Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Charles Thomas

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Charles Thomas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lukeman on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 07:49 am:

Hello everyone. This is my first post ever, but I have been a reader for a while. I am a big A's fan in Virginia.

First, I would like to say that I am very sorry about seeing Hudson go. He is a one of a kind pitcher that will be missed. What I am going to say about Thomas has nothing to do with how I feel about the trade.

I have had the opportunity to watch Thomas play live a few times, and I love the guy. Pure, unadulterated hustle. No way will he and the other two in the trade take the place of Hudson, but A's fans are going to fall in love with him. Someone in another post compared him to Long. No way! This guy has a ton of heart and plays the game the way it is supposed to. At one game I was at, a throw from right to third base got passed the third basemen, and Thomas, who was playing left, was there to back up the throw. How many times do you see that from a left fielder? He does that kind of thing all the time. Always hustling. I think the A's need some players like him, and I think you guys are going to like him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 08:11 am:

Hustle is good. Found this espn write-up on him:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1850780

Hmm... reminds me a bit of Eric Byrnes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 08:52 am:

We have a guy just like him... Eric Byrnes but Eric has a better bat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lukeman on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 09:24 am:

Granted, Thomas has only played half of a season, but I think his bat is every bit as good as Byrnes, and his defense is awesome. His OPS last year(half a season) was .813 and Byrnes was .797. Thomas is the kind of player that would have crawled back, with or without a leg, to home plate in Game 3 versus Boston. In my opinion, he is an overall better player than Byrnes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakfan on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 09:25 am:

If he is not in a major slump.

Sorry but from a distance, this Thomas looks like more of a legit baseball player. Byrnes is just an athletic guy who hustles a lot and has the occasional brain freeze.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:03 am:

This Thomas LOOKS like more of a legit baseball player. Looks can be very deceiving. Byrnes played great defense for us last year and i do not think Thomas can match his numbers offensively. Thomas, granted is probably better in the field but I will take Byrnes anyday over another rookie that hasn't played a full year

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:28 am:

Occasionally?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dansward on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:31 am:

If no other move is made (and I hope one is made), there are plenty PAs among Byrnes, Thomas, Swisher in LF/RF and giving Kotsay, Durazo, and Hatteberg a rest. I figure just about 600 apiece if Kotsay, Durazo, and Hatte each gets 20 games of rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:36 am:

Byrnes vs Thomas, I'd think if we can find a righthanded basher...Gonzalez, makes having Thomas over Byrnes easier to take.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:52 am:

Oh your absolutely right Raider but when you only have one guy that is capable of hitting over thirty homeruns every offensive bit helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By whoknows77 on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 11:51 am:

Ruby and Crosby are certainly capable of hitting over 30 homeruns, so is Swish, for that matter ... Ruby is, of course, much more likely to do it this year.

Byrnes v Thomas w/ the bat = wash
Byrnes v Thomas w/ the leather = no comparison, Thomas is much, much better. He has all of Byrnes' athleticism, but he actually runs in the right direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 12:02 pm:

So now the A's are going to dump Byrnesey as well? Are they trying to totally destroy their fan base?

Very sad today, shamefully took down my Oakland A's Tim Hudson poster at work :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakfan on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 12:03 pm:

"He has all of Byrnes' athleticism, but he actually runs in the right direction."

whoknows77 - you nailed it with this line!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 12:09 pm:

hey - quit it with the Byrnes bashing. Me and asch are in no mood for it. If Byrnes hadn't been on the team the past 2 years, we wouldn't have made the playoffs in 2003 and finished 2nd in 2004, no question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 12:51 pm:

RFF that's quite the general statement. You could say that about many players on the A's. Of course if you take one key contributer from a team and don't replace him it would cost the team some wins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakfan on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 12:59 pm:

If we didn't have Byrnes we might have won in the playoffs against the Redsox.

" . . . if I only had a brain"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 05:40 pm:

How many Errors did Byrnes have this year?... I will solve it for you not many.

Byrnes Vs. Thomas = Wash
Are you kidding me! Look at the stats, Byrnes is much better. Don't kid yourself

Will someone tell Thomas relatives to stop writing on these posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 05:55 pm:

I like Byrnes.

He plays the game like Johnny Knoxville.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 07:33 pm:

nm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 03:40 am:

Don't forget me as a huge Byrnes supporter! How dare you little ****** sitting behind a computer screen bringing up Byrnes not touching home! Byrnsie had a collsion at full speed with a bull of a man and took one hard on the shin. I have had something similar happen to me and let me tell you the pain can be very disorienting. BTW his bat was hot in that series and he contributed more than Chavey or Miggy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 08:16 am:

I like Byrnes, no argument about that. However, Byrnesie's market value is going up, while Johnson is dead cheap. I worry that Byrnesie will one day to too expensive for us (Schott happens).

However, would it not be nice if we could have Byrnesie and Johnson running around the outfield like rabbits on meth, chasing down Zito's long fly balls?

By the way, STOP harping on Johnson. The kid's A ROOKIE. You are talking about him as if he was a 10 year washed up veteran who cannot hit a home run off a batting tee.

Trust me: if the Johnson kid whiffs miserably, I will be the first to duct tape him to the foul pole at the Oakland Coli. But only after I use Schott's head as a batting tee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 08:39 am:

Well, it's looking more and more like we can expect Byrnes to be dealt before Monday (arb deadline). According to Slusser, this morning, many teams are interested ... and he's due for a big bump in $ this year. So, it looks like the week is about to get sadder. Merry Christmas, A's fans; not many great pkgs. under our tree, but we're providing some for other teams and their fans.

Oakchick, don't you mean Thomas in lieu of Johnson?

So, a team in dire need of right-handed pop has become more left handed heavy (sans the pop) and it's looking more and more to me, that Dan Johnson will not be a part of the lineup this season. Oops, pardon me .. I forgot, we still have Kielty to platoon with Thomas. Wonderful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:00 am:

Byrnes has been a tremendous addition to this team.

Sorry, just can't stand ******* byrnes bashing - if you are gonna say something, say something that is true - but EB has exceeded expectations and been solid.

Hell, are you telling me you felt better about Dye coming up to the plate last year in the second half over Byrnes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:25 am:

I think it's fair to say that that "play" may have cost us the series against the Sox, but Bynres' overall performance certainly didn't do anything to hurt our chances. There were a lot of plays that cost us that series: Miggy not running it out, Bynres not touching home, Harden giving up the bomb to Nixon, every single time Miggy or Chavvy came to the plate in a crucial situation, Ortiz' double off Foulke, Manny's bomb, etc., etc.

[On a side note, remember Byrnes almost hit a grand slam in Game 4 but sliced it just outside Pesky's Pole? Excrutiating.]

The sight of Huddy in a Braves cap at the Atlanta press conference makes me want to puke. Sounds like he's on the verge of signing an extension there already. I hope he wins 5 Cy Youngs there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:35 am:

I think it is very unfair to blame Byrnes for that playoff loss. I can think of several people who should be in line for criticism before Byrnes.

And I really can't see how some folks here can make a comparison between Byrnes and a totally unproven player with not even half a season of major league experience. Thomas wasn't even on the Braves' radar screen as a prospect at the start of last year's season.

C'mon, you guys are so anxious and eager to apologize for Schott and Beane that you lose some perpective of what is going on here...

This move was a money saving move and the team is NOT better with the trade. Even Beane admits to that so why try to paint this trade as a huge positive when it is far from that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:51 am:

Perfectly put Lil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 11:11 am:

lil,
You're correct. But if you don't try to put a positive spin on this you'll get way depressed. Anyway, the real loss is the bay area community. Huddy was so active in it...definately out of the stew mold. Anyway, time to watch "Champions by the Bay" b/c this is way sad. Need a pick-me-upper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 12:37 pm:

Didn't Byrnes and Guillen both hit over .400 in the Sox/A's series? If Varitek gets called for interference like he should have, Byrnes missing HP is of no consequence. Besides, there were enough goofs to go around. Unfortunately, that seemed to be common in all their postseason series. :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 12:42 pm:

okplayer,

I don't see the bashing of Eric Byrnes as a positive spin on anything. On the contrary, that's what I find most depressing. How can fans turn on a guy when he was several times the only sign of life this team had, playing hurt and always giving his all... and hitting when almost the entire team, with few exceptions, was just going through the motions. So what if he is not a future hall of famer and has his goofy moments...
I'm sure glad we had him on our team and I hope he doesn't get traded...the A's can use his fighting spirit, especially in a rebuilding year like we're going to face next year.

This guy Thomas may turn out to be a great player, and I hope for the A's that he is, but he is still very unproven and I hate to see fans try to ease the pain of Hudson's trade by trashing a player like Byrnes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ws9 on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 12:45 pm:

While Varitek probably should have been called for interference the blown call by the umps on the Miggy play is what still sticks with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakfan on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 01:36 pm:

I have no problem with people disagreeing with my opinion but the name calling is uncalled for. Attacking my opinion is O.K. but attacking me is not cool.

Lil, I am surprised that you let such statements and in some cases, language, continue on this site!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 02:14 pm:

oakfan,

my bad, I just didn't read a couple of those posts when I read the thread...sorry

hope I deleted all the offensive stuff...

I hope people don't continue turning their anger on eachother every time we lose a fan favorite. One would think we'd get use to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 02:58 pm:

Varitek made a good play. I'd love to have a guy like that on my team. No one ever gets called for interference on that as long as there's a play at the plate. EVER. He's blocking the plate, waiting for the throw. That's what catchers are coached to do...take a step or half-step up from the plate, plant yourself, get the throw, tag the guy out and hold onto the ball. The throw was a bit late, but there was a play at the plate.

Byrnes hurt himself on that play, got disoriented, and couldn't compose himself enough to remember to touch the plate. Fine. It was one of many plays that cost us that series.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 03:15 pm:

The Byrnes supporters vs. the Byrnes bashers might be the most tired topic on this board.

I guess I'm a "basher" just because I think he's insanely overrated by some A's fans. League average corner outfeidlers aren't hard to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktowngreen on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 04:52 pm:

A player with his intensity rubs off on a team. Byrnes will hustle on the field, hit 20+ dingers, drive in 70, and lead the team in stolen bases. He is always one of the first players to congradulate another player on an RBI or homerun at the top of the dugout stairs. The guy is great!!! Kids playing ball should learn from him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 05:47 pm:

I think kids could learn a lot more from the Texas Bullpen.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.