Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Correcting SI

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Correcting SI
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 09:35 am:

In this morning's SI Extra, I read a line that seemed wrong.

St. Louis became the fourth team in history never to have a lead in the World Series (1963 Dodgers, '66 Orioles and 90 A's were the others)...

I was pretty sure that was wrong about the A's so I went to retrosheet.org to verify. Sure enough, the A's lead 3-2 after three innings in Game 2. (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B10170CIN1990.htm)

Of course, a team that NEVER lead in the WS was SF in '89. (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/YPS_1989.htm)

I found a general e-mail address for SI, but does anyone have Tom Verducci's e-mail address?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 05:03 pm:

Speaking of SI, in this week's issue, there's a note in one of their "gossip" sections that Alyssa Milano has officially dumped Carl Pavano in favor of Barry Zito and that she's trying to persuade him -- allegedly a conservative Republican -- to vote for Kerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jtraeg on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 11:22 pm:

witch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 09:26 am:

good job Ey...that's just what we need to discuss again...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 08:27 pm:

*SIGH*

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 09:09 pm:

Double SIGH .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 01:21 am:

Doesn't Lil have the trademark (at least on this site) for the singular response of "sigh"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 08:52 am:

no trademark but...

sigh...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 09:19 am:

Perhaps, but simplefan and I capitalized ours. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 10:44 am:

Sorry to indulge eyleen, but here is more dish on U-Know-Who...

http://www.la.com/blog/weblog.php?id=P668

SIGH ---i cannot resist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanehead on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 12:50 pm:

Zito clearly loves the attention and craves a bigger stage. Numbers aside, if you understand this psychology, then we should trade him by '06. He's half-way out the door as it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kkdaz on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 02:11 pm:

I'm guessing he'd be delighted to go to the Yankees. I had the feeling that he and Macha disagreed more than once this past year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 02:50 pm:

I would have voted for Kerry if Alyssa Milano let me drink her bath water, let alone this.

Any word on whether she managed to change Barry's mind?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanehead on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 04:01 pm:

I knew Alyssa Milano would turn out well way back on WHO'S THE BOSS, but I didn't have a clue she'd turn out THIS well.

Judging from the story above, it doesn't seem to be a household divided by politics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 04:55 pm:

At quick glance, I thought this was Menechino and Giambi...

http://web.wireimage.com/images/thumbnail/3654059.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanehead on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 05:03 pm:

HAHAHAHA! That's messed up!

Here's mine:

At quick glance, I thought this was a negative image of Michael Jackson and Emmanuel Lewis...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kkdaz on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 05:04 pm:

Good thing he still pitches better than he dresses, though it's getting close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 09:41 pm:

finley, I had always figured Zito to be a flakey libby hippy guy("a little airy, a little manic", pink pillows, stuff toys, masturbation before games, etc), and am astounded he is a GOPer...

Shows that stereotypes do not work anymore...not in this confusing day and age...

Personally, I do not care who he votes for, or what he does before games, as long as he gets his stuff together and gets us 20 wins next season.

At this point, I am less concerned about who wins the elections than..... who is going to CATCH for the A's next season now that Miller is gone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pct on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 06:56 am:

I do believe the '89 Giants never had the lead during the World Series against the A's...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pct on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 06:57 am:

scratch that last message - wbell already mentioned it in the beginning (though what's the harm in repeating this little fact... ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 01:14 pm:

What if Zito is in fact a flaming liberal, but he spun this conservative tale so Milano felt she had to "cure" him ala Florence Nightengale?

This would certainly be the definition of the phrase, "crafty lefthander"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jtraeg on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 08:38 pm:

Nope, He's a USC guy, that is a VERY conservative school and and part of California, its so conservative that they were burning the house down when Carter won the election back in the day. Even though he may fit the description of a "stereotypical liberal" I wasnt surprised at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 09:53 pm:

He also went to UCSB, and I think he considers himself more a Gaucho than a Trojan, based on his conversations with fellow Gaucho Jim Rome.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.