Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

The real reason Schott won't build in the Uptown Site.....

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: The real reason Schott won't build in the Uptown Site.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 08:17 pm:

It seems as though the real reason Schott does not want to build a new ballpark in the Uptown site is because of the Area. He probably thinks it's too bad and has high crime. If this is the real reason, then maybe he should look across the bay at Candlestick Park and see what area that's in. It's in Bay View/ Hunters Point and everybody knows about that area. It's pretty rough. Yet the Giants played there and the 49ers still play there even though the stadium is surrounded by projects. And don't be fooled, SBC Park is right buy Patrero Hill which is also rough. So if this is his problem he should let it go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 08:29 pm:

Well...Candlestick is technicially in that area, but if you've ever been there you know it's also close to the freeway (and that road that goes under the freeway to Tunnel Ave), and it's pretty secluded. Also, the reputation Hunter's point has, I believe, really only developed in the past 5 years or so. But I could be wrong.

I think it would be absolutely fabulous if we could build a park near Jack London Square, but I think the only real option we'll see is the Coliseum parking lot. Makes sense in a lot of ways though.

Still, a new stadium doesn't guarentee a ton of attendance. Just look at Miller Park, Pittsburgh, etc. Anyway our attendance has been going up year after year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 08:37 pm:

Oaklandfasho510 - I am really unclear where you are getting this information from. Sources?

Yes, Schott never showed much interest in Uptown. By the same token, it was never really an option because Jerry Brown had his plans for Forrest City.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 08:46 pm:

jenmed, notice that I said "probably" in my original statement. And rayfosse fan, Hunters Point has always been a rough area. I was just trying to make the point that many stadiums and arenas are in the part of a town that you want to stay out of but that doesn't mean you should not build there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 08:54 pm:

Schott never wanted the uptown site because he wanted to move the team to the south bay. Now that that doesn't seem possible, he'll put up a feeble attempt at the Coli parking lot. And if that doesn't work, he'll sell the team to the highest bidder, even if the buyer plans to move the team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 03:13 am:

The problem is that Candlestick was built four decades ago and I don't think the neighborhood was as bad as it was today. The area around the net isn't the most friendliest of places but it's not as bad as Hunter's Point is, and there's going to be a huge project near the bar station so I see that area of Oakland only getting better, I don't see that for the area around the Stick.

Your point of the uptown area I don't agree with. If you look at all the new urban parks built in or near the downtown area, most of the places weren't the most deseriable places. Crime may have been a part of it in those cities and Oakland but I don't think it's as bad as you think in the uptown area. Why would the city bank it's entire future really on an area where it may have a huge crime rate. I think areas that these new parks were built and the uptown area was untapped and if you built a park, it would change the area for the better.

The true obstacle of building a park in Oakland is the A's ownership. They've waited almost a decade to even hint of wanting to stay in Oakland let alone build a new park here.

I know Jerry Brown wanted to build a huge housing complex in the uptown area but I think he would've listened also in integrating a park in the plan too, as would Forrest City. To use the city's "redevelopment money" for the next decade really for only housing doesn't make sense, but if you built a park with it, then I think it would be a great area to live and visit.

I'm still not buying the story a few months ago that the A's are willing to help build a new park. This ownership group has mislead and lied to this fanbase ever since they bought the team and until I see something concrete happening instead of a newspaper story hinting about something happening, we've all seen those many times the past few years, talk of a new park in Oakland is still a dream for us A's fans especially if the current ownership is still running the park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownpat on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 10:49 am:

Amen

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.