Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Wolff to take over A's

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Wolff to take over A's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 09:28 am:

According to Matier & Ross this am, Lewis Wolff will be buying out Hoffman and possibly Schott to take over as the new A's owner. He may bring in John Fisher (son of the Gap founder) as a partner. Lots of talk about a new stadium, but nothing specific.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/12/19/BAG0DAE6F01.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 12:21 pm:

There is something about the Matier column that should soon be sorted out and it is of great importance.

He mentions that Wolff wanted to buy Hofmann's shares but that some feel Schott will be the one to sell now.

Wolff confirmed he was negotiating to buy Hofmann's stake, but was less specific on where he stood in acquiring Schott's share.

However, one source following the moves predicted that Schott would be bowing out soon, or at least taking a back seat.

I have from a very reliable source that Hofmann has repeatedly refused to sell his shares. The same source mentioned that Hofmann considered it an issue of honor.

So this new development in who's calling the shots may be an indication that indeed Schott is going to be the odd man out in this deal.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed because Hofmann wants the team to remain in Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 12:22 pm:

"The same source mentioned that Hofmann considered it an issue of honor."

Good for him. At least someone is trying to live up to the legacy of Walter Haas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 12:40 pm:

The worse and biggest worry about Wolff is his close friendship and connection to Butthead.

There will be nothing Hofmann or anybody can do if Butthead and Wolff has earmarked the A's for relocation or contraction.

In my opinion, I really feel the A's and Oakland A's fans are in deep waters with sharks circling around and smelling the blood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 01:16 pm:

Not to mention Wolff's connections to San Jose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 01:35 pm:

...he has even greater connections to Vegas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland4ever on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 05:50 pm:

At least the possible honor of Hofman offers some hope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ws9 on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 09:05 pm:

The one positve is that the perspective partner Mr. Fisher is I believe from SF. On the surface at least that would make it more likely that the plan is to keep the team local.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ballparkfrank on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 08:21 am:

While we do not know the motives of Wolff, we do know that Steve Schott not only doesn't care about keeping the A's in Oakland, but has also demonstrated disdain for the city.

It is quite clear that no one is satisfied with the status quo --- an owner that underinvests in talent and selfishly desires to move the team to his hometown. Had it not been for the fortuosity of the A's having Billy Beane and the Big Three, our A's would have been permanent residents of last place, in the tradition of the KC A's.

There is certainly risk in a Wolff - Fisher ownership, but isn't it better to take the chance rather than continuing the current misery? Without the potential of a new ballpark in Oakland, the A's are at risk of being re-located regardless of who owns them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.