Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

"A's made verbal agreement to stay in Oakland": De La Fuente on KRON4 News

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: "A's made verbal agreement to stay in Oakland": De La Fuente on KRON4 News
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownpat on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 12:17 am:

Its hard for us to talk about anything else but the A's SUCKING right now, but I tought this was encouraging.

KRON4 news tonight did a piece on how the Expos new home effects the A's. The interviewed De La Fuente, who said (paraphrasing):

"We met ten days ago and have a verbal agreement that the A's will stay in Oakland, possibly in the Coliseum area."

"We might see an official agreement in around three weeks . . ."

Wow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 01:16 am:

I'll believe it when it's in the form of a long-term lease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 06:15 am:

That is great new oaktownpat, great news!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 09:12 am:

Yeh, well read this morning's paper. Schott and crew are at it again, now that the Expos move has been announced. Turning their eyes again (which never really turned away) to SC. And people keep asking "what happened to your fans?" They really need to ask this motley ownership that question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 09:42 am:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2004/09/30/SPGRQ91BUG1.DTL

quotes from the article above:

"I think this opens the door for us to review the South Bay," A's owner Steve Schott said.

"In my opinion, the Giants have bogus territorial rights. I've said it before, and I'll say it again," Schott said. "The only person at this point who can neutralize that right is the commissioner (Bud Selig), and he said he doesn't want to tread into that area. As time goes by, things change. For a long time, he didn't want to move a club into Washington, D.C., or northern Virginia because of the Orioles' situation. Obviously, after they looked at all the different areas, they said that was the best of all available sites."
"We're trying to focus on the East Bay," said Lewis Wolff, A's vice president of venue development, who remains in contact with Oakland City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente and Alameda County Supervisor Gail Steel.

Schott said he's "perturbed" by the recent crowd counts and that the poor field conditions caused by the Raiders "magnifies our problem."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 10:02 am:

Where does Schott think the money will come from to realize his pipe dream?

Is he willing to pay Peter Magowan and the Giants investors around 20 million per year over the next 15 years JUST for their debt service?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownpat on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 10:45 am:

I still don't understand how they think S.J. is necessarily the answer to the attendance problems. In all un-biased honesty I do not think S.J will do well to support a baseball team. Especially a team owned by these guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 10:58 am:

Schott should be "perturbed" at himself for being such a moron in the middle of a pennant race.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 02:11 pm:

it ain't gonna happen. There is a big difference between the Oriols and Giants.

The Giants were granted rights to the south bay. Whereas, Baltimore was not. That is why they finally decided on DC.

So Schott doesn't have a shot. (no pun intended)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 06:53 pm:

I love the A's being Oakland and I always want them to be the Oakland A's, even though I am from San Jose (well, I lived there for 16 years).

That said, I think this whole idea of "territorial rights" is pure bullshit. There are a LOT of A's fans in the South Bay. Anyone been to the Fremont BART station before a game? Tried driving up 880 before a game? So does that mean we can't advertise in the South Bay? Sorry but this is BS, and the Expos moving to Washington will set a legal precedent, if the A's want to move.

Even more idiotic, the A's stadium now is about 10 miles from SBC, but in the Southbay it would be 60 miles away. When the A's tried to move to Santa Clara, the A's didn't bitch about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 08:06 pm:

Good point RFF there's no reason why the A's can't market to San Jose- Oakland is not any further away from SJ than SF is, especially with SBC's location.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 08:29 pm:

RFF, the territory the Giants are claiming has nothing to do with fans.

When the Giants agreed to build a privately funded ballpark, they got an agreement from MLB (Selig) that the corporate sponsorship and tv rights included the San Jose/Santa Clara area.

Schott knows that and he also knows that if he wants to move the team into that area, he will have to pay off the Giants for what Selig and MLB awarded them by contract.

MLB is a franchise business and the individual owners have to abide by the rules of the majority.

Take away their anti-trust exemption and Schott could move wherever he wants. But then he loses his little pot of gold as a bottom feeder of the shared revenue pie.

Schott should put up or shut up...or better yet
SELLL his shares.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 09:29 pm:

I though Wally Haass (sp) gave Bob Louri(sp) the rights as good will jesture...what did selig have to do with it? He was not commish at the time. Bart or
the Olympic guy was....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 10:02 pm:

No, Bubba, we're talking about 1992, when the gnats were all set to move to Florida. Selig put together a local group, with Magowan as the front man, to buy the gnats and build a park with private money, in exchange for the "exclusive" rights to the South Bay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 08:18 am:

The folks trying to move the team to San Jose are claiming they have collected 100K signatures in support of moving the team and will presenting it to the commish...

the commish isn't impressed with signatures unless they're in money orders or in cashier's checks.

signatures mean nothing to Selig...he even knows how much money it takes to get 100K signatures and that's chicken little for him to even consider its validity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 07:35 am:

This ownership group looking more now towards the south bay wouldn't surprise me at all now since the Expos are moving to DC.

In fact, I bet we fans will here a statement made from the org that this ownership group is now interested in challenging the South Bay rights the Giants have sooner than we hear about the A's ownership interested in a park in Oakland somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 09:38 pm:

well, it'z been way over 3 weeks. Wonder where is that deal?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.