Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Question about market size / finances.

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Question about market size / finances.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 02109 on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 07:31 am:

Good morning Oakland fans,

I've been reading a bunch of threads here and one thing that stands out to me is your concern with the lack of parity in baseball when it comes to resources, payroll, etc. "Boston SHOULD make the play-offs with the resources they have, where we would be LUCKY to make it."

First of all, I do agree with the first part, and I have the utmost respect for the A's organization and the ability to potentially make the post-season for a fifth time in a row - with the resources you have. It doesn't matter which star leaves (Damon, Giambi, Tejada), the A's seemingly step up and prove to be the perennial force in the West. Thank God money doesn't guarantee wins (Marlins last year)!

But why is it Oakland works with a payroll that's half the payroll of Boston? In fact, the Bay Area is anything but a so-called small-market. Why is it the Giants had nearly $50 million more in revenues (that's about your entire pay-roll, right?)last season than the A's? Why did the A's have an operating income* of nearly $12 million in 2003 (Top 3 in the majors) and what has been done with that extra money? Why does Forbes estimate the franchise value of the SF Giants to be double that of the Athletics?

In short, instead of looking over towards the East and seeing the Yankees top $180 million in salaries this year, and the Red Sox top $120 million, and resent that disparity - maybe you could tell me why the A's aren't spending more and how they could increase revenue.

Note: *Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 08:28 am:

I'll tell you why?

Because the Giants made a pact with the conniving, extortionist present commissioner Bud Selig and his cohorts.

The Oakland A's had outdrawn the Giants (before new park) 10 seasons out of 17 seasons. The Giants tried unsuccessfully to build a publicly funded ballpark and were SOLD to Tampa Bay, when Bud Selig stepped in, blocked the sale and got Peter Magowan to be the front man of an investment group to build the privately funded ballpark. Selig gave this group the assurance and MLB territorial rights to the South Bay.

Selig has been trying to get the A's out of the Bay Area (even out of baseball) through contraction or merger) because he strongly believes the Oakland A's hurts the Giants organization.

The very same Selig has blocked and nixed the sale of the A's to at least 2 local bidders with a genuine intention of staying in Oakland and even getting involved in building a ballpark.

The present ownership is making their profits and have more than doubled their original investment, after bying the team for less than half the market value, by lying to Mr. Haas about their intentions of keeping the team in Oakland.

They purchased the A's with a total season ticket holder fanbase of 15K and because of their non fandom friendly attitude (threats of moving, lowest payroll in baseball after firesale of talent in 1996, constant whinning about ballpark etc..) alienated their fanbase to as low as 3 thousand after two years of ownership.

Because they cater to walk-up crowds rather than to build up their season ticket fandom, they have only 5K season ticket holders, who they continue to alienate. They block good seats and offer inferior seating to partial s.t. holders, especially to "premium games" and offer all sorts of promotions and good seating to last minute ticket buyers. There are very few advantages for the s.t. holders, especially for the partial plans.

There's more but I'm sure this is boring to many here on this section of the forum. I will therefore move this thread to the off-field matters for further discussion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 08:29 am:

they could spend more , i have been telling this board all along schott is making a ton of extra cash and pocketing it without putting it back into the team, this is why this ownership is not interested in selling this franchise even thought they supposidly are not making any money, why? becuase they are making hand over fist in revenue.

the A's attract 2 .2 million fans with a payment of only 500k to rent the colisieum , and they get 100% of parking and food consessions and rent 75% of lux boxes and i beleive they have more of those then most baseball stadiums so you are right they make and KEEP truck loads of money.

yes i have been on this rant before but really this ownership refused a trade based on 1.8 million when both owners are Billionares give me a fregen break!!!!!! now we got a team that might not make the playoffs and if we do make them probably will be embarrased big time in them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.