Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A humorous take on the Expos new life in DC

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A humorous take on the Expos new life in DC
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 07:56 pm:

Pat Hruby will bring a smile to your face. Some great lines --- read Moneyball to avoid getting ripped off in a trade with Billy Beane; or don't call them the Washington Nationals or the Republicans will want to change their name to the Washington Reagans.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20041001-123113-6240r.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 10:48 pm:

I wonder which city will be the recipient of this team the 3rd time around after DC? What a joke. Any other city which failed not once, but twice in keeping their team, sure wouldn't be getting a 3rd shot. I'm sure Bud Lite is looking out for their own interests by placing another team there at this time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 09:16 am:

An even better joke was watching this morning's Ch 2 news...

They had the Mayor of San Jose on stating that he was going to introduce a motion tomorrow at the SJ City Council Meeting, to renew efforts of bringing a team to San Jose.

So the anchor asked him if the City of San Jose was willing to build MLB a ballpark and tax residents to build a ballpark. Mayor Gonzales said no public funds would be used for funding a ballpark but they could help with land and some street arrangements.

ha....and of course who will pay the Giants off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 09:49 am:

What I heard on KCBS radio was that the SJ City Council will consider a resolution asking MLB to rescind the Giants' territorial rights to the South Bay and that booster Larry Stone considers the Expos deal a "precedent."

I don't like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 11:57 am:

While the A's can be considered an endangered species in Oakland, thy will NOT be moving to San Jose. MLB and the Giants are on the hook for the mortgage on SBC Park. What they would like to see is the A's move out of the Bay Area entirely.

Additionally, D.C. is NOT in the defined contractual territory of the Baltimore Orioles, while San Jose is within the Giants defined contractual teritory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 12:25 pm:

Well, the KCBS has been blasting all morning about how the Expos move has rekindled the hopes of the A's move to San Jose...yadda...yadda...yadda...

So I was listening while I drove to the Coli to get the three strips for post season credited to my account.

I asked for the full refund, unlike other years when I used the refund as payment for next years season tickets.

NOT this time!!! I told them that when Schott stops talking like a carpetbagger I'll pay for next years s.t....until then I'll be damned if he is going to earn interest on my money during the next six months...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 12:30 pm:

Props to Chris Berman of ESPN who this morning said that he was dissappointed in MLB for selling the Expos out.

He said they had a chance to get a ballpark for this team 3 years ago and blew it and that the Expos (at the time) had a following & attendance.

Good for combover er Chris, I'm proud that he had the guts to say what others are afraid to say.

How big of a tragedy is the 1994 strike now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 12:43 pm:

Well, it's too late now. The Expo's fans needed media support then, before Selig and his mafiosos killed baseball in Montreal... now it's way too late. Most of the mediots were too busy making jokes about the attendance and empty ballpark.

Selig and his buddies set up that situation and are now laughing all the way to the bank. Just like he is setting up Oakland as we speak...

In my opinion, every single writer that didn't speak out before the Expos' move should forget about crying about it now. Too late.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 04:08 pm:

Here is an interesting comparison of the A's - Giants situation with that of the Orioles - Expos: http://www.bizjournals.com/industries/sports_business/general/2004/10/04/baltimore_story1.html

I don't like the concluding comments that indicate MLB ultimately works out (problem) situations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 04:09 pm:

Here is an interesting comparison of the A's - Giants situation with that of the Orioles - Expos: http://www.bizjournals.com/industries/sports_business/general/2004/10/04/baltimore_story1.html

I don't like the concluding comments that indicate MLB ultimately works out (problem) situations. The issue is how they work them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 04:23 pm:

Sorry about that . . . I twice worked in the Department of Redundancy Department.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 10:17 am:

The issue of MLB in San Jose was discussed on KGO yesterday afternoon between 2:00 and 3:00. During a short interview, the mayor of San Jose did not reveal anything new. He said he would support a privately funded ballpark, but offered no idea as to where that money would come from. As he concluded, he took a shot at the area by saying the East Bay had "no fanbase". The host (filling in for Pete Wilson) corrected him to say that a fanbase does exist in the East Bay, but that they just have "lousy facilities".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 12:15 pm:

Warren, I was told that IDLF was going to participate in that talk on KGO. Was he part of the discussion? I missed that show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 06:16 pm:

I'm not sure, as I tuned in well after 2:00. The mayor of San Jose was on from just after 2:30 to about 2:40. The hour concluded with a call from "Larry", but I did not catch his full name so I am not sure if it was Larry Jackson or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 09:59 pm:

If he was in support of SJ, it was probably Larry Stone.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.