Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

ESPN's Strange Oakland Hate Complex

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: ESPN's Strange Oakland Hate Complex
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 11:38 am:

I was watching the ESPYs (I know, it's beyond ridiculous that it's taken me this long to watch a show from July), and they ran a montage of great game finishes, starting with the Gibson home run (narrated by Evil Empire flack Billy Crystal):

"The guys in the white hats won again. The big bad rustlers (?) of Oakland had to stand there while the good guys won again."

Unfreakingbelievable. Totally gratuitous Oakland bashing. Crystal could have said something innocuous, like "The chips were down, but they fought the good fight and came out on top." Where does this animosity come from?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 12:37 pm:

A's fans are so petty, who gives a dam what is written.

at that time we were the favorites the great mucsle team yes we were the bad guys if you go by everyone loves an underdog.

good writing billy crystal you said it like it was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By 5thtimethecharm on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 03:16 pm:

Well, I'm offended that our national sports channel sees fit to call my team the bad guys. If they wanted to portray the story as Underdog Beats Favorite, that would have been fine. But portraying it as a story of Good overcoming Evil is an affront to my sensibilities.

The other two "big finishes" in the ESPY montage were Laettner's GW shot in the Duke-Kentucky game and the 1980 "Miracle on Ice". Somehow, the Soviets get off BETTER than the A's: they're labelled "bullies." As for Kentucky, they aren't labeled big bad anything. There's something going on here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 03:20 pm:

You mean somebody watches the ESPYs? Until I read this, I had no idea about anything which occurred during the program and I have no idea who won what. I have almost as little interest in that show as I do the Academy Awards. And that is zero.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 03:44 pm:

I know what you're saying, 5thtime. It's a subtle thing. But it's there.

As for the "good guy" L.A. Dodgers ... After Game 4 of that '88 World Series, I saw Kirk Gibson scream profanities at an 8-year-old who had politely asked for his autograph outside of the Coliseum. Good guys, my a*%.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 04:27 pm:

I know about Gibson, he's the biggest ass when you talk to those who played against him and the media weren't big fans of him either.

What a bad moment for Eck.

He'll always be rememebered mostly for the 88 Game 1 walk off job he served up to Gibson and Eck is opposite of Gibson, one of the classiest guys in the game especially after going through what he had to endure after the drinking problems. Eck, instead of hiding out or leaving early after Game 1, did the stand up job of answering questions that same night about the hr. How many other players would do that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 03:45 pm:

WHO WANTS TO BE A F*CKIN' GOOD GUY!!!
What is this...WWE Wrestling. Its awesome to know we've got enemies. This club has always been about Bad Boys. The championship teams in the 70's. The BASH BROTHERS with HIGHEST PAID MLB BAD BOY Jose Canseco... Giambi, Stairs and the loose locker room.

The Oakland team of 1988 was cocky as hell...(which I love)... we were supposed to crush them. Dodgers were the underdog. They spanked us. The favorite is always the BAD GUY.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 11:27 pm:

This is another reason the Kendall deal is good for the A's. Now we have two guys ... Kotsay and Kendall... who are in "your face" type of guys who will scrap and do anything else they need to to win. I don't know about anybody else, but not only is our guys never getting beyond the first round for 4 years depressing, they never looked like they wanted it badly enough. Whether it was the Yankees, Twins, Sox, it seemed that when the chips were down, our guys were more likely to walk off with tails btw. legs instead of getting in the face of the opposition and showing a little cockiness ... like they believed in themselves.

I've never been much of a proponent for arrogance and cockiness, but sometimes you have to stand up to the opposition and let them know you believe in yourself. Those 3 teams I mentioned, literally shoved it in our guys' faces and our guys never gave it back, IMO.

And maybe some of Kotsay and Kendall will rub off on Chavez. I think Crosby and Swisher may show some of that "in your face" attitude in the future, as well. Personally, I think our team has been too "nice" for far too long. We need more Tim Hudsons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 12:41 am:

I wonder what our "Baby Huey" Kentuckey boy Blanton will be like on the mound? Anyone see him pitch in Sacto? Does he challenge hitters & move them off the plate? During his few outings in the bigs he looked poised but yet bewildered at times. You gotta admit he has that pudgy young big boy look about him like in the toons I watched as a child.

The only problem with winning is that it means Ken "Comotose" won't be fired!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 08:44 am:

Hah! "Baby Huey". Haven't heard that in years; but you're right, physically he does seem to fit the mold. I know I was surprised when I saw him. Just as long as he can pitch, though, I don't care. But he'd better be careful, the weight problem wasn't exactly kind to Sid Fernandez and it has surely impeded Sidney Ponson's pitching prowess.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.