Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Joan Ryan: Legalize steroids

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Joan Ryan: Legalize steroids
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanehead on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 07:18 pm:

I don't happen to agree with this, but I generally find Joan Ryan's column to be a good read; she's reasonable, even-handed, and thought-provoking. This one, I'm sure, is going to generate a lot of letters to the editor.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/12/12/BAGJ0AAI981.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 07:54 pm:

Here is the article I sent Joan:

Joan,
Interesting article on legalizing steroids.
While I agree that steroids should be legal, as I believe all drugs in this country should be legal (probably the subject of another discussion), if I were running baseball I would not allow them. Also, you overlooked a few points. We all know Giambi (and most likely Bonds) was on HGH as well as steroids. HGH is NOT a steroid. HGH definitely messages with your pituatary gland- the gland that produces natural growth hormone. It is NOT a coincidence that Giambi got cancer in that very place.

The reason I would not allow steroids in baseball is that it DOES have many side affects. It still causes many health problems, including heart problems, mood swings, early mortality, etc. Also, it clearly gives players a huge unfair advantage over their predisesors, and we would have to have 2 categories of records to distinguish this.

Also, our high school and little league athletes would feel compelled to take these drugs to keep up. Ask any doctor, steroids before you are full grown is VERY dangerous.

If I'm commissioner, I make sure steroids are not part of my game.
For the U.S.? Legalize, and conduct numerous unbiased tests on the drugs that show ALL of the benefits and side effects they cause.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 08:53 pm:

Hormones and steroids are not banned and medical doctors prescribe them every day to patients who have hormone defficient conditions or diseases that presents muscle loss etc.

Forget the issue of anabodic steroids in sports for a moment.

What would happen to a person (models) who want to lose weight and starts to take thyroid hormone to speed up their metabolism to get thin without having to starve themselves...
a doctor would be criminal to prescribe hormone to induce hyperthyroidism when a person does not have a thyroid problem. The side effects are too dangerous, some irreversible.

Too much of a 'good thing' can be dangerous and that is exactly what these athletes are willing to do to their bodies in order to compete at a higher level.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.