Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Newhouseisanidiot.com

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Newhouseisanidiot.com
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jtraeg on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 01:47 am:

That has got to be some of the worst baseball analysis i have ever read.This guy probly hasnt even been to a game, let alone read moneyball or learn about how bean has to work wth schotts budget restraints. Shows you how bad news is the only thing these guys want to sell and its a gosh darn shame if u ask me. Who is with me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jtraeg on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 01:49 am:

Or a Giants fan, jelouse bastards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 07:30 am:

Yeh, I read that. I am more and more of the opinion that the Tribune is 2nd class all the way. Some of the crap their writers spew, leaves me shaking my head. It seems the Giants get better coverage in that rag. Conversely, the Chron's coverage of the A's, and its writers are superior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 10:00 am:

what article are you referring to?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 10:40 am:

Newhouse may or may not have been off-base with his column this weekend. But I'm willing to cut him some slack because he's actually one of the few local writers (along with Ratto) who's been willing to rip Selig and Schott a new one when they've deserved it.

Newhouse criticized Selig so severely in 2001 for his "the A's coming to Oakland was horrible" quotes, that Selig actually phoned Newhouse to let the Tribune writer know that he had read his piece and that Selig disagreed with him.

Lastly, while talking to him a handful of times over the years, Newhouse always been a class gentleman. I'm not saying he's above criticism, but over the context of the last several years, Newhouse has been a great supporter of Oakland and of the A's staying here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 10:43 am:

Guess what?

Maybe Newhouse's column was just an knee jerk reaction coming from his heart as an A's fan. It was not a pretty sight.

Maybe he was just as upset as some of us who know what this rebiulding will do for the attendance card agenda. Most of the folks who are saying how much they are going to enjoy the rebiulding are going to enjoy it from home. The casual fans that will be waiting for the next winning season will be waiting at home.

Maybe Newhouse knows and remembers what happened to baseball in Montreal and feels the same could happen to the Oakland A's...even drawing over 2 million there are plenty of people saying Oakland doesn't deserve a team. Imagine when they draw 1 million.

So I'm not going to throw stones at Newhouse because I know how long it took for the A's to develope the home grown pitchers we had in Oakland.

It took 20 years...even going for the free agents like the Haas ownership did, it took 20 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By garyn on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 10:43 am:

Newhouse used to be one of the better writers in the Bay Area and the Trib coverage of the A's was the best. In recent years, Newhouse's writing has gone downhill as he has tried to write more controversial columns and the Trib coverage of local sports is also not as good as it used to be.
Sad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 10:52 am:

Post the article someone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 11:05 am:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/ci_2491614

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 11:57 am:

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 06:26 pm:

I think he has a point...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mulder4cyoung on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:27 pm:

I think he went a little overboard.

1. Harden can be an ace, and proved it last year

2. This was definitely not Beane's idea. He doesn't set the payroll, and while he got Chavvy's deal done, that was about all the big money he could muster

3. "Beane got pitchers Dan Haren and Kiko Calero, and catcher Daric Barton for Mulder. That's like trading Barbra Streisand for the Dixie Chicks." - Comparing Mulder to Streisand is the backhanded compliment of the century. Plus, I wouldn't exactly rate her that highly above the Chicks whereas Mulder is about 8 times better than what we got in return

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:41 pm:

Well, I know I sure felt he didn't put a lot of thought or homework into the article. I got the opinion he had his own agenda, knew what he wanted to say and was going to get it out in the open without letting any of the facts or reasoning behind the deals, get in his way. I can't argue with some of his thoughts and see a guy as frustrated and tired of things as many of us fans. But he showed no objectiveness into why the deals went down, who was really behind them, nor what we may be getting in return,, etc., etc.

In short I saw a column written out of frustration ... solely ... and giving its author a place/means to vent. IMO, poor journalism ... even if it is only a column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:45 pm:

yeah DJ...agreed as usual. What's being lost in the shuffle of these deals is that we acquired two PROVEN releivers in Calero and Cruz. Plus, these prospects sound like they're the S@#$. I too have the most doubts about Blanton, actually. (As probably does BB, hence his desire to go after Haren and Meyer). I can't wait to see Barton in the bigs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 04:20 pm:

C'mon okplayer,

I can accept that Newhouse wrote that column shooting from his hips because, like many pro Oakland A's people, he knows what kind of impact these trades will have on the attendance and how this will play against keeping the team.

And I can accept that some here think it is great fun to have a rebuilding team, without those greedy rich and spoiled superstars yadda...yadda...yadda...

But to try to say that Calero and Cruz are two PROVEN players is a bit of a stretch...

Calero has a total of 83 innings pitched in his two years of experience. And he is already 30yo.

As for Cruz, he's a good power reliever with more eperience who completely crumbled under the presure of post season posting an almost 10 ERA...

I'm not one to cry over spilled milk, but I think people are taking for granted what the A's had in those three guys. It is not every DECADE that a franchise is lucky enough to get three future hall of famers in their rotation...
I think it was a damn shame they were not able to field a team good enough behind that rotation and now I just hope the A's will be lucky enough not to go another 15 or 20 years for a repeat performance.

So, even though Newhouse showed a lot of frustration, I don't think we should rush to kill the messenger. I just hope he is going to be proven wrong. I'm sure Newhouse would like to be able to write a column admitting his was wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 04:43 pm:

I'm not taking those guys for granted. I'm just saying that we received guys with big league experience--and successful experience at that.

As for Huddy and Mulder, we're not trying to downplay their importance...just trying to be optomistic. I for one, would NOT have made the Mulder trade, BTW. Point is Newhouse, had an extreme take on the situation. Also, clearly the guy did not do his homework.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By garyn on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 04:44 pm:

I think the team they fielded was good enough, it just happened to face the Yankee's when they were a tad bit better and then for as good as the Big 3 were, the injury bug hit (Hudson against the Twins; Hudson, Mulder, Foulke against the Sox). Sometimes things just aren't meant to be no matter what you do.

I grew up reading Newhouse. If I thought what he wrote was out of frustration, I could understand that. But I have seen him write more than one of these types of articles over the last few years and I suspect it is more out of the pressure columnists get these days to write controversial stuff. I don't think the Newhouse of 20 to 30 years ago would have written it this way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 05:06 pm:

I agree with virtually everything Lil said. We had lightning in a bottle with these three guys (Harden could have been four), and we let it slip away because we couldn't add to the payroll. When was the last time three starters have been hyped like this? Wood, Prior, Zambrano? Not even close - Wood came up way before the other two, Wood and Prior have already had significant injuries, and Prior and Zambrano don't have enough experience yet. Izzy, Wilson and Pulsipher? A converted closer, a journeyman starter and a guy trying to make his 5th comeback - all of whom had arm injuries. Our three guys actually produced. One of them won a Cy Young, one finished 2nd and the third finished in the top 10 3 times in 5 years.

It was an incredibly fortunate confluence of events that landed us these three guys. We'll be lucky to see another accumulation of pitching talent like that again in our lifetimes.

If we had to trade these guys it seems like Billy did pretty well, more so with the Mulder deal. It's just too bad it had to come to that.

[BTW, any thought that maybe Billy took a bit less to send Huddy to the Braves, rather than to some random team? And he also sent Mulder back to the midwest. And both of them to winning, playoff teams. I think that was a nice, peripheral benefit.]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 05:13 pm:

Big3, great point about who bb shipped the teams to. granted he wants to win but it does show a nice sentiment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 06:57 pm:

garyn,

I have to agree with you that Newhouse has kinda slacked off a bit in the last couple of years...

Even last month he wrote a column actually blaming the fans for the Texas brawl and I really thought he was unfair but who knows, maybe he was just in a bad mood or something.

Speaking of track record for being supportive of the Oakland A's, I think Newhouse is still way on top of the list. So I tend to be very forgiving when I read something he wrote from his heart, especially when my heart was aching just as much when I read it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By garyn on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 07:56 pm:

Lil,

I agree with you, Newhouse is still near the top in being supportive of the A's.

My wife and I met in 1999. She was one of the few people who would regularly call the Rich Herera show (Maria from Berkeley) in the tough years when names like Reyes, Johns, Telgeder and Prieto populated the starting rotation. It was especially sweet for us to share the A's new found pitching riches as Hudson, Zito and Mulder came on the seen.

I remember watching Mulder throw an 80 or so pitch gem in the final game of the AAA World Series to wrap up the title for Vancouver. And it seems like only yesterday that Huddy was making his debut against the Padres, striking out 11 with that splitter and Zito worked out of the bases loaded jam against the Angels by striking out the middle of their order.

The Big 3 kind of defined a whole period in our lives. It is really hard to believe that it is over. Part of me is excited to see what all our young guys can do - I had gotten into so much of a "we have to win" mentality" that it just wasn't as fun watching the team anymore. But I know that when we start to play, when we go through those first couple of weeks, it is really going to hit me. When Huddy isn't out there on opening day, there is going to be a real feeling of loss. And as for my wife, she has been a real trooper about this. She just hates it when any of our guys get traded away.

And for me the saddest thing is that Mulder ended on that horrible note last September and that we couldn't give Huddy the kind of send off he truly deserved. In baseball as in life, we don't always have control over our endings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 08:29 pm:

garyn,

I hear you and my sentiment is right there with yours... I do remember Maria and how stoic she was to call Rich Herrera, giving some
sense to all the rhetoric he spewed out there every night.

I never thought the post game shows could get any worse after Herrera but it did, so I just stopped listening to it completely. Now I just listen to pre-game shows and to Marty. When the game recap ends I turn off the radio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 08:38 pm:

Bigthree, I've thought the same thing. Put it this way, I am sure Billy was happy he could work a deal with Atlanta for Huddy. And, Mulder being from Chicago, well, St.Louis puts him pretty close to the old hometown. Of course, the bonus is they both landed in the NL, which is definitely something Billy wanted to see. And each is with a team which might be successful in re-signing them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseozzie on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 09:01 pm:

He

Writes

For

The

OAKLAND

TRIBUNE!!!!

'NUFF SAID.......

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.