Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Regarding the Giants' claims to the South Bay

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Regarding the Giants' claims to the South Bay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 02:31 pm:

I'm not an advocate of the A's moving to San Jose, but I happen to think the whole territorial rights issue is totally lame. So does Mark Purdy...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=knight-giantsclaimstosanjoseincr&prov=knight&type=lgns

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 05:50 pm:

Well, Mark Purdy is an advocate of the A's move to San Jose.

What he doesn't realize is that like it or not, MLB gave the Giants the territory when they agreed to privately pay for the ballpark.

It has NOTHING to do with the Montreal move to DC which btw did not violate Baltimore's rights since one team is in the NL and the other is in AL.

I think that if the A's get permission to move to the South Bay, just watch the domino effect that could bring...get ready for all hell to break lose with all the other territories, starting with NY/NJ and New England.

And the only way the A's will get permission to move will be if they are willing to pay the Giants a lot of money.

Maybe all these A's fans who are so eager to see the A's relocate to San Jose should pass the hat and go presented to Schott so he can realize his pipe dream.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 09:26 pm:

I don't think the Giants would give up the rights even for lots of money. Bonds has probably two good years left. I'm sure they realize after that, the fan draw, including corporate sponsorships, could become an uphill battle ... unless they suddenly find lots of gold in their minor league system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 09:50 pm:

The only chance of the A's getting the terrirorial rights is for Magoan and his ownernship to sell the Giants.

Plus the owners owned the Expo's, so the move
is approved because they all make loads of cash,
with a bug chunk of cash guaranteeing the revenue
to the Orioles will stay as before the move. Is
Schott going to guarantee to pay the Giants if
they do not sell out every year. I don't think so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 04:45 pm:

And also, the O's had no such deal (similar to Giants' deal) with re to territorial rights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 11:33 am:

The O's had no rights to DC...In Spirit or on paper

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.