Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Beane: Fans will be pleased with new trade acquisitions

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Beane: Fans will be pleased with new trade acquisitions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 12:20 pm:

We only hope. But seriously, this is a good article. Reading the detail on each guy, sure makes me feel better. Also, in the article Beane says if the deals hadn't been done, no way they could have kept their arb-eligible players.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/oak/news/oak_news.jsp?ymd=20041220&content_id=924430&vkey=news_oak&fext=.jsp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 12:29 pm:

It's good we hear from the horse's month, which we all want to hear. Doom and gloom is starting old plus a lot of transactions still to come this offseason. So, all those lazy sportswriters who giving the Angels, the AL West right now should wait until the 40 man roster is set for all clubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jtraeg on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 12:36 pm:

This is a team now that for the next couple years will be getting better instead of worse as far as wins are concerned. Im exited because of that. Its like 2000 all over again,when we were just abunch of young guns and hopefully when 2001 comes around well be able to pull it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 12:46 pm:

Truth is, to this point anyway, the Angels have really not made any big splashes with their signings. They have improved in center ... but not with Beltran. And in spite of his attitude, Guillen provided an awful lot of offense for them last season and a gun on D, which Anderson doesn't have. They are still short in starters ... as are Seattle Texas. So, those making the predictions better wait and see whether the Angels bulk up their starting staff.

Yeh, we lost two of the best pitchers in the game, but our entire pen is better than last year with some decent back up a call to Sacto, away. Our offense is better too. Yes, we will miss JD, but I still think our offense is better overall, than it was, even w/o the big right handed bopper need being filled.

As sad as it is, we were going to lose Huddy and Mulder, anyway ... it was just earlier than thought. With our improved pen, a good year from Zito and Harden and decent years from the rookies, we just may surprise all. And I have to admit, now I'm getting excited over seeing these rookies play. Could we be declaring Beane "the genius" once again for his deals when the season is over?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 02:03 pm:

DJ, it's strange but I'm optomistic for some reason too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 02:23 pm:

We used our starters to fill gaps, the pen is now deeper with Cruz and Calero, we've added Ginter, Crosby will have another year, his offense should improve, Swisher will be up a full year. We just need a guy to protect Chavvy. The rotation is more or less set, given the 5th spot, if Etherton mows them down in the spring. Zito, Harden, Blanton, Meyer and Haren is a nice set, not bad...given their credentials. We'll see more 6-5 games then we have in the past, but hopefully we add that big bopper from the right side. Beane essentially removed the ticking time clock, which quite possibly had one year left, now if we don't make it this year, we 2006 and 2007 to look forward too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By buzz on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 02:34 pm:

Our pen was less-than-adequate for MOST of last season. At it's best, it was adequate, and that was for only short stretches. Now it's a strength. Our offense, even with Dye's departure, has improved because of Kendall, Ginter, Thomas, and Crosby's natural progression as a big-league hitter. The question marks will be the back of the rotation, after Haren. (Meyer and Blanton.) And neither guy will pitch as bad as Mulder did in September, more than likely.

Seattle is banking on Sexson's health, and that's a big risk. (Just like Kotsay's health was a risk for the A's last year. Lucky for us, it was a non-issue.) And what about Garret Anderson? Can he play 140+ games anymore? Every team in the division is praying for some luck next year...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 02:54 pm:

This is a little page from the Angels, recipe for success, fixing the pen. The staff was questionable at times, but the one consistency throughout was their pen. When our starters hit a lull, Mulder, Redman at home and injured(Hudson) that was the team, our hitting wasn't anything to write home about and the pen stunk, we'd score 2, they'd score 3. Hopefully our starters can give us 6 a start. 7 for Zito and Harden.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 03:52 pm:

I agree with DJ. While the shock of losing Mulder was extreme, it made sense if you look at it in the context of the Huddy deal. Without Huddy, we weren't going to win it all next year anyway, so why not deal Mulder at that point to reinforce us further for 2006 (without theoretically giving up on 2005)? I think if these prospects progress naturally, Zito could be traded at the deadline or in the next offseason as well. However, if the prospects develop really quickly, we will probably hang onto Zito through 2006 to make a run at it.

Don't get me wrong, I still don't like dealing Huddy and Mulder. But the two trades are making more sense now.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.