Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Kendalls reaction

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Kendalls reaction
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:45 pm:

ESPN radio 710 in Los Angeles is reporting that newly acquired A's catcher Jason Kendall was eating dinner at a swanky West LA Restraunt when he was informed by his agent by phone that Mark Mulder had been traded to The St.Louis Cardnials
Upon hearing this Kendall picked up a glass of water and heaved it against a wall nearly missing a waitress. Kedall had to be restrained by other guest in his party
Kedall visibly upset was seen leaving the restraunt screaming "Ive been Bamboozled over and over...his wife and children both were seen sitting at the table with tears running down their faces..this reporter over heard one of Kendalls kids ask theri Mom.. "Does this mean were going back to Pittsburgh moomy"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:50 pm:

are you shitting me sacto? can't blame him. love that fire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:52 pm:

I'm ashamed to admit I believed it up until "bamboozled".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:53 pm:

I find this hard to believe. Is this the same reporter who told the Rickey/Olerud story?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:54 pm:

more and more i think of it, that's really f---d up. kendall waived his no-trade clause to win NOW. he totally got jacked. i was thinking we might end up trading him but then again, we don't have a catcher. JK's safe for 05.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:55 pm:

what's the ricky/olerud story?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 11:11 pm:

It was the highly publicized one by ESPN.
As you know, Olerud wears a modified batting helmet when in the field, because of his brain surgery (during college, I believe). He and Rickey played together on the Mets. And when the two were together in Seattle, somebody said Rickey went up to him (or some such) and said, "hey I used to play with a guy who wore his batting helmet on the field." As I recall that is the gist of the story, there may be some blanks in there which someone can fill in.

But, anyway, as this tale made its rounds for some time, they finally, pretty much retracted it as not being true. Which I think most A's fans poo-poohed from the start, anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 11:28 pm:

"hey I used to play with a guy who wore his batting helmet on the field."

To which Olerud purportedly replied: "yeah, man, that was me."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 11:41 pm:

Hey I don't blame Kendall one bit. I hope he holds Beane accountable. Someone should have told him this before the trade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 11:54 pm:

I really don't think Beane knew this was all coming down before the trade. Remember, he answers to Schott. And he's not going to come out and say Schott is the one who changed direction. But you can bet that is what happened. And early on, he did say any offers for any of the Big Three would have to knock his socks off. Schott had different plans, it turns out. Frankly, I wouldn't lay a bit of this on Billy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 11:58 pm:

I usually don't blame Billy but he had to of had some inclination that something was going to have to happen. Kendall is just making to much money, and he knew that we wouldnt be able to afford him and all of our pitchers. I just find it hard to believe that he didnt know there wasnt going to be a backlash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 09:52 am:

Per Susan Slusser's article, Kendall's reaction is considerably different from that described above, I'd say.

On Haren, Calero and Cruz: Kendall raved about them. "Their potential is unbelievable, and it's my job to get the best out of them."

According to Susan, "he wasn't too upset that he wouldn't get the chance to catch Hudson and Mulder and wouldn't compare the A's deals this week with the sort of fire sales that went on when he was with Pittsburgh.

'Billy knows how to win.'"

At least he is saying all the right things. As for Chavez' response ... he was pissed. But we all know Chavy speaks whatever hits his lips first, without thinking. Though I can't fault him, I'm sure those words from the "team leader" (at least in contract terms) could not have been too pleasing to Billy's ears. But in Chavez' behalf, I'm sure he continues to look around for that right handed bat he was supposedly promised.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 10:28 am:

The A's will still win, I think they can be a 85 win team still.

If you're Kendall and you've been on the Pirates your entire career, winning 85 or so games is like Christmas still.

I wouldn't blame Kendall if he was burning up inside just as we A's fans are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 11:33 am:

what did Chavez say???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 11:41 am:

Chavez: "What the hell? I don't understand. I don't know whether to be mad or shocked or what. I wasn't going to step in and say who we should keep, but I think this is getting borderline ridiculous.

This is a whole new revamping of a team. We just lost two of the best pitchers in all of baseball, what are we looking for? I'm totally flustered right now. Who's next? Zito?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 11:56 am:

Of course that is a normal reaction from anybody who follows this team closely. The apologists that saw this firesale as a positive should now start to think twice.

This dismantling, or to be kind, revamping of the team, after signing a catcher like Kendall, makes no sense whats-so-ever! It was just bad timing and Beane probably had not received word from the top prior to the deal with Kendall.

Today's news of change in ownership explains what is happening. Beane has been told to get the payroll ready for the change in ownership and possible relocation or, at the very least the usual city extortion phase of the stadium deals and financing plans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 12:38 pm:

"But in Chavez' behalf, I'm sure he continues to look around for that right handed bat he was supposedly promised."

I'm sure that Schott will tell Chavey that Keith Ginter is the big, RH bat that he was promised.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 12:39 pm:

Don't be silly, Jerry. Haven't you heard the Lou Merloni rumors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 01:00 pm:

Oh, and I have a word for sactodavey.

The steroid issue was really keeping me from even considering going to the ballpark this coming year.

But this firesale and news of change in ownership has influenced my decision in regards to purchasing this year's season tickets.

I just renewed my s.t. because I want to be counted as an Oakland A's supporter. I don't want to show apathy or indifference when I'm ready to fight to keep this team in Oakland where it belongs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 01:14 pm:

I haven't received my renewal forms in the mail yet, so I sent the s.t. folks an e-mail and ended it with: "Was this an oversight, or have I been traded to Atlanta for 3 unproven prospects?"

If I do renew my tix, I'll be holding my nose and clenching my teeth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rickeytonydwayn on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 01:27 pm:

Please don't do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By naomi on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 03:34 pm:

If this is true about Kendall, then the A's have taken three steps down from Miller. There is no class in freaking out your kids by throwing a glass of water against a wall---no matter how "firey" it looks, it is abusive.

Let's hope this is all made up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 04:38 pm:

Who in this day says "bamboozled?" It was obviously made up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 04:49 pm:

Naomi, don't panic. Read Susan Slusser's article today. His quotes and her comments in said article hardly sound like the above reaction you refer to. I think some espn reporter or some such had a lot of time on his hands and was likely "bamboozled" by the trade, himself. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 10:32 pm:

Nice one EY!!

Did you get my voicemail from earlier - when I told you my son will be born in a few weeks and that "maybe Billy will sign him...he's cheap and young".

Better yet, another one I could have used was, "hey, he's not arbitration eligible for a few years..."

and again "you should check out his AAA womb numbers"....

There are oh, so many more..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 10:37 pm:

Hey, Adam, congrats to the father-to-be!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 12:59 am:

Yeah, Adam, cograts! My brother (Beanehead) just had a baby girl on Wednesday. I called him yesterday to tell him that Mulder had been traded. He was like, "Oh really? Damn. I guess they decided to keep Hudson then." I said, "No, dude, they traded Huddy on Thursday." He responded, "Crap. I've only gotten two hours of sleep in the last three days." If the news hadn't been so bad it would have been funny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 08:20 am:

it would have been funny....it's definitely NOT funny...

But still, I am holding out for the large signing bonus for the little guy, once he pops out, within a few days/weeks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By simplefan on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 08:35 am:

Would that be like ground hogs day? Will the ground hog see his shadow when he pops out of his hole?

Oy Vey!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 01:27 pm:

Don't worry, I saw a similar report that, upon hearing Barry Zito had indeed voted for George Boosh, Alyssa Milano heaved a glass of water against the wall of a West LA restaurant and was seen leaving the establishment, screaming "Ive been Bamboozled over and over..."

Zito was seen sitting at the table with tears running down his face..this reporter over heard Zito ask one of the waitresses.. "Does this mean She's going back to Carl Pavano"?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.