Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Mark Ellis

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Mark Ellis
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ws9 on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 10:42 am:

Anyone else wondering about Mark in light of the Barry Larkin, Marcus Giles and Palanco rumors? It seems to me that Mark is a quality second baseman and that this is a position that we don't need to worry about. The money would seem better spent on a rightfielder or other position. Are they concerned that he is not going to be healthy. If he is not healthy he may need surgery after all and would then miss another year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 12:03 pm:

I'm with you. Ellis was solid -- he earned the 2b job back when someone had to step up (much like Scutaro last year).

How badly do we need an upgrade at 2b, and what sort of a sacrifice are we willing to make to get it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanehead on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 01:40 pm:

I'm an Ellis fan as well. But that fact remains that he WAS solid...we don't know if he is anymore due to his injury. Given all this talk about a new 2B, his recovery must not be going as smoothly as we all have hoped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 03:18 pm:

It does, in fact, have to do with their concerns about his health. After 3 wks in the instructional league it was apparent he was nowhere close to ready. The A's really like Ellis, and his defense is 2nd to none. But I believe they have major concerns about his throwing arm and whether he'll be able to do the job this season. Not having surgery could have some huge repercussions. I hope not, but it's quite possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 03:19 pm:

something could be up - cause I thought BB was a big Ellis fan. I know his defense was always superb - it was his hitting that needed work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 03:33 pm:

Exactly, Asch. HIs glove kept him in the lineup, not his bat (at least in 2003). If he can't make the throw, then he is essentially worthless, because his bat is eminently replaceable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 03:56 pm:

Agreed. And undoubtedly, that is exactly what has the brass concerned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 10:11 am:

Well, Placido would be a fine FA pick up if we can get it done for cheap. Then Ellis can recoup and Scutaro is a great backup/utility guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By orangeman on Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 03:40 pm:

The thing you have to remember is that Ellis showed some nice pop in 2002 (remember the 3 run jimmy-jack that made the score close against the Twins?) But how will the year off affect his timing? That's the big question.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.