Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Schott/Contraction

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Schott/Contraction
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 05:58 pm:

Isn't interesting after the subject of contraction comes up again with Expos/Senators debacle, the A's trade two of their biggest name players? Maybe Schott realizes he'll never get his dream of moving the team to San Jose so might as well cash out big with getting the team contracted after 2006.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By buzz on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 06:07 pm:

Naaah. These moves make sense. This IS Moneyball. Replace expensive tenured players with young, cheap talent, OR with vets who are undervalued. When the smoke clears, and Zito is gone, we'll have three or four young pitchers who will be A's for a long while and some great young position talent to go along with Chavez, Swisher, and Crosby. These deals HAD TO HAPPEN. This is for the good of franchise. We had a team that was a championship contender for 5 seasons. Now we take a step back, reload, and build a team to contend through 2010. That is what is going on here. Like I said, the real star was Hudson, but he was out the door. WOULD YOU SIGN THAT GUY TO A $14 MILLION CONTRACT?? After watching these pitchers get injured every season? No way. And I love Huddy. I think he's the greatest pitching talent that the A's had since Catfish Hunter. Zito and Mulder are not what they were a couple of seasons back. Neither of them could get anybody good out the last three months of last season. It hurts to say, but that was the truth. They were getting pounded by good teams....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lazyslob on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 07:08 pm:

With a team salary half that of the major players, the chances are slim that the A's can seriously compete. We'll never have depth in the bullpen or the big sticks sitting on the bench that the big market teams can afford. Prospects and undervalued vets are nice and all... but being able to drop $40mil on a setup reliever without batting an eye would help quite a bit.

There will occasionally be exceptions to the rule (like the Marlins) but wouldn't it be nice to actually be a contender instead of an anomaly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 08:03 pm:

Thank you Buzz, for talking some sense around here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 08:49 pm:

Moneyball or not.

This ownership is probably the most likely to sell out the powers of MLB to contract the A's so they could make even more money.

These guys are freakin billionaires and they're acting like cheap asses who say they don't have any money.

Two of the Big 3 leaving in 3 days, this ownership is screwing this city and fanbase and always had and will.

Bitches!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 09:54 pm:

Steve Schott is an atrocious owner. These moves make little baseball sense. These moves stink and the only thing that makes sense is Schott/Selig want the A's to be a contraction candidate again in 2006.

They WANT us to stop going to A's games in Oakland. Let's not give them what they want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:18 pm:

let me tell you something it does nto matter if you go to games or not if baseballl and schott agree to contract then it will happen, this is where Lil is wrong suporting the A's has nothin to do with what will happen to them in the future, did we not draw 2.2 mill? yes great attendance but schott never kept his word so no matter if you get season tix or not the owNers will do whatever the hell they want.

DO NOT BUY SEASON TIXS IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A DIFF!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:27 pm:

Yeah, just concede that the team is gone. That will show them.

Sacto, you kill me. If you had a clue, you would be dangerous!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:37 pm:

OUCH!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 11:45 pm:

I love Huddy. He's one of my favorite players ever.

But in all honesty, I think Beane is a genius and he's done the right thing.

If we signed Hudson, Mulder and Zito, at best we'd have the same team we had last year; one that didn't even make the playoffs (does everyone remember the Big Three's performance last year?)

And if things didn't turn out as planned, we'd be in a financial hole for years to come with no room to improve. Imagine if we had signed Giambi.

Instead, we've now got a fresh and exciting team of new talent and anything can happen.

I'm far more excited going into this spring training than I was going into last year's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 11:52 pm:

F*** Schott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 12:01 am:

Buzz, I think I have agreed with about everything you have said re: the Mulder/Huddy trade topics - which makes it easier for me to state here than to retort to every post I have seen. I will get a couple thoughts together and post shortly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By filthyslurve on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 02:44 am:

I agree with buzz as well. I honestly think this is Kendall's team now, and Kotsay has spoken up like a leader. They are exactly the type of guys we've needed to win. And Crosby will be mentioned in the Jeter category: not the greatest numbers but a real team guy. I'd like to see Kendall tell Brendan Donnelly to shove it up his ass, and get nasty with the Rangers.

Our chances really depend on Eric Chavez being a MVP candidate. That's what he's getting paid for, isn't it?

If this group gels, all new, with winners coming up from Sacto, under Kendall's leadership...I honestly think we compete next year. All of you naysayers are crazy. This is a shock, but it freshens the team and we are better across the lineup, not just defined by the Big Three.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 05:52 am:

Yeah, because pitchers and teams are real scared of that lineup....real powerful

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakchick on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 07:37 am:

People got real scared of last year's Yanks too - nice lineup, remember? Look where it go those losers.

Now that I have some time to think about it, I can post without using the f-word.

All in all, I am not surprised by the move, in the light of the rise in free agent prices this season. I was a bit surprised that Mulder went before Zito.

As for life without the Big Three - we KNOW what it is like: it will be like 2004.

1.With Huddy going down, Mulder melting down and Zito not pitching well, it is hard to say we ever had a Big Three going.

2.To throw an additional monkey wrench into the works, we had the worst bullpen that blew a lot of games we were supposed to win.

3.We had a streaky offense that would score 11 runs one game and none the next.

How did we do? Not good but not terrible. We missed the payoffs by one game because.....the bullpen blew the game.

So what have we got in 2005?

1. We do not have the Big Three, but we still have a good solid piece from last year: Rich Harden. As for Zito, that's a wild card right now.

2. We got a better bullpen. That's got to be worth something.

3. Our offense is another wild card, but it could not be worse. I mean, it was never very good. We do have a bulldog veteran catcher, for what that's worth.

So what have we got? I think we will still have a nice season, although we may not make the playoffs. The thing to watch out is that the Mariners have gotten better and the Rangers are no longer the doormats of the AL West. It will probably take 90 wins to take the Division, simply because all 4 teams in the AL West will be duking it out with each other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 09:22 am:

I just hope all you happy campers show up at the ballpark.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.