Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

" the net"

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: " the net"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By robbs on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:47 pm:

im tired of people saying the cliseum sucks. Honestly i think its better then a lot of stadiums including yankee stadium which is a piece of shit. Go a's we about to sweep the chi sox to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:03 pm:

The Coliseum sucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:07 pm:

The food's good though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:13 pm:

I like the Coliseum. It won't win aesthetic prizes these days, but one part of a cool ballpark is its memories, and there are so many memories there at the Coliseum. Very, very few ballparks can claim to have hosted 6 World Series, 10 ALCS series, 4 ALDS series and several AFC/AFL Championship football games. Not to mention all those Day on the Green concerts. Only the big three in baseball (Wrigley, Fenway, Yankee Stadium) and Lambeau Field and Candlestick for football have as many ghosts and memories (give or take a few) than the Coliseum. And we haven't even talked about all those Day on the Green concerts.

I'm hopeful we get a new baseball park in Oakland one day, if only to ensure the A's stay in Oakland. But until then, I think the Coliseum is cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gojohn10 on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:16 pm:

Better than Yankee stadium? Get off the crack, man. I've been to many ballparks and agree that yankee stadium is overrated, but worse than the net? Please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:45 pm:

Hey, like Chris mentioned, only Fenway and Yankee stadium have as many ghosts and memories, (I happen to have better memories than all of those...but never mind that...)

I personally think the Coli has huge memories and the atmosphere is tens of thousands better than the over-hyped Yankee Stadium.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By giantssuck on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:58 pm:

the atmosphere at yankee stadium is something else, not to diss the coliseum. i know its just as old and dilapidated as the older ballparks, but the fans that do go to their games get real loud at 2 strikes and give curtain calls when deserved. the net gets that way but not to the same extent. in the playoffs the net has the same fan participation, but yankee stadium gets wilder!

GO A'S

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:26 pm:

I think the Coli lost a lot of its luster when the f'ing Raiders came back. I'm sorry, I know this isn't going to be the most popular opinion either, but I hate what the Raiders have done to the A's. Not only did they screw up our once beautiful stadium, they kill the grass for the last 6 weeks of the season and the entire postseason (when it's most crucial), and they will probably hold up any plans to construct a ballpark on the Coli site because Al Davis is so damn litigious. Plus, many of their fans (a lot of whom fly up from L.A.) give Oakland a bad rep.

I'm openly going to root for the Raiders to lose, so the fans will stop coming and Al can move his team somewhere else. This stadium situation would be a lot less desperate if not for the ol' Silver and Black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:28 pm:

The only thing that sucks about the Coliseum is sharing it with the Raiders. I hate seeing the field completely tore up late in the season.

Oh and I completely agree with BigThree. Ship them back to L.A. or Baghdad, I don't care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:45 pm:

I just got back from Detroit and checked out a game from their new park and it was awesome. I've been to the GNATS stadium too many times. (A's vs Giants and forgive me... XFL season tix hahahahaha)...beautiful park. Being in the Army with the 101st has allowed me to check out Wrigley, and Busch... all gorgeous parks. I still miss the NET though more than anything. I love it there!!! I love walking arround the whole stadium even though my seats are close to the action. I love the food. I love the bar!!! Other stadiums' bars suck!!! My favorite thing is enjoying a couple of innings at a window seat in the restaurant with my wife. I love how the horns and the drums and the chants echo in the stadium not because the seats are empty (even echoes when its full)...but because of the shape. I love my RAIDERS too, and yes, AL DAVIS f*cked up our park... but its still a very awesome place to see a ball game. Do I want a new stadium? Hell ya!!! Am I ok with what we got? yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By whoknows77 on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:51 pm:

Wait, the Raiders came back? Why haven't I seen them on TV?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:16 pm:

I share your perspectives, chris d and oaktowngreen. I also thoroughly enjoy the added plays that the ample foul territory affords: Chavey making fantastic catches and opponents' fielders making absolute fools of themselves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:51 pm:

I TOTALLY agree with bigthree. I get sick everytime I think about the Raiders sharing that stadium. And sicker still, looking at the field after they play there. And Mt. Davis is bad enough to look at it, without looking at the torn up field which makes it harder for our guys to make plays and just plain harder when they fall on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gojohn10 on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:52 pm:

I miss the ice plants

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:46 pm:

Now the Coli is not pretty, but I think the fans are knowledgeable, and you actually get to watch BASEBALL there without any stupid distractions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 03:00 am:

I don't give a shit what anyone says, I love the Coliseum, and when it is full of *60,000* fans (beat that, any other park in MLB!!) all cheering for the A's and rocking the house, nothing can beat that feeling. When the Raiders aren't playing, we have one of the best playing surfaces in baseball, we have the foul ground that pitchers love, and there are not many cheapy home runs. And I love that it is symmetrical, I think all these new parks with nooks and crannies are DUMB... character my ass. Nobody changes the dimensions of a football field, or a basketball court, or a soccer pitch, what the hell.

And yes we have very good food. Just wish the beer was a bit cheaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 09:42 pm:

Hey, RFF, I heard you on with Buan tonight. Good job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 12:14 am:

hehe! yes you did! and thanks! although i wasn't buying the thing about "the streak" being a distraction in the playoffs. did you hear me tell him how i had to let him go because i was on my way to get something to eat, and that dinner would never taste as good with our winning ways? haha....anyway had to give rich harden his props, he's become a stud!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 09:17 pm:

To me, the downside of The Streak was that even after 20 straight wins, the A's were still barely in first place. The end of that season was such a grind. I wonder if they did peak too early that year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 09:38 pm:

even after 20 straight wins, the A's were still barely in first place.
While the A's were going 20-0, Anaheim went 17-3. Tough to get much separation at that rate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 09:42 pm:

I guess fans in the AL West are all suffering from collective separation anxiety.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 05:46 am:

"I don't give a shit what anyone says, I love the Coliseum, and when it is full of *60,000* fans (beat that, any other park in MLB!!) all cheering for the A's and rocking the house, nothing can beat that feeling."

When has that ever happened? Sure the A's have gotten 55k plus to pack in the net but those games were against the Giants and Yankees/Bosox playoff games; and a good number of them were fans from teh opposing team. Now going to Yankee stadium where they can get 55k and 95 percent are Yankee fans, that's saying something; but I'd love to have that happen with the A's.

"When the Raiders aren't playing, we have one of the best playing surfaces in baseball"

The problem though is the Raiders do play at the net and the field is ruined basically during the most critical part of the year, the September run and through the playoffs. No team should be playing playoff ball or any ball on a surface that is a hazard and can deeply effect the play of the game. The trib ran story a few weeks ago after the Raiders played their first preseason game at the net and the A's played a few days later, Crosby missed a ball because of a bad hop casued by the bad turf. Yes, the Marlins won twice on that type of surfact but still, both teams deserved a new park.

"we have the foul ground that pitchers love, and there are not many cheapy home runs. And I love that it is symmetrical, I think all these new parks with nooks and crannies are DUMB... character my ass."

The A's pitchers have stated before that they would trade that foul territory for a new park that has lesser foul territory than the net has. The players too probably wouldn't mind have a better clubhouse and park experience with a new park. Think Giant pitchers/players would rather play at candlestick where there is a lot of foul territory than there is at SBC. Ask the Pirates, Reds, and Phillies if they'll trade in PNC, GABP, and CBF for Three Rivers , Riverfront and Veterans. The A's can build a pitcher friendly park negating the foul territory that they'll lose.

As for the symmetry, I hate it. These cookie cutter parks started this symmetry stuff and it loses it's nuiuences. That what's makes parks like Yankee Stadium, Fenway, Wrigly and these newer parks so special; they all have their nukes and crannies.

The A's will need a new park. The A's ten years from now will not be playing in the net. They'll play in a new park whether it be in Oakland or god forbid some other city.

The A's play in a glorified football stadium, plain and simple. A team that has brough so much success to a city deserves a brand new park. The A's org, fans and the city of Oakland deserves too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 07:38 am:

I think the A's have had several over 50K crowds, with the majority of fans being Oakland fans, or at least louder than the opposing fans...and THAT'S counting the cross dressers gnats fans from the other side of the Bay, who come root against the A's, especially wearing Yankee hats trying to find out what it would feel like to have some bragging rights at the Coli...

There is nothing wrong with the atmosphere at the Coli...they are not hyper=active like the NY fans who rudely stand up after every two outs as if they were watching a football game.

The Coli fans are very knowledgeable and only when the fair weather fans show up at the end of a winning season you start to hear boos when a player happens to have a bad day...

The Coli with the old bleachers was a beautiful park and the bleachers could have been preserved if it were not for the greed of ownership...
the bleachers was the heart and soul of that park.

A baseball only ballpark would be nice, but it has to be a partnership between owners and city and I don't see this happening with this present ownership.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 09:35 am:

Yeh, and the Raiders are going to be messing up the turf again tonite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 10:31 am:

The A's have had a 53,000 plus attendance against Arizona, Detroit, Kansas City with 95% of the crowd A's fans.

The A's have drawn 2.9 million in the past (1990)with a more committed ownership and a more charismatic team and manager. At that time quite a few games were sold out on weekends and the old bleachers were sold out most weekends

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 10:31 am:

Yeh, and the Raiders are going to be messing up the turf again tonite.

Don't worry, they plan to re-sod the field soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 11:08 am:

Attendance in 1990 was great but that was while the Giants were still at Candlestick.

Competition from SBC Park has been a factor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 11:47 am:

Competition from SBC has been insignificant as far as attendance. The Giants are a Northern California team and have always had a large fanbase but played in a tundra-like setting. The strike was a factor and the ownership destroying the season ticket holder base is a factor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By peanut_gallery on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 02:21 pm:

"even after 20 straight wins, the A's were still barely in first place"

That's one way to look at it. But think about it from the Angels' perspective. They went 17-3 and still lost three games in the standings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 02:35 pm:

oaktown fan,

I can remember being at the Coliseum on the final game of the 2000 season, when Huddy clinched the AL West for us, and that place was rocking, about 55K there. Yes it is full when the skanks, red sox, or giants come to town, but I have been to quite a few games that were sold out, even if they were promotions. But remember we have a larger capacity than 90% of the venues in MLB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 05:36 pm:

"We've started to play pretty well on the road," A's third baseman Eric Chavez said. "Plus, our field is so bad right now, I think we'd rather play on the road. The playing surface is not great because of football."

Enough said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 10:21 am:

Even with Chavez's quote and the recent Crosby error that took a bad hop, I find this stuff kind of overblown.

During the 23 years the A's and Raiders have shared the Oakland Coliseum, can anyone here recall there ever being one A's baseball game outcome that was affected negatively or positively due to the condition of the field after a Raiders football game? I can't think of one. Yeah, that brown grass in the outfield isn't the prettiest sight, but that's a small price to pay for having two storied franchises play in Oakland and the Bay Area.

Remember, that without the Raiders starting to become successful in the early to mid-'60s, the Coliseum probably doesn't get built in '66, which was a big part in drawing the A's to Oakland two years later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 11:04 am:

Well, Kotsay just got hurt playing on that cement parking lot they're calling a field right now. So any game where he plays from this point forward at less than 100% of what he was is a negative impact.

The Raiders turned their back on Oakland in the early 80's. When they came back in 1994, they weren't content with the current configuration of the Coliseum, the one they left. Instead they insisted on Mt. Davis and other adjustments to increase the number of luxury boxes and otherwise screw the A's.

I'm only concerned with one storied franchise in Oakland. The other one can dismantle for all I care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 11:15 am:

Why and when did they stop replacing the sod after the football games?

I may be wrong but it seems to me the groundskeeping are not repairing the damaged grass as they had in previous years.
Before this year they would roll all new sod and the work they did was amazing. Now they just left the dirt showing without any grass covering in the outfield. Why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 11:15 am:

Used to be that the MLB & NFL could share a facility without it becoming a big deal. How many baseball only parks were there in the 70's or 80's?

Less than now!

Doing the football/baseball conversion was a groundskeepers matter of pride. We did it here, Candlestick did it, most everyone did it and there was much less whining because it was a reality.

Both teams play on that surface on any given day. At least the home team has more time to learn the nuances.

I usually wshake my head when players refer to conditions, crowd size etc..

It is beyond a players circle of control and is taking the player's focus away from his own individual effort.

Focus on what you can control boys, play ball!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 11:22 am:

Exactly, the groundskeeping crew were very proud to get the field back and ready for baseball in less than 48hrs.

I feel this year there's been an almost lack of interest in fixing the field as they had done in previous years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 11:35 am:

OK so if I may ask....

Do you feel as if the grounds crew is doing an inferior job this year as compared to years past?

If so, was there any major turn around in grounds crew? Did they all suddenly stop giving a crap?

OR

Do you think that with the stadium issue being such a hot topic here and because there really are not many all purpose stadiums left, that the microscope is dialed a little tighter on the field conditions to make a point?

Chime in all...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 12:55 pm:

From what i hear, Clay Wood is still the head guy, which leads me to think that maybe the funds aren't being budgeted for turnaround costs. You're only as good as the resources you have. Point to the Coliseum on that issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 09:49 pm:

My thought also was that it may be a money issue. Replacing the sod every other week must cost a few bucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 10:41 pm:

Well, Kotsay just got hurt playing on that cement parking lot they're calling a field right now. So any game where he plays from this point forward at less than 100% of what he was is a negative impact.

Nice try, but his back was bothering him BEFORE 8/21. Of course, his recent diving attempts to catch line drives hasn't helped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 11:26 pm:

I thought it was his knee that's the problem at the moment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By filthyslurve on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 12:33 am:

Has anyone seen the SBC outfield lately? I was forced to go tonight and that whole right field looks terrible. It is scarred from a concert or something? What's their excuse?

I'm not piling on strictly in partisan bitterness, but the atmosphere at that place is flat. I've been twice now and easily the difference in attendance (between the Coli and their average crowd) are people paying absolutely no attention to the game. We sat in the ($21!) bleachers and there were easily 60 people mesmorized by the pitching attraction under the big glove in the 3rd inning. The place was no where near full on the Friday night of Labor Day weekend.

There's no originality in my conclusion that the experience at the Coliseum centers on baseball, and at SBC, Bonds and the chicks in the bachelorette party next to us trying to get on the "kissing counter" by kissing one another.

Beer is the same (except we have Guinness), food is equivalent (they have much shorter lines because of many more concession stands), and we have four world series banners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 08:20 am:

filthy,
you mean nobody pays attention until Bonds comes to bat. Then everyone jumps up out of their seats and screams at every popup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bloggsy on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 08:39 am:

i miss the iceplant too. I know everyone is hot on a baseball-only park but have always wondered if the coli's concourse areas wouldn't look loads better with just a few coats of forest green paint?! i think it would be a transformation!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 02:03 pm:

It's too dark in the concourses already. Maybe a lighter shade of green. Or better lighting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bloggsy on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 07:50 pm:

or both!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 11:11 pm:

are problems are solved with this scenerio:

get rid of the damed Raiders send them to LA where thier going to be in 5 yrs anyway.

tear down Mount davis for 60 million and rebiuld the bleachers.

put back the manuel scoreboard ect just like it was and you have your baseball stadium.

do this with the clause that the owners have to sign the big 3 and whomever superstar they have for the next 15 yrs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 05:19 am:

Or....

Let's go see Doc Brown and maybe we can use his time machine.........

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.