Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

John Baker answers fans' questions.

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: John Baker answers fans' questions.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 11:47 pm:

Worth the read. And note that his favorite player was Will Clark and he "hates the Giants" because they traded him. Though he says the A's are the team he's always dreamed of playing for.

At the bottom of the article are updates on some of the AFL players. I'm surprised they did not mention Omar Quintanilla, as he is leading the AFL in BA, at .418.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/oak/news/oak_news.jsp?ymd=20041105&content_id=910712&vkey=news_oak&fext=.jsp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 05:23 pm:

Exciting news:

"On the mound, the top story continues to be 2004 draftee Street. The reliever had been virtually unhittable in the AFL, allowing just one run in 14 innings of work. Street had yielded one walk while striking out 15, keeping AFL hitters to a .196 batting average against."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 08:52 pm:

Speaking of Street. Yankee fans have all these trade ideas in order to get one of our pitchers and of course they think they're sending something worthwhile back. For a laugh:

One of their suggested trades: Harden and Dotel for Gordon and Vasquel and $8mil cash. That is utterly hilarious. And everyone keeps talking Vasquel and $8mil cash. Am I missing something? I'm reading this guy has 3 yrs on his contract at $10.5mil, $11.5mil and $12.5mil, respectively. And they think that is a good deal for Harden ... whom I have to believe is an untouchable and our future ace ... then they want us to throw in Dotel too. :) :) :)

This is another one of their amazing deals: First they deal Posada for 2 good prospects. Then they send us the prospects and Kevin Brown ... Kevin Brown, mind you ... for Huston Street. Now that is downright hysterical. :):):)

Oh, and I think one of those deals, we also throw in Blanton.

All of these proposed deals coming out of NY (both Mets & Yankees) for one of our pitchers, is already tiresome and, alas, it's just begun. And of course, it's no longer just one of our aces, they want us to throw in Dotel or Street, too. Well, guess there is no crime in dreaming.

The other funny part is, the guy mentioned what a great pen they would have with Dotel, Street, Rivera, Karsay. Now, can anyone recall how many years it's been since Steve Karsay pitched in a major league game? Talk about having it made in a shade, the guy's been pulling down $5mil per and hasn't pitched in probably 4 years!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 09:16 pm:

I really, really hope noone wants to deal with the Yanks and they get stuck with the same old aging decrepit pitching staff. They deserve to suck!

Now the interview with Baker was tremendous, not with the questions mind you but the response. The kid is bright and articulate, two words not generally associated with jocks. To top it off he is a catcher so I say hell if does not make to or in the bigs the A's should retain him as a coach and let him work his way up trough the minors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 09:35 pm:

Yeh, I thought exactly the same as you, washfan. Very articulate in his responses. But, hey, he's a CAL guy and they have a great football team this year. :) Fact, a case can be made they are the only sports team we've had in the Bay Area this year, to get excited over.

I also agree about the Yankee's overpaid and ageing staff ... you can throw in a few everyday players there, too. By the way, I see where Mussina will be pulling down $19mil this next season. Geez, you look at stuff like that and Vasquel's salary and find it difficult to believe that Hudson doesn't see it, too. It will be real interesting to see what Pedro gets this winter. Wonder if Huddy will wait to see, before he makes any decisions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 11:00 pm:

It will be real interesting to see what Pedro gets this winter.

According to a radio report today, Boston's initial offer is a two year deal for $25 million, with a third year (option) @ $13 million.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 08:43 am:

I think Pedro would be wise to take that deal. Course, who knows what kind of wild offer Gorgie will make, if he can't get at least two or three of the starters he wants. As I said before, I'd rather see Pedro stay on the east coast than in Anaheim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 01:21 pm:

No Pedro in Anaheim, PLEASE!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 05:31 pm:

Read somewhere that Pedro is also considering the Cards. From the feedback I hear from my buddies in MO, they are dismayed ---they do not want any piece of Pedro at all. They think that he is a total nutbag, and on the decline....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By goldtymer on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 10:58 pm:

"Shortstop Omar Quintanilla was hitting .390 in 17 games."

They DID mention Quintinella.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 08:30 am:

If they mentioned it in the last email, I overlooked it. He did have his average up to .417 or thereabouts, last week, however.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By soxxinny on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 06:42 pm:

I think we can safely say that Pedro Martinez, on the decline or not, is STILL better than any starter St. Louis put on the mound in the WS.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.