Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Huddy is gone.......

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Huddy is gone.......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tradebait11 on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 03:37 pm:

this sucks :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By hubbard88 on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 03:45 pm:

This is a f'ng joke. I would have rather had him for the year and then have had him walk then this. Awesome three crappy players for the best player we have. If this comes out as well as the Rhodes and Kielty deals last year I can't wait to watch the A's be in last place

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dansward on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 03:51 pm:

"three crappy players"

I don't love the deal, but that's overkill. Meyer is a top pitching prospect, Cruz gives immediate help to the pen, and Thomas was the top hitter in the International League when he was called up last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tradebait11 on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 03:55 pm:

jose ortiz was a top prospect and adam piatt led the league in everything in AAA......

i guess we can only sit and waitt o see what happens but i don't like to see a guy like Huddy get traded for prospects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 04:01 pm:

Yes Cruz is good.
However this deal looks terrible at first glance.
But just like every other Billy deal, it may come back later as a genius trade so let's keep our trust in Billy.
Still, I can't help but think all we get for TIM HUDSON is 3 minor leaguers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 04:13 pm:

Cruz isn't a minor leaguer for what it's worth. He was in the majors all of last season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 04:42 pm:

pathetic. hudson is one of the most dominant pitchers in the LEAGUE... in the past 5 years. And yes, we did get absolutely shit for him. And he's our LEADER.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 05:13 pm:

good point yc, my bad.

I'm very disappointed but I think we should just let the initial shock blow over and shift into "wait and see" mode.

I'm not buying that Schott and Beane are mailing in the season. If they were why did Beane trade for Kendall?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bloggsy on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 06:01 pm:

all the bulldogs go. first giambi, then miggy, now huddy. what i'd like to know is why beane sticks around working for our cheapskate ownership and their economics. i have to think it is dispiriting for club morale to know that eventually, if you're any good, you'll be forced out. experience is what gets you rings. deadend street - it doesn't matter whether this one or that is a beane miracle. the overall curve is struggle. At least Huddy gets to go back to the south. Perhaps that was a Beane sign of respect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By scottfromoz on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 06:18 pm:

With Huddy and Dye gone, that means we have $11M to spend on a high impact OF that could produce .300 avg 40+ HR and 130 RBI. This is what we really need....some presence in the lineup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 07:16 pm:

"that means we have $11m to spend."

No, we don't. You can figure Dye's $ is going to Chavez, whose new contract starts this year. Anything left, will go to the arb-eligible players ... Dotel & Durazo and maybe Byrnes. But I understand they are talking to SD re a reliever and Byrnes' name has been mentioned. So, we shall see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 09:23 pm:

Speaking of leaders & firey guys being gone; if Byrnes gets dealt I may not tune in this season!

My thought was F-it! Kepp Huddy the whole season & take one last shot or if we were out of it at the deadline then deal him. I sure hope Harden is up to the challenge of becoming our #1. I hope Blanton is up for the ROY challenge. The only potential bright spot is that when we are stuck in last place this season that BB will give Ken Cacah his pink slip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandfasho510 on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 11:22 pm:

Well, I think it was better to just let him go,since he was eventually leaving anyway. After all that us A's fans have been through we should ask ourselves; Do we rather give him the boot or let him give us the boot? like A's superstars in the past. If someone asked me that question, I would tell them that I rather for us to give him the boot because another whole season is not worth cheering for someone who we will boo the next season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 12:19 am:

You would boo him?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By scottfromoz on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 04:36 am:

The biggest tradegy out of all this is not the depth of our rotation...which will be fine. Its that I have an A's jersey with Hudsons name and number on the back. Its worthless now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bloggsy on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 05:15 am:

Hey at least he'll be pitching in the NL - not against us. I suppose that's something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tradebait11 on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:05 am:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1947932

great article on the trade

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 11:13 am:

I'm so depressed, I can't stand it. It was bad enough yesterday, but seeing the local newspaper headlines really brings me down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandcrazy on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 11:58 am:

I wish that we played the Braves at home this year so we could give Hudson a proper goodbye. At least we had a chance to cheer for Miguel last year. Maybe we will need to wait for the WS to see Hudson at the Net again.

So sad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 08:01 pm:

Those of you who think the A's should have kept Huddy around ONE MORE YEAR are just DENSE. And over-emotional--
I think it was the best thing for the A's.... Huddy would have left like all the rest. At least the A's got three prospects. Had the A's kept him like some of you desire, he would have left and the A's would have NOTHING....Why should he stay? For one more year of second place?? We all know that the A's are never going to try to bring in a big bat like the Angels and the M's are doing. The A's are done. The hope is that they suck so stinking bad and the gate is so poor because they suck that Schott realizes he will never make any money and will sell the team to a baseball person who wants to bring another championship to Oakland. Go get them in Atlanta Huddy and thanks for a great run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:05 pm:

joseozzie you're welcome to voice your opinion like others around here, but because somebody doesn't agree with your opinion, isn't worthy of general name calling. So, I will return the favor, YOU are the DENSE one around here. I sometimes like CAPS, too. :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 12:20 am:

I am sorry. Just tired of fans of the A's who obvioulsy know who they are rooting for. One of the cheapest teams in baseball.
To say that Beane should have kept Huddy for one more year is really silly--once again, he would have left next year and the A's would get nothing. You know who you root for...so when management makes a decision that we all know is coming, to complain about it feels dense.

Deeeejay, do YOU feel as though the A's should have kept huddy for another year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 08:31 am:

Huddy was not ours to keep. We were just kidding ourselves last year, playing "Which of the Big Three would we sign?", so much so that we managed to convince ourselves that the team would keep Huddy and let the rest of them walk.

While I would not put it in such strong terms as joseozzie, I do feel that there is a measure of denial going on, and many of is are only beginning to deal with the reality of the situation. This is what the board is for: a place to vent and work through our frustrations.

While I would have MUCH prefered a Yhency Brazoban (Oh Yhency!), Antonio Perez and Edwin Jackson deal, I am willing to see how things pan out with these new Atlanta kids.

I am happy that Huddy finally gets to hit, and will probably have a lock on the Silver Slugger award for several years. I only wish that we have an opportunity to say goodbye to him, like the way we did with Miggy. Huddy was a totally class guy who played hard for us, and was a credit to our organization.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 09:07 am:

Quite honestly, joseozzie, no I don't think they should have kept Hudson (even though I literally cried over reading some of his comments). I said all along if they can't afford him, deal him for some young help. Translated: A young right handed everyday player with some pop. And I think most fans here recognize that; but it's what we got for him and the doubt of their being able to have any impact, like we would have hoped for, right away. Prospects are prospects ... hardly worthy of one of the top pitchers in the game. So, all the wrath over the deal certainly seems warranted.

Sorry, I came down a little hard on you, but hopefully you got the point. People voicing their opinions ... agree with them or not ... does not warrant being dissed by others for those opinions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:31 am:

No, I don't think they should have dealt Huddy, at least not for that. I would have let him play out the year and take the two draft picks rather than trade him for three prospects. I'd rather have a year of Huddy to make another run at it, and two high picks, than three "maybes".

If dealing Huddy could have netted us a deal that would have improved our chances for next year, then okay. But it didn't. We've got two years left of Mulder and Zito, which represents our best shot to win it all (even though that chance has been vastly diminished due to the loss of Huddy) and we're basically throwing away on of those years.

Will these three guys contribute sooner than the two picks? Of course. Will they be better than the two picks? Maybe, probably, since they already have a good track record. But we had ligtning in a bottle with these three guys, and if we think we're just going to manufacture that again, we're just fooling ourselves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 02:37 pm:

Well it's obvious that Beane could not get anyone better than these three guys for this star pitcher. If he could have, he would have...
(that is unless you, as some others on this site, feel as though there is some grand conspiracy within the MLB to bring down the Oakland Athetics)

Ya see, there is a reason that Billy is the General Manager of the Oakland A's and we are posting to a fan's website. He knows what he is doing, and we really have no clue what it takes to run a baseball team....but it sure is easy to criticize...I have surely done it before---and will again...it is my right as a fan---but I still have no clue how to oversee a team and would never claim as I did--

I am glad that finally Huddy will be on a team that knows how to win, and watch...they will sign him before the year is up--he is from Georgia.

Thanks for the great memories TimmyHud, we will miss you...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 04:05 pm:

oh yeah, the Braves have really shown they know how to win the WS...with a lot more payroll than the A's right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 11:29 pm:

I think Huddy is from Alabama. And one reason Beane couldn't get anybody better is that because a number of the young stud players on a number of teams are up for arbitration. And Schott is soooo cheap, that that was even a no-no. Giles excepted. He was pulled off the table because they lost Drew and subsequently could not afford to lose any more offense. It was Beane who reopened the discussions with them.

Atlanta is pretty much in the same boat as we are, moneywise with AOL ownership and pretty much falling out of postseason each year after the first round ... just like we. But they may be able to afford an extension for Huddy, especially if they can deal Andruw Jones and his contract, and they are trying to. If the Yankees fail to sign Beltran, it could be they will be Jones' destination.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.