Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A's Team Salary

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A's Team Salary
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lazyslob on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 10:01 am:

Beane is trying to keep a $60 mil payroll. Here’s what we’re looking at so far:

Known salaries:
Zito – 5.5mil
Bradford – 1.4mil
Rincon – 1.9mil
Kendall – 9.5mil (10 mil salary minus 500K deferred)
Chavez – 8.5mil (8.0mil salary + 500K signing bonus payout)
Hatteburg – 2.3mil
Ginter – 600K (assuming he reached his escalator clauses)
Ellis – 400K
Kotsay – 5.5mil
Total Salaries: 35.6mil

Known expenditures:
Dye – 1.5mil buyout
Hammond – 200K buyout
Redman/Rhodes – 1.0mil Trade payoff
Total expenditures: 2.7mil

Here’s where the guesswork comes in. Feel free to correct any estimates below:

Remaining 25-man roster (Estimated 2005 salary):
Harden – (500K)
Blanton – (350K)
Haren – (350K)
Meyer – (300K)
Calero – (350K)
Duchscherer – (330K)
Melhuse – (400K)
Crosby – (500K)
Scutaro – (320K)
Swisher – (300K)
Thomas – (350K)
Total estimated salary: 4.05mil… so we’ll round up to 4.1mil.

Remaining 40-man roster:
15 players at an average of 100K each = 1.5mil.

Total estimated 40-man salary thus far: 43.9mil
That leaves about 16mil for arbitration and any other signings.

Arbitration:
Cruz (made 370K in 2004) 2.0mil in 05?
Dotel (Made 2.8mil in 2004) 4.0mil in 05?
Byrnes (Made 328K in 2004) 2.0mil in 05?
Kielty (Made 347.5K in 2004) 500K in 05?
Durazo (Made 2.1mil in 2004) 5.0mil in 05?
Arbitration total estimate: 13.5mil.

Grand (very rough estimate) total: 57.4mil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 10:09 am:

That leaves 2.6 million for Gonzalez...or are we going after Ordonez, is that why we're trying to move Byrnes and possibly Bradford? I'd probably think Ordonez would get a contract similar to Dye's, with more incentives though and maybe an extra year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 10:34 am:

Actually Kotsay's salary is $6.5mil per. Dugout Dollars (my salary source ... only one I can find) never updated his salary. It was $5.5mil at SD; he had a clause in his contract re a trade which increased his annual salary by $1million per season. Otherwise, lazyslob, I think your figures are very close. In fact, I read in one of the papers (online) yesterday an estimate of $58mil. But it is still not clear to me whether or not they include the 15 roster players who don't make the big club in the figures they hand out or not.

Raiderjohn, IF they were to sign Juan Gone, they could probably get him for less than $1mil. Course, there would be incentives, which would be fine. Last I saw, his best offer was $500k from TB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 10:37 am:

I am pretty sure that Kotsay now makes 6.5, due
to the trade clause that boosted his salary by
a million when traded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 12:40 pm:

Ordonez would be a HUGE pickup for the A's. I know the guy was hurt a little bit but when he's back on track the guy is an offensive machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 12:49 pm:

Don't I know that. There's huge questions on his health though...reason why Dye is in White Sox laundry. Don't know what he's thinking at this point, one year it prove he's healthy then go for big bucks, play for incentives. If I were Beane, I'd call up his agent and lay out an offer, 2 years 10 million guaranteed with incentives and a 3rd year team option if on field standards are met, 280 games played, 1000 at bats, etc....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pokayoats on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 12:53 pm:

Ain't gonna happen. His agent is Boras.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:13 pm:

Well we're back to Juan Gone for the RH pop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bigthree17 on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:30 pm:

We'll never do that because if he reaches his incentives then the cost is prohibitive. If he's hurt and doesn't reach his incentives then it's a waste of the guaranteed salary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mulder4cyoung on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:36 pm:

I think it would take a lot more than 4 or 5 mil per to get Ordonez. Remember, Sexson pulled 10mil plus per year and he has half Mags track record, plus hes a crappy defender at 1st wheras Mags is a good defender in Right. He will still get big money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:39 pm:

BB's been quoted myraid times indicating that the FA market is not an option. This is pretty much a given with our organization anyway. That point is exacerbated by the fact that we've been burned the few times we dibble-dabble in the FA market, anyway...i.e., Karros, Singleton, Gant, Justice, etc.)

FAHGETABOUTIT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:41 pm:

Also, we went through all this heartache trading Huddy and Mulder only to see the payroll go up. Makes to sense to take a risk on a FA hitter w/an injury history. Only exception is if we sign a guy for the league min w/incentives of no more than $2 mil total.

My 2 cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:44 pm:

Justice was a trade (from the Mets and they paid part of his salary). And wasn't Gant a trade from the Rockies? Not sure about that one, but am sure about Justice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 01:50 pm:

Yeah, you're right. DJ was traded. Gant was traded, then let go. Then signed as a FA...I think. Anyway, you get my point. FA just doesn't look to be an option for us. you agree?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 02:01 pm:

I agree. But there is always the chance they could luck out with a mediocre/low-priced one, as Billy has done in the past. But for any guys who are going to cost, it is a no-no. And based on the contracts we're seeing some of these guys get, it is indeed, a huge gamble. History shows us that, as well. IMO, Vlad Glad is probably the best FA deal picked up by anyone in recent years ... a guy who isn't likely to dog it in the future, but earn every cent ... as long as his back holds out. It was a smart of him moving to the AL, where he can get half days off (DH) now and then.

The biggest gaffe in FA pickups this year, looks like it could be Pedro. But then the Mets seem to have bad history in that area. The guy already has a partial tear of the labrum. Looks suspiciously like their deal for Hopalong Vaughn, to me ... with possibly similar results.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.