Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Pride of Oakland.

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Pride of Oakland.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 10:51 am:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/special_packages/olympics/9530164.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 11:53 am:

"But we'll be bringing this gold medal back to Oakland."
-Andre Ward

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82~32815~2368436,00.html

ATHENS, Greece -- He hadn't been defeated in six years, if you don't count the incalculable loss he suffered two years ago this month when his father died.

But when Andre Ward needed Frank Ward the most, trailing 9-7 after two rounds in the Olympic light heavyweight gold-medal bout Sunday afternoon, Frank was there for his son. As he always had been.

"I believe he's looking down on me," said Ward, the 20-year-old Hayward native from Oakland. "I wish he was here ... but with all my heart and soul, I could see his face looking at me.

"I felt his spirit all through this tournament. The spirit I have in me, the determination, the dog -- that's what we call it when you bite down and you pull something (from) deep down -- I got that from my father. That's in my blood." ...

... Ward won the 102nd of 103 U.S. medals at the Athens Games, the first American to win a boxing gold since 1996 and the first Oakland athlete to capture an individual Olympic gold medal since sprinter Jim Hines in 1968. "I'm blessed," Ward said. "Basically, I'm numb right now. When you've dreamed about something so long, once you get it, it takes awhile to come off that high and to understand it.

"But we'll be bringing this gold medal back to Oakland."

And this article:
http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82~1865~2369001,00.html

Tiffiney Ward smiled adoringly at her husband's image on a colossal wide-screen television as he blew her and their two sons a kiss during a post-fight interview and sent them word: "I love you; I'm coming home with the gold like I said I would."

"I did it, Pop," Ward added, bringing tears to the eyes of April McKay and others who cherished Ward's late dad and felt the strength of the father-son bond.

"I know you are looking at me. I love you," he said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 05:28 am:

I wonder if Ware will be invited to City Hall and get a celebration as did the American Idol contestant did.

The Art and Soul Fest next weekend should be a good time to have since there will be tens of thousands there in downtown Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 05:28 am:

I wonder if Ware will be invited to City Hall and get a celebration as did the American Idol contestant did.

The Art and Soul Fest next weekend should be a good time to have since there will be tens of thousands there in downtown Oakland.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.