Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Dave Newhouse trashes A's fansa, as does writer Andrew Baggarly

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Dave Newhouse trashes A's fansa, as does writer Andrew Baggarly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 12:13 pm:

As long as bad press continues for this team, Oakland is in trouble getting more fans to attend. Now Newhouse has quotes from Brendan Donnelly(Angels),Bret Boone, and of course, Carl Everett.
Saying Oakland is the worst place for verbal abuse,Anaheim reliever Brendan Donnelly says," I hate Oakland, everything about Oakland.."
Dave Newhouse putting in huge print of his article, "Oakland Fans Have Earned A Bad Reputation",and"Bad rep?Oakland Fans Have Earned Dishonor", certainly doesn't help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 12:20 pm:

On the way home from work last week I was listening to the Angels pregame show, and they had their bullpen coach on, Joe Madden, after "Chairgate". Madden said the worst ballpark for fan abuse by far was Fenway, for whatever it's worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 12:39 pm:

Can we PLEASE keep this type of news and threads on the OFF FIELD MATTERS!!!!

The A's are in a pennant race and this side of the forum is for A's baseall discussions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 12:49 pm:

Yeah, I'm sure Dave Newhouse can interview a few other players that are willing to trash the Oakland A's and fans.

Why doesn't he interview players ex players like Rickey, Hendu, Dave Parker, Eck and/or some other hall of famers around the league.

Who the hell is Brendan Donnelly to be such an expert on ballpark fan behaviour?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 11:22 pm:

I am sure I could find a few people in Newhouse's office building to say he is a cross dresser but that doesn't make it so...

does it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 07:38 am:

he might be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 10:18 am:

Actually, I think Newhouse's column is more about plagiarism than anything else? And I don't think he interviewed these players at all.

Jim Moore, a columnist for the Seattle Post Intelligence, had all those quotes ... and then some ... in his column, dated 9/16/04. Wonder if Newhouse simply copied them. Also, Rick Hurd (cctimes) the same day, had many of the same quotes.

Looks to me like Glenn Dickey was the only columnist who did his homework and told it like it is, while having the good taste to disregard the bulk of such quotes from guys who really don't matter. Not to mention Mr. Temper Tantrum Carl Everett. I really thought Newhouse had better sense than this column reveals. But then maybe it has never occurred to him that some of these overpaid professionals tend to greatly embellish their stories when it falls into their favor.

In fact, you would think Newhouse would recall the comments from the likes of Dave Stewart and the ongoing racist remarks in the Boston pen. Or, more recently, how about the professionalism of Eric Chavez who says, "hey, you just laugh that stuff off" and get on with game, when he revealed the racist comments he always receives in Texas? Heh, and he doesn't even speak Spanish. Or how about Mr. Heckler in TB whose favorite A's target is Durazo (and who the whole world can hear) and Durazo's response is complete professionalism, answering with his bat?

Oh, and speaking of Donnelly and who he is ... who the hell is JJ Putz, he of vast experience in the M's pen this year, who was quoted in Moore's article, along with the "expert" himself, Headcase Jeff Nelson?

In short, this was a very poorly conceived column by Mr. Newhouse, as was the one by Jim Moore. Very slanted with doing no homework nor investigation. The only guy quoted not from the A's rival teams within the division, was a prime prospect for a shrink's couch and anger mgmnt classes ... Carl Everett. C'mon, Newhouse, I thought you were better than this. What trash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 10:47 am:

Chuck Nevius's column wasn't much better...and he doesn't even write about sports anymore....
but of course he couldn't pass the chance to dump his bile upon A's fans. Disgusting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 10:55 am:

here's Nevius Column:" No tears here for brash fan "

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/09/18/BAGG08QR8D1.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 11:01 am:

"CW" lives in the East Bay and should be ashamed of himself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 11:25 am:

The Oakland A's might have the fans with the sharpest verbal barbs, but we can't touch SBC when it comes to women and children getting trampled in the stands and fans getting stabbed to death in the parking lot.

The problem at the Coliseum was created by stupid Texas ballplayers returning the verbal abuse rather than keeping their mouths shut and paying attention to the game (it is their job).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 10:48 pm:

The stabbing horror could happen ANYWHERE. Let's not be hypocrates.

This time it was the players but everywhere there is a fringe element. I stand by the mantra.

Owning a ticket doth not make you a fan.

These writers are reaching for readership. Most fish wrap hacks will write piddle like this just to get a rise. That way they can prove readership or maybe someone here will link to the story and it will get more hits and justify that writers stupid existance.

How about we refrain from sharing those links as I fear we may be encouraging these fools?

I wish not to give them a page hit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 10:49 am:

It's a catch-22 it seems. If you do respond, they get more press, but if you don't, some take what they say is fact. Dave Newhouse really lashed out-maybe he's having problems at home!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.