Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Chavez wins 4th straight Gold Glove

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Chavez wins 4th straight Gold Glove
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 03:46 pm:

Don't have a link to the official press release but read Chavez did in fact beat out A-Rod for the award. No surprise Ivan Rodriguez won the Gold Glove for catcher but really Miller deserved it this year.

Oh and Derek Jeter won a Gold Glove. Yes, Derek Jeter. I'm expecting by next year they'll already put him in the Hall of Fame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 04:03 pm:

Just got word of it off of KCBS on it!

Congrats to Chavy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 04:05 pm:

So we'll see more of Jeter going into the stands tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 04:05 pm:

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/oak/news/oak_news.jsp?ymd=20041102&content_id=909135&vkey=news_oak&fext=.jsp

And a link!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 04:54 pm:

Saw it on Yahoo Sports, as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=algoldglovewinners&prov=st&type=lgns

Jeter. What a joke. He probably got it just for the play when he leapt into the stands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 05:28 pm:

What's so funny about that play is that a better shortstop would have made it look a hell of a lot easier.

Actually Bret Boone winning at 2nd might be even worse of a pick. Jeter at least had maybe his best defensive year to date (not saying much) but Boone regressed horribly defensively this year. Orlando Hudson was robbed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 05:36 pm:

Did anyone hear if Chavy is giving his Gold Glove to Chris Speier this year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 09:05 pm:

I cant believe Chavez still hasnt been named an ALL-Star !!! CRAZY!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 09:27 pm:

I really wonder whether Vernon Wells was more deserving than Kotsay.

Not that he deserved it at all, I'm almost surprised they didn't give it to A-rod.

I believe this season Jeter had his lowest # of errors, but all factors considered, was he really better than Tejada? I don't know. Jeter has less range than just about any ss in the game. But his stage is bigger than Tejada's and after all, Arod doesn't man the position any longer.

And if Ellis had been healthy all year, I wonder if Boone would have still won it. Lot of ifs, I know, but I'm glad Chavy got it. Four consecutive GG's for a guy whose knock on him was defense, when he arrived up here. Not too shabby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 12:50 am:

Chavvy, despite the late season errors, was the top of the league in Zone Rating and Range Factor, and #2 in Fielding Percentage. Despite only playing 125 games, he had the second most chances in the league.

By those same measures, Vernon Wells deserved it over Kotsay. I thought Kotsay was unbelievable, but I don't watch Vernon Wells play every day, so it's not fair for me to judge. Wells was better than Kotsay in those same three statistical categories, so it's much easier to argue for him than Kotsay, just like it's easier to argue for Chavvy over any other 3B.

Jeter's award is a joke. He was barely average this year, and that was a huge improvement over years past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dansward on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 08:33 am:

big3, those numbers on Chavez are amazing. My initial reaction was that this was a rote award that he really didn't deserve. I stand corrected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 08:42 am:

Well, Tejada had 11 more errors (24) than Jeter, and usually Jeter has more. But when you look at all the stats, Miggy has him by leaps and bounds. Also, probably one reason Jeter had fewer errors is because they had better D at 3rd and 2b, this year. The only above average I can say about Jeter's D is that he is nails on the pops btw. short and outfield ... he is really outstanding at catching those balls with his back to the infield. But that's it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 12:21 pm:

I was afraid A-fraud would get it just based on his reputation. Hooray for Chavey!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 02:59 pm:

I thought Vernon Wells was better then Torii "Spelling" Hunter. Kotsay winning was a pipe dream but there are no honorable mentions in the Gold Glove. It was surprising that Chavez won, I thought A-Rod would win just on reputation like Eyleen mentioned.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.