharmacy on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 01:12 pm:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.