Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Something Carl Steward Said

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Something Carl Steward Said
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By athleticsfan on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 04:24 pm:

I don't if anybody caught the article in yesterday's Daily Review in the Sports Sec., but basically Carl Steward said if the A's don't win this series with the Yankees, then it will mentally effect their game and outlook for this season by losing this series to the Yanks. Basically he said "this series will set the tone for what kind of season the A's will have."

Normally I agree with Carl Steward and consider him a decent East Bay Writer but what he said about this series setting a tone is a load of crap! Whether the A's win this series or not, will not set any tones! Were only in April and whoever wins this series does not prove or gurantee nothing. We still have alot of Baseball to play before September.

The A's are already having a better April this season than last April. Even if the A's get sweep this series does not mean their season is shot!! Last season the A's went 8-18 in April but still went on to win 102 games. Some media heads have short memories, like the fact the Giants did make the playoff last season!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 05:10 pm:

The A's are playing without their best right handed stick in Dye and they're still giving the Yankees all they can handle without him.

Speaking of setting tones, didn't the A's sweep both series against the Yankees at the net last year and then lose both games at home in the playoffs. I know playoffs and the regular season are completely different but everybody was making such a big deal out of the home winning streak the A's had to end the regular season and look what happened. No matter how this series ends, I think both teams have enough respect for each other and knows very well that they could be seeing each other again when October arrives.

The A's are a second half team and they have proven it the last 3 seasons when they've been around the .500 mark at the All Star Break and got hot during the last 2 months. If the A's are in contention, which I'm sure they will be, I can almost gurantee that Beane will make a trade for another bat or more help in the bullpen to get the team back in the playoffs to make another run for a championship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By athleticsfan on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 05:17 pm:

I agree oaktownfan, the A's are a very typical 2nd Half team. All the sudden there are team to be reckon with after the All Star Break.

The Giants are perfect example of a 1st Half team. The Giants typically start to slow down after the All Star Break.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By athleticsfan on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 05:43 pm:

I need to correct something I said in my first post. I ment to say the Giants did NOT make the playoffs last year.

Yeah oaktownfan, the A's are playing pretty decent without Dye. Plus they have gone without Mulder the pass week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chavy4ever on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 08:50 pm:

April baseball means nothing. If they suck in June, then start to worry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tufe on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 09:01 pm:

...some columnist spews the standard assortment of cliche drivel @ this time in the season and you blink?!...shameful...

...I said some awful bad things about the 2001 A's @ this same point of the season...minor-league like errors-prone mess that it was...and I am certainly glad the team went on to prove me wrong...

...next time...read the guy's column to your pet and it won't seem so important...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By athleticsfan on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:28 am:

Tufe, Normally I would of not given articles like that a second thought. I was just surpised someone like Carl Steward said it. Maybe he was just trying to get the fans worked up for this series. But I guess he redeemed himself with his Extended Lease Article.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 03:53 pm:

Horse puckey! Even if they had been swept; but now that they won ... and decisively ... the final game, it is a good stepping stone into the Chisox series, a much hotter team than the Yankees and with a more a powerful lineup. I'll be very pleased if we can win that series.

I predict that the M's will win at least 2-3 from yankboys; they have middle relief. Course, I think I might be rooting for the Yankees in that series.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 04:06 pm:

DJ, bite your tongue! Root for the Yankees! Never! Now, I can root for the M's to lose, of course. ;-)

We may not have won this series, but we were very evenly matched throughout, aside from our bullpen. Pretty impressive with Dye and Mulder out of the lineup.

How 'bout that Miggy? What a game today. DJ - give that kitten of yours a pat for me!

I don't agree with Carl Steward's comment . . . if we had lost the series and had rolled over for the Yanks, I would have been worried. But what impresses me about the team this year is that they never give up - when we were down 5-0 yesterday, it would have been easy to get depressed and give up. But they didn't. And THAT makes a huge difference in terms of a series loss. If you play well (again, aside from the bullpen) and then lose a close game, then you have no reason to hang your head.

And, as an aside, our defense was good throughout the series.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By emkey on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 05:13 pm:

Two pitches were the differerence between a sweep and the A's losing two out of three. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 05:37 pm:

Great win today. We are obviously even with the Yankees at this point, despite missing some key players.
All I can say is, the White Sox scare me and I can't WAIT to see Dye in the lineup tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 06:22 pm:

Miguel "One a Day" Tejada!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.